Top 3 Concerns Heading into the playoffs

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Goals per game in a playoff series is meaningless though, especially when they were inflated by the blowout in Game 7. The bottom line is this team, namely Getzlaf/Perry need to have more of a killer instinct and finish teams off when they have the chance. They've completely **** the bed as a team in the past two G7's, but they never should have allowed either series to get to G7 in the 1st place. At the end of the day, I think this roster is good enough to win the Cup. *As long as 10/15 are at their best.

The game 7 blowout may have inflated LA's numbers, but the Ducks still only scored two goals. Nothing inflated about that. My gut tells me that goal scoring is less in the playoffs across the board due to tighter checking and defensive play in the postseason, so I would expect some drop off, I just question that Getz and Perry will suddenly become dominant as if they are just sandbagging right now. If they continue like this, it puts more strain on the depth scoring lines and I'm not sold on this current depth forward group to be able to carry us offensively. Though, the trade-off this summer was supposedly a little offense lost for better two-way play, so I do like this group much better in that regard, so we'll have to see if it pans out.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
On the bright side. If the concerns about BB bear out, then the Ducks could get a new coach :p

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
How would LA scoring 6 goals in game 7 effect our goals per game numbers?

I should have elaborated better, but my point is that it wasn't lack of offense, in total, why we lost that series. You take out that G7 and it was 13-13 in goals in that series. We just didn't score the timely goals, e.g. G1 OT/G6 equalizer.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
That looks swell on paper, but this team finished last season with a league-leading 3.21 gpg, only to see their production fall off in the playoffs (potting 2.14 gpg through the LA series). It was a lack of offense that contributed to our playoff bump last season, and I don't see this year's team as being very inspiring in that regard. The twins are struggling, our PP is once again struggling, and our depth lines tend to struggle to finish the chances they create. We also struggle to maintain a dangerous breakout or counter-attack as the defense gets hemmed-in far too much and we have very few forwards that can carry the puck into the zone effectively.

So I see a team that once again seems to have all the offensive tools to get the job done, but underneath the stats I see many of the same problems that can make offense tough to come by in the playoffs. It's a concern.

Maybe getting Vats and Beleskey back will paint a different picture.

So you have a crystal ball then that shows our offense won't translate to the playoffs? We didn't have trouble scoring goals last year, we had trouble scoring on Jonathan Quick. We scored 20 goals against Dallas (3.33 goals per game) so all you've pointed out is an excellent offensive team can be stifled by a world-class goalie. You can't predict a goalie will be other-worldly going into a series so all we can base our predictions on now is how this group is playing and they're scoring plenty of goals.

Keep in mind we have 8 different players from last year's playoff squad so you can't just assume the same struggles they had will be replicated. I think you're imagining these "same problems" since this team is getting a ton of chances lately. It's not like we're scoring flukey goals or relying on the power play. This is a talented squad that can put the puck in the net and that's with Getzlaf and Perry's production being way down.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
So you have a crystal ball then that shows our offense won't translate to the playoffs? We didn't have trouble scoring goals last year, we had trouble scoring on Jonathan Quick. We scored 20 goals against Dallas (3.33 goals per game) so all you've pointed out is an excellent offensive team can be stifled by a world-class goalie. You can't predict a goalie will be other-worldly going into a series so all we can base our predictions on now is how this group is playing and they're scoring plenty of goals.

Keep in mind we have 8 different players from last year's playoff squad so you can't just assume the same struggles they had will be replicated. I think you're imagining these "same problems" since this team is getting a ton of chances lately. It's not like we're scoring flukey goals or relying on the power play. This is a talented squad that can put the puck in the net and that's with Getzlaf and Perry's production being way down.

Uh, double-check the thread premise on the bolded, what does "having a crystal ball" have to do with me, or anyone in this thread talking from their gut as to what their concerns are for the playoffs? How could anyone know that coaching will be an issue, or goaltending, or defense, or anything else for that matter? None of those are currently issues holding this team back. Responses like that from you are just... ugh.

I listed the areas of our offensive game that currently concern me. You have addressed none of them. The short of it: I'm not convinced that the twins are just sandbagging, and I'm not sold on the goal scoring prowess of the rest of this group to make up the difference through a deep playoff run.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Is that where the Great Revision currently sits? Otherworldly goaltending sank us against LA? Neat.

Scoring pretty much always decreases in the playoffs, particularly as the rounds advance. It's beyond reason to suggest that our only predictive tool is current scoring, and conveniently enough, only that period of time in which our scoring is decent. Not surprising, but still beyond reason.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

So if someone sees flaws in the system BB is running (which heavily relies on dump and chase), they're claiming to have a crystal ball?

Dump and chase vs the Kings is the kiss of death. Speed beats that team, we've seen it all year. Guys like Stoll, Greene, Williams, Regehr haven't been able to keep up with fast players this year and are frequently getting beat

Quick wasn't other worldly against us. He had one game where he was in full control (game 2). The rest of that series we simply didn't test him and made life way too easy

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yeah Quick being other worldly is a huge exaggeration. He was ok but certainly not unbeatable.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Uh, double-check the thread premise on the bolded, what does "having a crystal ball" have to do with me, or anyone in this thread talking from their gut as to what their concerns are for the playoffs? How could anyone know that coaching will be an issue, or goaltending, or defense, or anything else for that matter? None of those are currently issues holding this team back. Responses like that from you are just... ugh.

I listed the areas of our offensive game that currently concern me. You have addressed none of them. The short of it: I'm not convinced that the twins are just sandbagging, and I'm not sold on the goal scoring prowess of the rest of this group to make up the difference through a deep playoff run.

I pointed out that we're scoring a lot of goals. You surmised that despite that fact there's a real possibility that it won't carry over to the playoffs. To me, that's making a prediction that isn't based in fact. You didn't list any specifics as to why our offense is successful now but might not be in the playoffs. Suitable examples could include we're scoring a lot of lucky goals, we're getting a lot of offense from our top players, we're relying on the power play, we've been playing really bad teams, etc. None of that is happening. The things you listed don't suggest our offense won't continue to succeed in the playoffs because those things aren't effecting our offense now.

As for the bolded, then why would they be concerns for the playoffs? It doesn't suddenly become a different game. My concerns going into last year's playoffs were Hiller, weak points on our D and our lack of strength up the middle and all of that was realized against the Kings. Murray fixed those areas. The only thing that's concerning right now is the lack of dominance from our top two players. I have to believe they'll give it their all every playoff game otherwise any of our other concerns are totally moot. Nobody wins without their best players carrying the load.

I'm not concerned about our power play because Vatanen's absence is major reason for its ineptitude. Since the start of the calendar year we were 13 for 52 (25%) before Sami went down. That's not a coincidence. Plus our power play looked way better against Vancouver and we could have had a couple of goals, one for sure when Lack robbed Perry. Our PK is strong, we're one of the better faceoff teams, we have scoring on every line, both of our goalies are strong. There's no reason any of these areas should be concerns.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Top 3 concerns

1. Fundamentals
2. Chemistry
3. Health

Fundamentals are for both coaching and player. Ex. Although Wiz got beat wide, Stoner went after the puck man instead of covering the goalie's backside and taking that player out. We have a goalie... let him play goalie. Doing the simple job is the hardest thing to do and yet it's Lindholm makes it look easy.

Chemistry... something has got to click before the playoffs. I suppose by teaching fundamentals, everyone on the ice can play on the same page: defending, pushing the puck forward, knowing whether to dump or carry the puck into the offensive zone, etc...

Health... I don't know if Getz, Perry, and Lindholm are 100%. Same with Andersen. yes, we have depth, but we need to be as healthy as we can going into the playoffs. Maybe with such a large lead, we can start rotating players to give extra day(s) off to heal.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Does BB have Getz and Perry separated full time now? What are the current line combos?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
In Games 1, 2 and 6 he was. If not for Quick early in that series we would have swept the Kings. That team didn't turn it on until Game 7.

Not really. Game 2 he stole but games one and six he wasn't anything special, we flat out didn't test him enough.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
1. BB far and away

2. Twins/Kesler
3. Goalies/consistency

We are stacked this year, if injuries don't pile up then we really SHOULD do some damage. Also, if BB fails yet again with this group I hope he is gone by puck drop next year.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I pointed out that we're scoring a lot of goals. You surmised that despite that fact there's a real possibility that it won't carry over to the playoffs. To me, that's making a prediction that isn't based in fact. You didn't list any specifics as to why our offense is successful now but might not be in the playoffs. Suitable examples could include we're scoring a lot of lucky goals, we're getting a lot of offense from our top players, we're relying on the power play, we've been playing really bad teams, etc. None of that is happening. The things you listed don't suggest our offense won't continue to succeed in the playoffs because those things aren't effecting our offense now.

[Yikes, this came out way longer than I had wanted, bear with me here, sorry!]

I'm not sure why "since January" is the correct window to evaluate. You could just as easily take our most recent games from the past month (Feb), or the games since the trade deadline (reflecting the roster changes), perhaps even just a couple weeks ago when Murray added Sekac. Seems arbitrary to me.

IMO, our offense is not as successful as it looks on paper. You can hang your hat on that GPG-since-January number, which is fine, but I would disagree on the effectiveness of our offense and the nature of our goal scoring. Look back at our recent games against other top teams, and you'll see that we are in fact struggling to score enough against those teams. We are scoring 1-2 goals and struggling to establish any sort of sustained pressure throughout those games. Not only are we not creating off the rush, but we are not generating enough in the way of scrappy goals when dumping and trying to cycle/muck around deep in the o-zone. Too many of our goals are coming from late game (3rd period) pushes when the other team is sitting on a lead and goes into a defensive shell. Recent games against LA and Detroit look nice in that GPG stat, but all of our goals (3 vs Det, 4 vs LA) came in the 3rd period blitz.

To me, it would appear that for all of our good effort in games, often carrying the play and generating many scoring chances, we still struggle too much to capitalize earlier in games when we can take control, and rely too much on the other team letting off the gas with a lead and allowing us to stage a comeback. Generating scoring chances and having the ability to finish them are two different skills, and our team has tons of the former and not nearly enough of the latter IMO. We are a scrappy offensive team, but not polished enough for the playoffs when those scoring chances are fewer and far between.

As for the bolded, then why would they be concerns for the playoffs? It doesn't suddenly become a different game.

The game absolutely does change in the playoffs, I don't get why people keep saying otherwise. Games are rarely as wide open as we see in the regular season, the checking is tighter and there is less space. This is why teams that play a wide open style and kill it in the regular season often fall short, especially the deeper you go into the playoffs. We see this every season. I'm really hoping this plays into our favor as we tend to generate more chances cycling and forechecking than we do the end-to-end style we played last season.

But to your point, if the game wasn't different in the playoffs, then Murray has lost his marbles making so many changes to the team for that single purpose. He said our #1 position in the league, maintained nearly all season long through all sorts of adversity, was "smoke and mirrors" heading into the deadline. He felt that we weren't as good as we appeared on paper. Obviously he thinks it changes as wel, and I'm simply saying as much here in regards to our offense.

My concerns going into last year's playoffs were Hiller, weak points on our D and our lack of strength up the middle and all of that was realized against the Kings. Murray fixed those areas.

While I agree with you on those areas, I still think goal scoring was an issue in that series. LA was a low-scoring team that entire season (26th in the league) and grinding out low-scoring games was bread and butter for them. That wasn't our game, we were going to win with rolling lines and waves of offense, which to me was never a great formula for playoff success. And while the series had tons of luck and close calls just like every series, our inability to generate that same sort of offensive game allowed LA to play more within their comfort zone than the Ducks. So while many feel the Ducks beat themselves at the end, I feel as if it was apparent that LA was slowly taking over the series and the conclusion wasn't surprising.

The only thing that's concerning right now is the lack of dominance from our top two players. I have to believe they'll give it their all every playoff game otherwise any of our other concerns are totally moot. Nobody wins without their best players carrying the load.

Agreed! But as I said, I don't like assuming that they are somehow holding back right now just waiting to hit some sort of magic switch. There's no saying that they will (unless you have a crystal ball ;)), and based on this statement you sound as if you agree with me that the rest of this lot aren't going to be able to carry the team offensively if the twins don't rise to the occasion. I won't put words in your mouth, it just reads that way to me.

I'm not concerned about our power play because Vatanen's absence is major reason for its ineptitude. Since the start of the calendar year we were 13 for 52 (25%) before Sami went down. That's not a coincidence. Plus our power play looked way better against Vancouver and we could have had a couple of goals, one for sure when Lack robbed Perry. Our PK is strong, we're one of the better faceoff teams, we have scoring on every line, both of our goalies are strong. There's no reason any of these areas should be concerns.

Again, why since January? Vats returning certainly won't hurt, but he and Wiz seem redundant, both manning the right-hand point on the top unit.

I dunno, our special teams lack consistency, I feel that at best they are not holding us back, but far too often it is a source of frustration. I don't see special teams being a strength that this team can rely on.

My entire post sounds negative, so I want to reiterate that I do like our chances going forward, this isn't a year that we need to be a powerhouse team as there doesn't seem to really be one in the NHL (reminds me of the 2012 playoffs). I don't think this team has many holes, we are also loaded with potential, so if offense is one of my main concerns and that is arguably not a real concern at all (to others), then I guess it is sort of a back-handed compliment to the team and their chances.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
[Yikes, this came out way longer than I had wanted, bear with me here, sorry!]

I'm not sure why "since January" is the correct window to evaluate. You could just as easily take our most recent games from the past month (Feb), or the games since the trade deadline (reflecting the roster changes), perhaps even just a couple weeks ago when Murray added Sekac. Seems arbitrary to me.

IMO, our offense is not as successful as it looks on paper. You can hang your hat on that GPG-since-January number, which is fine, but I would disagree on the effectiveness of our offense and the nature of our goal scoring. Look back at our recent games against other top teams, and you'll see that we are in fact struggling to score enough against those teams. We are scoring 1-2 goals and struggling to establish any sort of sustained pressure throughout those games. Not only are we not creating off the rush, but we are not generating enough in the way of scrappy goals when dumping and trying to cycle/muck around deep in the o-zone. Too many of our goals are coming from late game (3rd period) pushes when the other team is sitting on a lead and goes into a defensive shell. Recent games against LA and Detroit look nice in that GPG stat, but all of our goals (3 vs Det, 4 vs LA) came in the 3rd period blitz.

To me, it would appear that for all of our good effort in games, often carrying the play and generating many scoring chances, we still struggle too much to capitalize earlier in games when we can take control, and rely too much on the other team letting off the gas with a lead and allowing us to stage a comeback. Generating scoring chances and having the ability to finish them are two different skills, and our team has tons of the former and not nearly enough of the latter IMO. We are a scrappy offensive team, but not polished enough for the playoffs when those scoring chances are fewer and far between.

The game absolutely does change in the playoffs, I don't get why people keep saying otherwise. Games are rarely as wide open as we see in the regular season, the checking is tighter and there is less space. This is why teams that play a wide open style and kill it in the regular season often fall short, especially the deeper you go into the playoffs. We see this every season. I'm really hoping this plays into our favor as we tend to generate more chances cycling and forechecking than we do the end-to-end style we played last season.

But to your point, if the game wasn't different in the playoffs, then Murray has lost his marbles making so many changes to the team for that single purpose. He said our #1 position in the league, maintained nearly all season long through all sorts of adversity, was "smoke and mirrors" heading into the deadline. He felt that we weren't as good as we appeared on paper. Obviously he thinks it changes as wel, and I'm simply saying as much here in regards to our offense.

While I agree with you on those areas, I still think goal scoring was an issue in that series. LA was a low-scoring team that entire season (26th in the league) and grinding out low-scoring games was bread and butter for them. That wasn't our game, we were going to win with rolling lines and waves of offense, which to me was never a great formula for playoff success. And while the series had tons of luck and close calls just like every series, our inability to generate that same sort of offensive game allowed LA to play more within their comfort zone than the Ducks. So while many feel the Ducks beat themselves at the end, I feel as if it was apparent that LA was slowly taking over the series and the conclusion wasn't surprising.

Agreed! But as I said, I don't like assuming that they are somehow holding back right now just waiting to hit some sort of magic switch. There's no saying that they will (unless you have a crystal ball ;)), and based on this statement you sound as if you agree with me that the rest of this lot aren't going to be able to carry the team offensively if the twins don't rise to the occasion. I won't put words in your mouth, it just reads that way to me.

Again, why since January? Vats returning certainly won't hurt, but he and Wiz seem redundant, both manning the right-hand point on the top unit.

I dunno, our special teams lack consistency, I feel that at best they are not holding us back, but far too often it is a source of frustration. I don't see special teams being a strength that this team can rely on.

My entire post sounds negative, so I want to reiterate that I do like our chances going forward, this isn't a year that we need to be a powerhouse team as there doesn't seem to really be one in the NHL (reminds me of the 2012 playoffs). I don't think this team has many holes, we are also loaded with potential, so if offense is one of my main concerns and that is arguably not a real concern at all (to others), then I guess it is sort of a back-handed compliment to the team and their chances.

I chose to isolate games since the beginning of the calendar year because that's when we started scoring again. I could care less about our struggles during our injury and mumps-filled first few months of the season. Isolating the most recent games seemed an insignificant sample size. 28 games on the other hand is more than a third of the season.

But in that whole diatribe you still didn't point out anything that would suggest the way we're scoring goals now won't work in the playoffs. Hell if anything you supported my position. We're scoring more grinding-type goals these days. Last year's team scored a lot on the rush and with fancy setups and the Kings shot that down. I feel we're much more equipped to score the kind of dirty goals that actually win you games in the playoffs.

No the game doesn't change, the intensity does. This team last year had plenty of talent to go all the way minus a few aging players and a liability on the defense. They lost Game 7 because they couldn't match LA's desire to win that game. That's what this is going to come down to. If they want it as much as they seem like they do then they'll score a ton of goals. Look at the Kings. They were a dreadful offensive team but when the games really mattered they put the puck in the net. I'm encouraged by the amount of one-goal games we've won this year as an indication this group refuses to lose. We'll see if that's the case but I have to believe if they fight that hard to win in February, they'll fight that hard in May and June.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I chose to isolate games since the beginning of the calendar year because that's when we started scoring again. I could care less about our struggles during our injury and mumps-filled first few months of the season. Isolating the most recent games seemed an insignificant sample size. 28 games on the other hand is more than a third of the season.

But in that whole diatribe you still didn't point out anything that would suggest the way we're scoring goals now won't work in the playoffs. Hell if anything you supported my position. We're scoring more grinding-type goals these days. Last year's team scored a lot on the rush and with fancy setups and the Kings shot that down. I feel we're much more equipped to score the kind of dirty goals that actually win you games in the playoffs.

No the game doesn't change, the intensity does. This team last year had plenty of talent to go all the way minus a few aging players and a liability on the defense. They lost Game 7 because they couldn't match LA's desire to win that game. That's what this is going to come down to. If they want it as much as they seem like they do then they'll score a ton of goals. Look at the Kings. They were a dreadful offensive team but when the games really mattered they put the puck in the net. I'm encouraged by the amount of one-goal games we've won this year as an indication this group refuses to lose. We'll see if that's the case but I have to believe if they fight that hard to win in February, they'll fight that hard in May and June.

Ohhh, so it wasn't otherwordly goaltending, it was [thing that helps Joe win the current argument].

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014

I thought my point was pretty clear. We don't capitalize enough on the many chances we create, and we rely a little too much on 3rd period heroics for my liking. In the playoffs, chances are harder to come by, and 3rd period heroics are not going to take you very far.

Scoring from our depth players has been an issue all season, look through any thread at any point of the year, and note that the skill level/scoring of the roster has been talked about and addressed by Murray himself. If our scoring ability was "fine", then why did Murray address it? Why make the moves to bolster our offensive skill level? Why keep Beleskey? I'm thrilled with the deadline additions, but still not 100% convinced that the improvements are enough to make up for the continued struggles of Getzlaf and Perry.

And the game becoming more intense in the playoffs is the very thing that changes the game. Faster pace, more blocked shots, more physicality, etc... all of that adds up to less time, space, and opportunity to get quality scoring chances. Things become more of a grind, even if both sides are still sticking to their systems.

[edit #1] I realize you may be talking more about the style of goals the Ducks score, being the scrappy variety. Which serves us well in the postseason. I agree. I'm also making a case for the need for a bit more polish to go with that, and this team not having enough.

[edit #2] Getzlaf just fired in two goals (one on the PP) just to make me look dumb. Talk about a poorly timed argument!

Last edited:

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
how can a coach not be somewhat settled on lines with 14 games left? anyone?

Because he doesn't have an answer to our problems. He acts like he is lost.... I really do hope that Bruce can find some magic and get this team performing but having my doubts. I just wish the organization has the balls to fire him if we underperform again in playoffs. This team has sucked in two consecutive game 7's and if he gets outcoached again then he needs to be gone. Too much talent on this roster for so many uninspired performances

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Because he doesn't have an answer to our problems. He acts like he is lost.... I really do hope that Bruce can find some magic and get this team performing but having my doubts. I just wish the organization has the balls to fire him if we underperform again in playoffs. This team has sucked in two consecutive game 7's and if he gets outcoached again then he needs to be gone. Too much talent on this roster for so many uninspired performances

i think BM will fire him if we tank out early again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad