Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
You realize he has to suffer a career ending injury right? You can't just tell Tanev " hey we know longer need you anymore and eve tho your perfectly healthy and still want to play, were gonna need you to commit fraud and risk a massive lawsuit.
Not happening. He's going to play the entire six years.
Jake Debrusk signed a 7 year dealsbd will still be younger than Tanev is today.
What does Debrusk have to do with this? I like the Debrusk contract.

And my guy, I don't know how to break it to you, almost every NHL player is dealing with so many lingering injuries that a doctor could deem them "unfit to play". Especially with all the accumulated injuries Tanev has.

Literally just last season the Leafs waved away Murray and Klingberg with "injuries" when it was convenient for them. We see this every year, a team in a tight cap situation finding an "injured" player to go LTIR.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he’s worth over 5 Million, technically this is more like a 3x4.5M deal with the rest of the contract on LTIR because the leafs can afford it.

Age 34/35 season coming (Dec 20th birthdate). This has a lot of risks for someone approaching mid 30's (let alone early 30's). $4.5M is decent if you get what the Stars got last year. But lets not forget, the Stars are a complete team and it wasn't just Tanev who made them a good team on D. In fact, Stars D was better in the 22/23 season. Not saying Tanev made it worse on his own but someone saying he is a shutdown expert is reaching.

This has low % to age well. Might get 1 or 2 good years from age 34-36. I think his shutdown ability is being over exaggerated. He's a hitter and good at blocks. Takeaways and Giveaways per 60 is nothing to brag about. He does show up every shift though. Leafs need that

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
This is a good add for the Leafs. Obviously a few years too long, but cap will go up a fair amount. I'm guessing Tanev would have been at 5.5-6 on a 4 year deal based on what the market was paying. Leafs did well to keep the cap low for next year when they really need it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is an awful deal because it is, but I cannot emphasise how utterly brilliant he was in the playoffs. Shutdown MacKinnon big time.

All Toronto needs is one Cup to justify this move and them with Tanev is much better than them without him.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
Riding McDavids coat tails… 20 odd goal scorer without him.

It was so satisfying watching the Oilers get sent home with their tail between their legs.

I may be mistaken, but didn't they get to game 7 of the SCF and lose by 1 goal?

If I were to assume your username is based on a certain player who doesn't get out of the first round and can't score in elimination games... would I be correct?

Apr 9, 2009
USA

It was so satisfying watching the Oilers get sent home with their tail between their legs.

Dude you're a Leafs fan trying to make fun of a team that made it to the finals. Like a child punching an adult in the leg. More annoying than anything. Maybe next time.

Saying a guy can turn a 20 goal scorer into a 50 goal scorer is actually a compliment too, and you're using it as an insult. So silly. The dude had the same ability on your team, he's just on a better one now.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

Hmmm someone is a bit salty about Hyman doing better in greener pastures

Your team went down 3-0 against Florida in round 2, laid down and died, and that was their greatest accomplishment as a franchise in the last 15 years:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What does Debrusk have to do with this? I like the Debrusk contract.

And my guy, I don't know how to break it to you, almost every NHL player is dealing with so many lingering injuries that a doctor could deem them "unfit to play". Especially with all the accumulated injuries Tanev has.

Literally just last season the Leafs waved away Murray and Klingberg with "injuries" when it was convenient for them. We see this every year, a team in a tight cap situation finding an "injured" player to go LTIR.

It’s crazy how hard Murray committed to the fake LTIR bit, he even got double hip surgery just to really sell the illusion.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It’s crazy how hard Murray committed to the fake LTIR bit, he even got double hip surgery just to really sell the illusion.
I'm not on team "Murray conspiracy". I do think he was legit injured obviously. But it's likely he could have played if he pushed it, and originally it sounded like he wanted to. The Leafs just dealt him a quid pro quo to get surgery and go on LTIR.

I'm just saying the Leafs have had no issue sending guys to Robidas Island when convenient for them. And that is clearly the intended outcome with Tanev.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not on team "Murray conspiracy". I do think he was legit injured obviously. But it's likely he could have played if he pushed it, and originally it sounded like he wanted to. The Leafs just dealt him a quid pro quo to get surgery and go on LTIR.

I'm just saying the Leafs have had no issue sending guys to Robidas Island when convenient for them. And that is clearly the intended outcome with Tanev.

What was the quid pro quo, a 1 year league minimum deal? The slam dunk lawsuit Murray would have if he was forced to get a serious surgery he didn’t need for his team’s financial benefit via explicitly fraudulent measures would be worth more than anything the Leafs could offer him.

Mar 26, 2010
Dude you're a Leafs fan trying to make fun of a team that made it to the finals. Like a child punching an adult in the leg. More annoying than anything. Maybe next time.

Saying a guy can turn a 20 goal scorer into a 50 goal scorer is actually a compliment too, and you're using it as an insult. So silly. The dude had the same ability on your team, he's just on a better one now.
They played trash teams in the west. They had a free pass. Talbot and a 3rd stringer. Come on man.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Three rounds later than the Leafs ? Matthews/Marner/Taveres/Rielly must love playing golf in the spring...

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

The funniest part is he doesn't even seem to realize that he's actually insulting the Maple Leafs, too.

Apparently Zach Hyman is a total bum and only scored 70 goals for the Edmonton Oilers this season because he was "riding McDavid's coattails" and without him, he's just a 20-goal scorer.

That must mean that McDavid is light years better than any of the bums he played with in Toronto. (Strangely, as a Leafs fan, you would think he'd be aware that Hyman actually scored 21-goals in 51-games for the Maple Leafs in 2019-20 which had him pacing for 34-goals.)

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Don't sell Klingberg short, he *also* got hip surgery to really make it convincing.

Part of why it fooled so many people was because Klingberg and Murray were both Unrestricted Free Agents so the each literally were going to forfeit millions of dollars but simply missing the entire season, but they were such team guys they were willing to make that sacrifice.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Don't you think Murray would have earned a lot more money on his new contract if he actually played last season if he was capable? Your conspiracy theory doesn't even make sense.

You can't honestly be trying to claim that Matt Murray faked an injury, multiple doctor's risked their careers committing fraud by claiming he was injured and then a professional athlete then went and got an unneccessary hip surgery (that would have to be done by an unscrupulous doctor) all so the Maple Leafs could avoid his salary?

Do you honestly believe this?

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
No meaningful downside for Toronto with this one. If he wasn’t 34 he would be making 7 mil. OEL on the other hand is gonna be bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad