Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Turns 35 mid season (just before Xmas) and has only played over 70 games once. Just downright egregious to throw him six years. I get that they see his shutdown, shot blocking style as an ideal fit on the right side, but that doesn't mean you go to absurd lengths to make it happen.

If he's healthy for the playoffs I guess that's all they really care about. But that seems so far from being a guarantee unless they sit him out all year.

Out of 492 regular season games across the six seasons on this contract, would you take the over or under on him missing 199.5 of those games?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
And the first year of it will probably be another 1st round exit, LMAO. So 1 good year out 2 or 3 is already wasted. As long as the 4 amigos are all in Toronto, there won't be any playoff success. Leafs management is a joke. If you think he is the missing piece for the Leafs to go far, you're delusional. I am sorry.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
This is one of the worst FA deals in recent history.

There’s very very little upside to this. Atleast most guys getting term are usually still young and have something left to give.

He’s got what, 1-2 years to give?

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Their window is the best 4 years so signing him is fine, but 6 years at that hit? What was he asking for over say 4 years? It can't have been like $6m so the longer term for lower cap hit isn't quite as beneficial. And a full protection clause too.

This looks like it'll age badly but we shall see.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, if LTIR continues to be a thing then this shouldn't be a problem, right? TOR has the cash, and LTIR takes care of cap space?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Tre got his target, so that’s ok. 4.5 is fine. Committed some resources to just gain his rights so I can imagine the laughs in here if he wasn’t signed.

Hopefully he has Giordano genes where he’s pretty good until 39. If not, the Island awaits.

In the end I hope term is a moot point because the team had success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad