Proposal: TOR - CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Leafs have a major concern in net. We all know Matthews contract is expiring and the Leafs need to make the most of it. Tavares' is only getting older and will decline, I feel like our window to really contend is right now. We cannot afford to waste any more prime years of Matthews/Marner without giving them a good chance to compete/contend for a cup and Matthews is also having a career year. We will most likely be playing Florida/Tampa in the first round and I don't think this current roster, especially goal tending is good enough to get it done against either one. We need to address the blue line as well, but that is pointless without stability in net first.

Proposal is for Fleury, please make counter offers if this does not address Chicago's needs. Dubas needs get a deal for MAF done, we desperately need a goaltender and I'm really not confident going into the playoffs with this tandem.

To Toronto

Fleury with 50% retention (3.5M)

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2024, Mrazek (3.8M)

Is that enough for MAF ? He's 37 and most likely will not re-sign here, pure rental but a good one at that. We'd have to send Mrazek for cap purposes.

I'd have a lot more confidence in a tandem of Fleury/Campbell

EDIT: Changed the 3rd round from 2023 to 2024, as Arizona has the choice between 2023 3rd or 2025 2nd.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I'm Chicago, I'd rather just a plain old 1st, which other teams are likely to offer.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I mean if the team has no illusions of competing for a while, then this makes a lot of sense.

I don't think Chicago is planning on contending next year, Toews/Kane are both UFA's at the end of next season. It seems like they'll be rebuilding around Debrincat/Dach/Jones + next couple drafts, they don't have a 1st this year either.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Leafs have a major concern in net. We all know Matthews contract is expiring and the Leafs need to make the most of it. Tavares' is only getting older and will decline, I feel like our window to really contend is right now. We cannot afford to waste any more prime years of Matthews/Marner without giving them a good chance to compete/contend for a cup and Matthews is also having a career year. We will most likely be playing Florida/Tampa in the first round and I don't think this current roster, especially goal tending is good enough to get it done against either one. We need to address the blue line as well, but that is pointless without stability in net first.

Proposal is for Fleury, please make counter offers if this does not address Chicago's needs. Dubas needs get a deal for MAF done, we desperately need a goaltender and I'm really not confident going into the playoffs with this tandem.

To Toronto

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2023, Mrazek (3.8M)

Is that enough for MAF ? He's 37 and most likely will not re-sign here, pure rental but a good one at that. We'd have to send Mrazek for cap purposes.

Seems Okay.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Don't believe that the Leafs would give up a "Chicago choice" of picks; as it would potentially handicap them for 2 years. Also don't see them "dipping into" next year's pool of picks on a Fleury deal. I'd also question whether the Leafs a prepared to burn their 1st on the goal-tending position.

That being said, the premise of Mrazek+ for Fleury at 50% makes a lot of sense. Leafs keep their Muzzin cap flexibility, get to push the reset button on the Mrazek signing; while Chicago gets a mediocre goalie for 2 years at a mediocre price.

I think if anything, a deal probably looks more like Toronto's 2nd 2022 and Travis Dermott as the plus; or that 2nd+ a non-Niemla/Knies/Robertson prospect...or maybe it's Toronto's 1st, but they get a 3rd back, or you put together something bigger where the Leafs get 2 of Hagel/Murphy/Fleury

Reactions: zeke

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Don't believe that the Leafs would give up a "Chicago choice" of picks; as it would potentially handicap them for 2 years. Also don't see them "dipping into" next year's pool of picks on a Fleury deal. I'd also question whether the Leafs a prepared to burn their 1st on the goal-tending position.

That being said, the premise of Mrazek+ for Fleury at 50% makes a lot of sense. Leafs keep their Muzzin cap flexibility, get to push the reset button on the Mrazek signing; while Chicago gets a mediocre goalie for 2 years at a mediocre price.

I think if anything, a deal probably looks more like Toronto's 2nd 2022 and Travis Dermott as the plus; or that 2nd+ a non-Niemla/Knies/Robertson prospect...or maybe it's Toronto's 1st, but they get a 3rd back, or you put together something bigger where the Leafs get 2 of Hagel/Murphy/Fleury
Maybe Dubas will be kind enough to give us the next Jeremy Bracco ? Seriously Dubas is in the hot seat.If the Leafs lose in 1st rd again he will be gone,not to mention up to 4 or 5 Teams want Fleury.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

To Toronto

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2023, Mrazek (3.8M)

2023 3rd can't be moved

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Maybe Dubas will be kind enough to give us the next Jeremy Bracco ? Seriously Dubas is in the hot seat.If the Leafs lose in 1st rd again he will be gone,not to mention up to 4 or 5 Teams want Fleury.

I'm sure there are... but call me crazy, I just don't see him garnering at first round pick even with 50% retention.

Maybe I'm wrong and he does, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for Dubas to blow that 1st round pick on a pure-rental goalie.

Reactions: teddygmr

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
2023 3rd can't be moved

Ah I wasn't aware. But something along the same lines.

I think it addresses both teams needs. I've seen some people worried about spending a 1st on a goalie, but Fleury is still a legitimate starting goalie in the league and he just won the Vezina. I think we will be competing with Colorado/Edmonton for Fleury, which will likely bring the price up a bit. I would love to upgrade on D, but if we keep getting goaltending like this, it doesn't matter how good the blue line is. You're just not going to win.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I'm sure there are... but call me crazy, I just don't see him garnering at first round pick even with 50% retention.

Maybe I'm wrong and he does, but that doesn't mean it makes sense for Dubas to blow that 1st round pick on a pure-rental goalie.
Really ? He won the VEZINA last year and has 3 Cups.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Really ? He won the VEZINA last year and has 3 Cups.

Goalies are tough to get that kind of value out of.

For a team to be willing to trade their 1st round pick for a rental at the deadline, they've gotta be a pretty good team.

If they're a pretty good team, chances are, they have pretty good goaltending. Fleury might be better than their current #1, but the difference probably isn't big enough to justify that 1st rounder, which could be spent on an impact position player.

I look around the league... people mention Colorado, but really, Kuemper & Francouz have been pretty good. If you told me they should be in the market for some depth, I certainly wouldn't argue on that point.

Edmonton might solve all their problems with a goalie that can be well above .900 and below 3.00; but they are currently on the outside looking in, and I'd question whether it makes sense for a team in that position to drop a 1st on any rental.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Goalies are tough to get that kind of value out of.

For a team to be willing to trade their 1st round pick for a rental at the deadline, they've gotta be a pretty good team.

If they're a pretty good team, chances are, they have pretty good goaltending. Fleury might be better than their current #1, but the difference probably isn't big enough to justify that 1st rounder, which could be spent on an impact position player.
Okay Connor Murphy ,Fleury (Hawks pay 50% this yr) for 1st rd 2022 or 2023 and Knies and 6th rder Dahlstrom and Mrazek

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
If we spend the 1st on MAF, then we might as well package a 2nd+ and go after Chiarot.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

To Toronto

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2024, Mrazek (3.8M)

EDIT: Changed the 3rd round from 2023 to 2024, as Arizona has the choice between 2023 3rd or 2025 2nd.

Y'know who Toronto's Goalies will be this post-season?

Jack Campbell & Peter Mrazek.

Reactions: DarylO and teddygmr

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Okay Connor Murphy ,Fleury (Hawks pay 50% this yr) for 1st rd 2022 or 2023 and Knies and 6th rder Dahlstrom and Mrazek

Not sure if the Leafs would actually trade Knies right now (or in that deal). I suspect a more likely outcome would be something along the lines of:

-Connor Murphy
- Fleury @50%

- 2022 1st
- 2023 2nd (becomes 2023 1st if the Leafs make the finals this year, or if they make the semis and Fleury plays at least 50% of the games)
- Mrazek
- Dahlstrom
- Steeves, Abrusseze, Hirvonen, or Abramov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad