Proposal: TOR-CAR

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why wouldn’t the Canes re-sign Chatfield. He’s still theirs nail July 1. It makes no sense for them to give up Drury to replace Chatfield when they can easily keep both.
Exactly. Chatfield isn't going to require some massive contract to keep. He knows our system and he can play up and down the lineup as needed. If the top 4 next year is Slavin - Burns / Orlov - Chatfield then that's what we roll with and then maybe look to bring in a cheap veteran to play with a younger player on the bottom pair.

There's actually decent mid tier and depth defensemen available for signing this year. Just only a few guys who are able to play in the top 3.

Reactions: Fatass

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I don’t hate the idea, don’t love it either. Seems like a fair deal, but like others have said, the Canes can just retain Chatfield and look to deal Drury for help elsewhere(if they even deal him at all).

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
While the proposed deal might make sense value-wise, I get the sense that the Leafs need to go "bigger game hunting" when it comes to centres.

Obviously Matthews is #1.
Tavares will be a begrudging #2, but you'd really want him to be #3, or "2A and 2B" kind of situation.
Kampf should be #4, but Holmberg & Dewar could also fit into this spot.

Minten is a guy that you'd probably want to start on the wing, or maybe in the #4C spot.

Is Matthews-Tavares-Drury-Kampf really the group you're happy with next year??

Practically speaking, that leaves 1 spot open for a centre acquisition... and I think the Leafs need to set their sights on a younger guy who could be a legitimate #2 within a year or two, rather than somebody who probably tops out as a #3.

That being said, I could also be wrong in my assessment of Drury... he's only got 114 games of NHL experience and is only 24. He hasn't exactly had a ton of ice time in Carolina. If the Leafs believe he can be a legit, 60-point #2 centre with a little bit of development, then that's probably not a terrible idea at all.

Run Matthews & Domi as a #1 line, Drury & Nylander as a 2nd line and Tavares & Robertson as a 3rd. Insert Knies, McMann, and maybe a piece of a Marner deal on the left side.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
While the proposed deal might make sense value-wise, I get the sense that the Leafs need to go "bigger game hunting" when it comes to centres.

Obviously Matthews is #1.
Tavares will be a begrudging #2, but you'd really want him to be #3, or "2A and 2B" kind of situation.
Kampf should be #4, but Holmberg & Dewar could also fit into this spot.

Minten is a guy that you'd probably want to start on the wing, or maybe in the #4C spot.

Is Matthews-Tavares-Drury-Kampf really the group you're happy with next year??

Practically speaking, that leaves 1 spot open for a centre acquisition... and I think the Leafs need to set their sights on a younger guy who could be a legitimate #2 within a year or two, rather than somebody who probably tops out as a #3.

That being said, I could also be wrong in my assessment of Drury... he's only got 114 games of NHL experience and is only 24. He hasn't exactly had a ton of ice time in Carolina. If the Leafs believe he can be a legit, 60-point #2 centre with a little bit of development, then that's probably not a terrible idea at all.

Run Matthews & Domi as a #1 line, Drury & Nylander as a 2nd line and Tavares & Robertson as a 3rd. Insert Knies, McMann, and maybe a piece of a Marner deal on the left side.
It would be:
Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi/X
Knies-Drury-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok/X
Holmberg-Dewar-Reaves/X

Kampf gone.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Leafs have Zero signed RHD that would make the team is all healthy
Lil as RFA would be the only Leafs RHD, and they have plenty of bottom 6 C

not to mention Minten & Cowan are likely on the squad next season.
Leafs dont need an undersized bottom 6 center

Timmins, and you have a deal ...he's a signed RHD, but, he should only be an injury replacement ...and the reason you should turn the deal down also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad