Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] N. Foligno (75% retained), S. Noesen to TOR; '21 1st and '22 4th to CBJ; '21 4th to SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Wouldn't be surprised if it's Vegas. Funnel him through a 3rd team to get the cap down and send maybe Carrier out the other way. Biggest need other top line center is 3LW.

I could see this. CBJ retains 50%, a third team retains 50% gets his contract down to 1.375M. Carrier is at 1.400M

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I've seen this type of comment a lot.

Foligno isn't your typical edgy third liner, or necessarily even a third liner come playoff time.

Through 10 playoff games last summer he was actually leading all of the league's forwards in ice time. The intangible leadership stuff is hard to quantify but it does matter too. He was also on half a dozen Selke ballots last year. He fills a very very big role.
The dude has made it out of the 2nd rd 2x in 14 years. He's a career minus in the playoffs and scores at about a 35 pt pace.

He is a 3rd liner on any team that is trying to seriously contend. That said, good for you if you can get a 1st or 1st plus for a rental.

Reactions: Pia8988

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Nice stat massaging there. How many of those years included appearances in the first round to begin with?
To answer your question since apparently your internet is blocking hockey-reference for some reason: 8

But let's recap the situation and see if you can follow why your post is a swing and a miss:

CBJ fan claims that Foligno is a proven playoff performer.

Evidence is used to say he's really not that much of a playoff performer.

Your defense is: He's only played in 8 playoff series and that's not enough to say he's not a great playoff performer.

So then you now agree he's not a proven playoff performer. Thanks, glad we agree.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
To answer your question since apparently your internet is blocking hockey-reference for some reason: 8

But let's recap the situation and see if you can follow why your post is a swing and a miss:

CBJ fan claims that Foligno is a proven playoff performer.

Evidence is used to say he's really not that much of a playoff performer.

Your defense is: He's only played in 8 playoff series and that's not enough to say he's not a great playoff performer.

So then you now agree he's not a proven playoff performer. Thanks, glad we agree.
Hon, if I actually wanted to engage in a debate with you instead of merely calling out blatant nonsense, I'd have done so.

He primarily contributes defensively.

Reactions: Summer Rose

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The dude has made it out of the 2nd rd 2x in 14 years. He's a career minus in the playoffs and scores at about a 35 pt pace.

He is a 3rd liner on any team that is trying to seriously contend. That said, good for you if you can get a 1st or 1st plus for a rental.

I'm fairly confident that his playoff performances will speak for themselves to any GM that wants to review them and see what he might be worth to them. The last two playoffs, through 20 games, he is a plus player while playing shutdown versus the top scorers in the East. If you play those minutes and don't get buried then you are a valuable piece.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'd be shocked if Sakic traded a 1st straight across for Foligno. It doesn't seem like a Sakic move at all, and it would be the first time since becoming GM that he's traded a 1st.

Now, if CBJ wanted to take Compher's contract off our hands or help us out by sending us some 2021 picks on top of Foligno, then I could see Sakic being interested.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Too many fans just go to hockeydb and freak out. I'd be thrilled to add Foligno for just a first. It's going to be in the 20's anyways, and the Leafs have a real chance to win Canada and compete. He brings the exact playoff style game teams can't enough of. Intangibles are not just a buzz word. And he plays hard.

If you are out in the first round then yeah, it sucks. But as of now the Leafs first is likely 23rd OA at best anyways given the standings. If they make the semi's or finals, who cares about the first? Better than moving cheap ELC players ready to contribute.

Move a first and then make another deal with some minor prospects for a vet D who can be our #7D and contribute if called on in the playoffs on the bottom pair and we're set.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I'm fairly confident that his playoff performances will speak for themselves to any GM that wants to review them and see what he might be worth to them. The last two playoffs, through 20 games, he is a plus player while playing shutdown versus the top scorers in the East. If you play those minutes and don't get buried then you are a valuable piece.

This exactly. Adding Foligno may not seem sexy for a team like the Leafs, but it allows them to put him on the 3rd line and make it a checking line, or even put him with Tavares and Nylander if you want to match them vs a guy like McDavid. It frees up Hyman to not be in a checking role and play winger in the top 6.

I'll be upset if another team gets him.

Reactions: Toe Pick and Viqsi

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I mean it's not everything, but his xGA and xGF% over the last 2 playoff years aren't great and are 2nd worst on his team.

I can supply a screen pic from Natural Stat Trick if you want.

Look, I think someone WILL give up a 1st. I just think it's dumb. I wouldn't give up a 1st for Noel Acciari either, yet he's better defensively and equal offensively over the last 2 years.

But most NHL Gms are living in 1974 thinking.

Reactions: JoemAvs

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A late 1st isn't all that valuable. A Cup is.

Trying hard to get anyone but MN pay up for Foligno.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jesus Christ Sakic.

Just don't do it.

Let someone else take the bullet!!!

I've just been setting the record straight on Foligno as a player, not saying to any particular fanbase that this is the player for you, not selling the player. To each their own.

But I can't quite understand why Colorado fans are so attached to their late 1st pick. Why is a ~30th OA pick so important to you, especially when you have 1) that team that should be gunning for the cup right now, and 2) haven't struck gold on a draft pick outside of the top 10 picks in 12 years. Foligno can absolutely be the difference between winning it all and getting knocked out, and you'd rather have the 30th?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Too many fans just go to hockeydb and freak out. I'd be thrilled to add Foligno for just a first. It's going to be in the 20's anyways, and the Leafs have a real chance to win Canada and compete. He brings the exact playoff style game teams can't enough of. Intangibles are not just a buzz word. And he plays hard.

If you are out in the first round then yeah, it sucks. But as of now the Leafs first is likely 23rd OA at best anyways given the standings. If they make the semi's or finals, who cares about the first? Better than moving cheap ELC players ready to contribute.

Move a first and then make another deal with some minor prospects for a vet D who can be our #7D and contribute if called on in the playoffs on the bottom pair and we're set.

GMs also thought trading a 1st for Paul Gaustad or Filip Forsberg for EDIT: Martin Erat ( of course. Sorry for the brainfart) at the deadline would be a smart idea...

IMO giving up a 1st for Foligno is very much in the same ballpark from a hilariously stupid overpayment at the deadline after GMs completely lost their mind perspective..

I am just saddened that my GM who IMO had a solid case for GM of the year before this due to this stellar work in the offseason is even considering this travesty....

I am not saying Foligno is not valuable or a bad player but a 1st is just insane for him

Reactions: Atoyot

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I've just been setting the record straight on Foligno as a player, not saying to any particular fanbase that this is the player for you, not selling the player. To each their own.

But I can't quite understand why Colorado fans are so attached to their late 1st pick. Why is a ~30th OA pick so important to you, especially when you have 1) that team that should be gunning for the cup right now, and 2) haven't struck gold on a draft pick outside of the top 10 picks in 12 years. Foligno can absolutely be the difference between winning it all and getting knocked out, and you'd rather have the 30th?
We haven't been legitimate contenders in over a decade. It's a foreign feeling to us and we don't know how to react.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
GMs also thought trading a 1st for Paul Gaustad or Filip Forsberg for Joel Ward at the deadline would be a smart idea...

IMO giving up a 1st for Foligno is very much in the same ballpark from a hilariously stupid overpayment perspective..

I am just saddened that my GM who IMO had a solid case for GM of the year before this due to this stellar work in the offseason is even considering this travesty....

I am not saying Foligno is not valuable or a bad player but a 1st is just insane for him
*Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

Reactions: JoemAvs

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean it's not everything, but his xGA and xGF% over the last 2 playoff years aren't great and are 2nd worst on his team.

I can supply a screen pic from Natural Stat Trick if you want.

Look, I think someone WILL give up a 1st. I just think it's dumb. I wouldn't give up a 1st for Noel Acciari either, yet he's better defensively and equal offensively over the last 2 years.

But most NHL Gms are living in 1974 thinking.

This isn't a dinosaurs versus analytics debate.

It's largely the analytics folks that just voted Foligno on their Selke ballots (I believe on six ballots).

Reactions: Korg

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If you think in terms of "is Foligno worth a first" you're not thinking how GMs like Sakic and Dubas likely frame it. They see it as "is he one of those players that adding to this roster will likely dramatically improve our chance for a deep playoff run?"

If they believe he does, and giving up a late-round first in a very messy draft year is what it's going to take, then they'll do it.

* Dramatically improve can be re-phrased multiple ways with the same basic effect

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
According to Russo today--

GMBG has no interest in dealing away a 1st. And thats likely even if CBJ were willing to take Rask.

Edit: Whoops, mentioned in last page lol

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
GMs also thought trading a 1st for Paul Gaustad or Filip Forsberg for EDIT: Martin Erat ( of course. Sorry for the brainfart) at the deadline would be a smart idea...

IMO giving up a 1st for Foligno is very much in the same ballpark from a hilariously stupid overpayment at the deadline after GMs completely lost their mind perspective..

You don't see the difference between trading a first for a 4th liner or a prospect like Forsberg for him vs a late 20's first in a weird draft?

Like if they moved Robertson for Foligno that would be laughably bad. But I don't care about losing a first if we go deep.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
I don’t believe this noise coming from Servelli about all these teams throwing first rounders for Foligno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad