Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Brad should try to add Trouba. This would be a very solid blueline.

Tanev - Rielly
McCabe - Trouba
OEL - Liljegren

I don’t know if I’d call it really solid. There’s still only 1 top pairing dman, and 2 more legit top 4 dmen. And it’s not like they can fit it under the cap.

Happy the B's got Zadorov for $500,000 more.

No chance Tanev plays till he's 40

Why? Tanev is unquestionably the better dman, and he’s cheaper. Tanev might not be a top pairing dman anymore, but he’s still a good second pairing guy. Zadorov has never, and will never be a top 4 dman.

How long until he goes to Robidas Island?

I wonder if they were able to insure his contract for this exact reason. You’d think any insurance company would flat out refuse it.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Only 4 years too long, still good right??
The length is interesting, I feel like there’s some sort of understanding that the last couple years will be spent on Robidas Island but there will be a new CBA in that time and it’s possible changes could get made to the LTIR rules.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It’s a dumb deal. It’s proven time and time again for the past 8 freaking years that no matter who you surround the core with they just don’t have “it”. So next off season finally they rid themselves of Marner and JT, but Tanev will be 35 already and continuing his decline. I still don’t think Leafs win a round in 2025. He will be 36 during the 2026 playoffs when the Leafs can finally do something in the playoffs after getting rid of those 2 boat anchors. This signing is absolute garbage.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
yeah it's too much term but how many decent players didn't get too much term or are overpaid or both ?

my blueline was crap , our last GM gutted our picks and left a weak prospect pool with little coming up that can help in the near future or in the future period , so our options were

overpay for ufa D's

or

don't sign anybody and write off the year and hope to sign younger quality D at more reasonable prices next year

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
yeah it's too much term but how many decent players didn't get too much term or are overpaid or both ?

my blueline was crap , our last GM gutted our picks and left a weak prospect pool with little coming up that can help in the near future or in the future period , so our options were

overpay for ufa D's

or

don't sign anybody and write off the year and hope to sign younger quality D at more reasonable prices next year

They are already writing off the year as this is 1st round and done team again with the same core. By the time 2026 playoffs arrive, he will be 36 and further declining. Or are they delusional enough to think 9th year will go any different than the previous 8?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
It’s a dumb deal. It’s proven time and time again for the past 8 freaking years that no matter who you surround the core with they just don’t have “it”. So next off season finally they rid themselves of Marner and JT, but Tanev will be 35 already and continuing his decline. I still don’t think Leafs win a round in 2025. He will be 36 during the 2026 playoffs when the Leafs can finally do something in the playoffs after getting rid of those 2 boat anchors. This signing is absolute garbage.
Agree mostly, JT is what he is and waiting a year would have been smart. I’ve never understood all the mariner hate.
The other guy killing the Leafs is Reilly who has offense (yet can’t run a power play) and is 3rd pair level bad in his own zone. Any top pair where Reilly is one of the two will be a failure.
Recheck those game 7 highlights he is directly responsible for both goals against in a 2-1 game 7 loss.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
They are already writing off the year as this is 1st round and done team again with the same core. By the time 2026 playoffs arrive, he will be 36 and further declining. Or are they delusional enough to think 9th year will go any different than the previous 8?
This year isn't written off and Tanev's play may fall off a cliff in the near future or he may age gracefully and still have value like Hainsey did at an older age , only time will tell .

I would have forced JT to waive and even with an 11m cap hit he's only owed less than 1m in actually salary , all it would have taken was to sit him down and tell him it's his choice to play out the final year of his deal but he'll be in a very reduced role and he won't be offered an extension . JT isn't retiring at the end of this year and he'll whine like the bitch he is playing 12/13 mins on the 3rd line with 2nd pp usage so they'd be a very good chance he'd waive .

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I would have forced JT to waive and even with an 11m cap hit he's only owed less than 1m in actually salary , all it would have taken was to sit him down and tell him it's his choice to play out the final year of his deal but he'll be in a very reduced role and he won't be offered an extension .
Being punished for not waiving your CBA negotiated right?
A) it doesn’t happen.
B) if they tried how many picks will the punishment from the league total.

With all the empty threats he’s still a 2nd line C.
No longer top level but no indication that he’s dogging it. His skills are regressing with age.
An attempt to punish him for this would be met harshly by the league and the NHLPA.

Don’t blame him for getting old. Blame Shanahan for the length of contract.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Being punished for not waiving your CBA negotiated right?
A) it doesn’t happen.
B) if they tried how many picks will the punishment from the league total.

With all the empty threats he’s still a 2nd line C.
No longer top level but no indication that he’s dogging it. His skills are regressing with age.
An attempt to punish him for this would be met harshly by the league and the NHLPA.

Don’t blame him for getting old. Blame Shanahan for the length of contract.
it has nothing to do with punishing him , he can't keep up with the play and without having a 90 plus point winger on his line driving the play and padding his stats it would be even more obvious how much of a liability he is

basically all he can do and does is take face offs well and hang around the net front , that's it

and i don't blame him for getting old , i blame him for being a selfish prick who puts padding his stats above trying to help the team win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad