Value of: Top-9 forward (LW) to Anaheim

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Ducks got Lindholm and Rakell settled and Despres is on LTIR for probably the entire season. They need another top-9 forward, especially when they're going for it and making owners spend to the cap. It also doesn't discount the fact they have a ton of good defensive prospects and Fowler's chances of being extended grow by the moment. He's been really good.

Ritchie Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silfverberg
_____ Vermette Rakell
Garbutt Wagner Boll/others

There's a pretty clear need here, either an ELC/low contract RFA or an impending UFA in the next few years. Ducks have to offer: Theodore, Montour, Larsson, Pettersson. Some very good defensive prospects.

If your player has over ~1.5m contract (otherwise sending Stoner to AHL makes it work), Stoner has to come with it and Ducks add assets accordingly. Who's out there aside from the already beaten to death proposals like JVR? Doesn't necessarily need to be top-6. A good 3rd line LW will do as well.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If you are offering the listed D prospects I think you will want more than a good 3rd line LW.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Shinkaruk has been looking really good in the AHL. Not sure if Calgary will be able to protect him and he doesn't really fit on our current team

Could use some defensive help for next year.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
If you are offering the listed D prospects I think you will want more than a good 3rd line LW.

He could be a good 3rd line LW right now but on an ELC with far more upside....

Ducks could use picks or Pettersson, not necessarily the best assets....

Didn't really imply trading Theodore for a 30 year old career 3rd liner...

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
As much as I agree another LW is needed, a 3rd line LW seems like a trade deadline acquisition ala Jamie McGinn for Anaheim last year. Don't think any of our young d prospects will be required to trade.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Shinkaruk has been looking really good in the AHL. Not sure if Calgary will be able to protect him and he doesn't really fit on our current team

Could use some defensive help for next year.

Does he even have to? Thought 1st/2nd year pro meant he had to play x amount of nhl games.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Why do you have Rakell on the right? He's never played there. We should be looking for a third line RW.

He's played on RW, mostly at the lower levels. LW is the position that he's newest to, playing his first games there during last season.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
He's played on RW, mostly at the lower levels. LW is the position that he's newest to, playing his first games there during last season.

fair enough. But he's been playing LW or center on this team. seems weird to just change what we've been using him so far.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Ducks got Lindholm and Rakell settled and Despres is on LTIR for probably the entire season. They need another top-9 forward, especially when they're going for it and making owners spend to the cap. It also doesn't discount the fact they have a ton of good defensive prospects and Fowler's chances of being extended grow by the moment. He's been really good.

Ritchie Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silfverberg
_____ Vermette Rakell

There's a pretty clear need here, either an ELC/low contract RFA or an impending UFA in the next few years. Ducks have to offer: Theodore, Montour, Larsson, Pettersson. Some very good defensive prospects.

If your player has over ~1.5m contract (otherwise sending Stoner to AHL makes it work), Stoner has to come with it and Ducks add assets accordingly. Who's out there aside from the already beaten to death proposals like JVR? Doesn't necessarily need to be top-6. A good 3rd line LW will do as well.

If you are offering the pieces you listed (Theo/Montour/Larsson etc), why is JVR out of the question? Stoner could come back if the deal is good enough for Toronto.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
fair enough. But he's been playing LW or center on this team. seems weird to just change what we've been using him so far.

He's probably our most versatile forward with respect to where we put him. I wouldn't worry about it. With that said, I'd wait and see where Carlyle finds the best use out of him before I'd start penciling him in somewhere. We don't really know where Rakell is at right now. Luckily, he got some playing time in during the WC. So he shouldn't be completely rusty.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
JVR for Fowler was a deal that was discussed before Despres went on LTIR.

Fowler is off the market. Lindholm took less so that we could keep him. Gonna be a little bit of wait for the Ducks D to be back on the market, I'd think. Maybe something shakes loose closer to the TDL. Barring that, I assume there will at least be a little movement in the summer.

Beckett

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
We have enough 3rd line 2-way forwards.

Garbutt is a quality 3rd liner. Crammer has looked great on the 4th line as well so I'd like to see what he can do there going forward. If the Ducks are going to get another forward I think it has to be a high skill guy that can force his way into the top 6. Eventually Id like to see Thompson in the 4th line Center spot and Wagner on the wing.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
If you are offering the pieces you listed (Theo/Montour/Larsson etc), why is JVR out of the question? Stoner could come back if the deal is good enough for Toronto.

He's not, as far as I'm concerned, as long as cap moves away in the deal. However, I would imagine most Ducks fans, including myself, would prefer to move one of the young D prospects for a forward of comparable age and talent.

The OP says we need a top nine forward and I agree. That doesn't imply it has to be a third line winger. I would actually prefer a top six winger who could slot into our first or third line since our 'second line' is a shutdown line that should not be heavily looked upon for offense.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think the only deal is a prospect or ecl for another OR stoner for an equivalent salary. I would be ok adding a sweetener to upgrade the overall quality but otherwise I don't think we will trade any Core piece given the comments from our gm and lindholm. Those assets are off the table until the offseason.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The continuing development of Ritchie has made the need for a top 9 LW much less important.

When Rakell comes back they'll have Ritchie, Rakell, and Cogliano as their top LW's. That's not bad.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He's not, as far as I'm concerned, as long as cap moves away in the deal. However, I would imagine most Ducks fans, including myself, would prefer to move one of the young D prospects for a forward of comparable age and talent.

The OP says we need a top nine forward and I agree. That doesn't imply it has to be a third line winger. I would actually prefer a top six winger who could slot into our first or third line since our 'second line' is a shutdown line that should not be heavily looked upon for offense.

Ya, things have changed...i would have been ok swapping JVR for an equivalent D (preferably RHD)...but watching JVR play with Marner....my mind is changing.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Ritchie Getzlaf Perry
Cogs Kesler Silfverberg
_____ Vermette Rakell

Theodore,Montour and Larsson are not being traded for a 3rd line quality forward and especially not one who needs to be protected from expansion draft.

We are not trading one for 2 years of JVR who also needs to take up a protection spot.

JVR for Fowler was a deal that was discussed before Despres went on LTIR.

With how good Fowler has been a Fowler for JVR deal ain't happening.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Still don't know how we got Maroon with salary retained for a 4th and Gernat. He's pretty much the ideal 3LW. And seems like an unreal teammate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad