Top 40 Canucks of All-Time Preliminary Discussion Thread - Lists Now Being Accepted

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Well... 3 days and no lists submitted. Should I be worried?

what's the deadline again? (also probably best to update the OP with that info)

i can send a list in the next couple of days, but after the top 20, most of them will just be barely educated guesses. sorry, would have liked to really think about and learn about all the chris oddleifsons but life got busy.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
what's the deadline again? (also probably best to update the OP with that info)

i can send a list in the next couple of days, but after the top 20, most of them will just be barely educated guesses. sorry, would have liked to really think about and learn about all the chris oddleifsons but life got busy.

Next Sunday, Jan. 18th @ 6:00pm PST.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Is there a form that's best to submit it in? Like a word or excel file, or just written out in the message?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Is there a form that's best to submit it in? Like a word or excel file, or just written out in the message?

I don't know if you can send files by PM? I will be adding the results to a spreadsheet so if you figure out a way go for it. Otherwise;

1. Joe
2. Steve
3. Dave

would be fine.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Bump back to first page.

The deadline to sumbit your top 60 list is 2 days away.

I'll be away for the weekend, so I'm hoping I'll come home Sunday night to a plethora of lists. Fingers crossed.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Top 60 is done, just want to spend an hour tomorrow tinkering with it.

I have Curt Fraser at #60, is that too low?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Top 60 is done, just want to spend an hour tomorrow tinkering with it.

I have Curt Fraser at #60, is that too low?

on my phone right now but i think i have him 20 spots higher i have him a little higher than you, low 50s

Last edited:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The forwards I have ahead of him, in ascending order: Samuelsson, Higgins, Hansen, Schmautz, Cassels, Odjick, Boldirev

Still need to do a second glance over the list though. This is just the rough draft.

Though in regards to another common conundrum I am firmly going Adams-Ronning-Courtnall in that order.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The forwards I have ahead of him, in ascending order: Samuelsson, Higgins, Hansen, Schmautz, Cassels, Odjick, Boldirev

Still need to do a second glance over the list though. This is just the rough draft.

Though in regards to another common conundrum I am firmly going Adams-Ronning-Courtnall in that order.

38. hansen
42. gelinas
43. odjick
45. williams
46. momesso
50. oddleifson
51. fraser

i have samuelsson, higgins, schmautz, cassels, and boldirev all below, though boldirev is my #53 and i'm starting to think that i'm severely underrating schmautz.

i have ronning and adams consecutively-- could go either way, but ronning is one spot ahead. courtnall is four spots behind those guys. but it's very tough; at their best, courtnall was almost certainly the biggest difference maker of the three.

but i've got quite a bit of tinkering and reading up before i submit tomorrow. my top 30-35 is pretty set in stone, except for minor tweaks. 35-60 is a giant mess.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
i'm going to just tier mine as I had an 18 hour day yesterday and on call to leave again today. If i get a chance to finalize it i will resend but the 60 guys will be the 60 guys regardless of exact order, more or less...lol

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
my top 30-35 is pretty set in stone, except for minor tweaks. 35-60 is a giant mess.

That's probably true for every list.

i'm going to just tier mine as I had an 18 hour day yesterday and on call to leave again today. If i get a chance to finalize it i will resend but the 60 guys will be the 60 guys regardless of exact order, more or less...lol

We always have the voting rounds to figure everything out.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
We always have the voting rounds to figure everything out.

That's exactly what I was thinking, got my list in ended up with 6 goalies, 16 or 17 Dmen and the rest were forwards.

Man some really not so great players ended up making the lsit

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, agreed on Adams-Ronning-Courtnall. Similar-level players but Adams has to be highest because he was here for much longer. Also I put a fair bit of weight into his clutch OT goals in 1994.

Fraser I have at #52.

As others have stated, my top-30 I'm quite comfortable with, the 31-60 range is a bit of a hodge-podge.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
oh my god guys, if you thought adams vs. courtnall vs. ronning was hard, how about john gould vs. rick blight vs. ron sedlbauer? who the f were these guys?

and how do they fit relative to bobby schmautz and his one big season, or darcy rota's?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
list submitted. some highlights:

40. odjick

47. hansen
48. momesso
49. fraser

52. brown
53. mitchell
54. malhotra

and my next two guys were:

61. cooke
62. pederson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
oh my god guys, if you thought adams vs. courtnall vs. ronning was hard, how about john gould vs. rick blight vs. ron sedlbauer? who the f were these guys?

and how do they fit relative to bobby schmautz and his one big season, or darcy rota's?

I have Rota and Schmautz at 45 and 46, as they had had other good seasons in addition to their career years, and also had a quality reputation for grit and two-way play.

Sedlbauer, Gould, and Blight I didn't list.

Sedlbauer's Cy Young season was his only year as a Canuck he didn't get sent to the minors or traded. Blight had a reputation as a slug with a big shot, and fizzled quickly after a good start to this career - he and Sandlak were the two highest scorers not to make my list. Gould I simply don't know enough about.

The bottom 10 guys on my list are probably interchangeable with the best 10 who didn't make it.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
list submitted. some highlights:

40. odjick

47. hansen
48. momesso
49. fraser

52. brown
53. mitchell
54. malhotra

and my next two guys were:

61. cooke
62. pederson

Just based on some of the comments here I feel like Cooke has been underrated. Very similar to Hansen. I think I had him in the mid 40s

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Just based on some of the comments here I feel like Cooke has been underrated. Very similar to Hansen. I think I had him in the mid 40s

I have Cooke at 43 and Hansen at 50.

Cooke is 17th all-time in GP. I have him ranked behind everyone in the top 20 in GP aside from Butcher, but at some point length of service has to come into play. Plus he was a terrific playoff performer.

vadim - Hansen ahead of Cooke? To me Cooke was a better player here for longer.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Cooke is 17th all-time in GP. I have him ranked behind everyone in the top 20 in GP aside from Butcher, but at some point length of service has to come into play. Plus he was a terrific playoff performer.

I think mine was similar for both. And I agree Cooke was better. I think he brought a lot of the same elements but was more capable of playing a scoring role when called upon.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

i had cooke at 55 in an earlier draft, hansen has been around 45-50 this whole time for me.

i think in a vacuum they are pretty much the same player, actually. maybe cooke looked better for his spell with naslund and morrison than hansen has with the sedins, but basically both are good third line wings who forecheck very well, and PK. there are small differences: hansen gets pushed around less, but also doesn't draw penalties as effectively. but that gap between 47 and 61, which is actually a pretty small gap all told, is because hansen played on teams that did something; cooke didn't. not necessarily cooke's fault, but still. for this project, if i had basically the same guy but one contributed to a team that made a deep run and the other didn't, i'd go with the guy whose efforts resulted in success, even if the difference was really just circumstance.

all that said, cooke was solidly on my list in the 50s, but then i sort of just lazily couldn't figure out who did what between blight, gould, and sedlbauer and put them all at the bottom and pushed cooke out. the previous discussion about him by hardyvan might also have swayed me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad