Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] N. Foligno (75% retained), S. Noesen to TOR; '21 1st and '22 4th to CBJ; '21 4th to SJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Blake Coleman and Barclay Goodrow both went for 1sts. Thing is: how many teams are A) a depth player away from being legit contenders and B) can absorb the salary of said player. Foligno - like Coleman and Goodrow - is a good player to have, but carries a higher cap hit.
Coleman and Barclay did go for firsts however both had a year remaining on deals that were great cap hits. It was really a very late first considering the standings at the time of the deal for 2 playoff runs. Even then I'd have to say though worked out was a high price. Foligno is a straight rental and well are Wild really a Foligno away from being contenders? I thought they needed a centre more than anything??

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Didn't a 42 yr old Paul Gaustad with 0-0-0 return a first one year?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Coleman and Barclay did go for firsts however both had a year remaining on deals that were great cap hits. It was really a very late first considering the standings at the time of the deal for 2 playoff runs. Even then I'd have to say though worked out was a high price. Foligno is a straight rental and well are Wild really a Foligno away from being contenders? I thought they needed a centre more than anything??
The hole at top-6 center is bad enough that spending assets anywhere else is borderline impossible to justify.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Weaker draft years makes those picks less relevant. That said, I would still sell off pending UFAs regardless.

I think with the situation with this year’s season, it could be foreseeable that a team gets one of their top 5 prospects on their board at the end of the first round. Conversely if CBJ is sitting with Tampa’s pick at 30 without any of their top priority guys on the board still, there could be another team jumping to get back in the first round willing to give up multiple 2nds to get their top guy. It’s going to be a much wilder game of throwing darts this year but it doesn’t mean that 1st rounders don’t still have high value. Until the pick is made they’re just assets that could be used in a variety of ways.

Reactions: HabsTown and Monk

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Definitely not for a 1st, but I wouldn't mind trading for Foligno.
Unless Foligno is faster than I think he is, or a better Center than I think he is, I don't see it. He would be a great add for a team like TOR. MN desperately needs a decent C who can win a FO, and speed to help them forecheck and backcheck against the talented young CO Blue line. The last thing they need is another LW, unless CBJ is prepared to take one back.

Last edited:

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Foligno absolutely does not deserve a 1st....but I would not be surprised if a team paid for it. Foligno checks a lot of the boxes in what contenders look for in the Playoffs.

Columbus is probably taking into both Lockerroom and ICe production as the value here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Or Daniel Winnik returning a 2nd, among other things, from the Pens that year...

I don't think Foligno is worth a 1st, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes for one.
I liked Winnik. Thought he was underrated.

Reactions: BHD

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Foligno absolutely does not deserve a 1st....but I would not be surprised if a team paid for it. Foligno checks a lot of the boxes in what contenders look for in the Playoffs.

Columbus is probably taking into both Lockerroom and ICe production as the value here.

So you're saying he is a leader as part of his intangibles, but that shouldn't be part of his value?

Yea... thats BS.

Reactions: Viqsi

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I say go for it. Then trade another 1st for Laughton. Fletcher loves Minnesota people.
Hey Minny.....Laughton at 50% is only 1.15 million

this year NF 16 pts in 42 games, Laughs 17 pts in 37 games....edge Laughts
last year NF 31 pts in 67 games, Laughts 27 pts in 49 games....edge Laughts
2 yrs ago NF 35 pts in 73 games, Laughts 32 pts in 83 games....edge NF

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

And he plays center!! He really may be the best option out there but I haven’t been paying too much attention to the buyers market.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Seems to be better on draws too, which has been killing us.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Tbh Laughton and Foligno make sense for different reasons, but only if we can dump Johansson and Bonino (And I wish Rask). Idk that we'd extend Laughton though so I can't really see a deal materializing there.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tbh Laughton and Foligno make sense for different reasons, but only if we can dump Johansson and Bonino (And I wish Rask). Idk that we'd extend Laughton though so I can't really see a deal materializing there.
still....a 1.15 million dollar rental that gets all his points at ES on mostly the 3rd line, is valuable. Maybe I should have posted that too....last 3 years:

Foligno: 82 pts in 182 games....68 at ES
Laughton: 76 pts in 168 games...74 at ES

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
still....a 1.15 million dollar rental that gets all his points at ES on mostly the 3rd line, is valuable. Maybe I should have posted that too....last 3 years:

Foligno: 82 pts in 182 games....68 at ES
Laughton: 76 pts in 168 games...74 at ES

I personally like Laughton, but with him being an UFA I don't see Billy G being interested. He's been pretty clear about not going after rentals. (Although that makes the Foligno rumors real strange).

Reactions: Tripod and Bazeek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad