Top 3 Concerns Heading into the playoffs

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I'll start:

1) Coaching - I just get the feeling we're going to be infuriated with Boudreau's decisions during a 7 game series again. I guarantee he'll play Stoner over Despres against the Kings because he's a "playoff performer" according to the Ducks. I'm also very concerned he's going to play Thompson more minutes than Rakell just because he has more experience

2) Powerplay - Wiz and Vats will help it but I've never considered it's struggles a personnel issue. I think the system they use is just too stationary and doesn't create shooting lanes to the net at all.

3) Team defense - Our defense is much better now than it was at the start of the year. But some forwards need to do a better job of backchecking and winning battles to get the puck against the defenseman at the point.

overall i'm pretty optimistic about the roster right now. We have some clear flaws that can be addressed this offseason with one move

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Coaching. Bruce will **** with the lines, and get out coached on a nightly basis. Or do something crazy like start Gibson.

Oct 18, 2011
BB
Special teams
goaltending

my reason for BB, is simply he refuses to settle on lines, we are far too late in the season for him to drastically change every line every game. breaking up the kid line was pretty bad imo...

special teams....we all know they are mediocre to suck

goaltending......two young goalies and andersens appearance last year wasn't great

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Coaching
Special teams (PP in particular, this also falls under coaching category)
Goaltending
Getzlaf, Kesler and Perry's health/form.

I think everything else is looking pretty good.

If we're out in the 2nd round or earlier I hope BB is shown the door and we throw the kitchen sink at Babcock. He's the type of coach who will have sustainable success with this roster.

kicken

Mar 9, 2011
Stockholm
1. BB's PO record.

Speaks for itself. I'm not too sure this is the year he'll go further than the 2nd round.

2. Goaltending.

As long as Andersen performs as he's done when he's been healthy during the regular season, we'll be fine, but I'm a bit scared BB will go with the hottest goalie and I'm a bit afraid that it will eventually cost us some games. We need stability in the PO, not line juggling or changing goalies.

3. Bad luck

We will finish first in the division, so we'll face one of the wild card teams. LA being one of them is not too unrealistic and that kind of a draw would be ****ing horrendous knowing what kind of a PO team LA is.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Coaching.
Perry/Getz/Kes not stepping up.
Goaltending. (BB messing with it)

My first choice would be for the Kings to not even make the playoffs, however... if they do, as much as that would concern me to play them, I feel we need to face them and get some redemption.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Win-win situation. Ducks will either succeed or (I hope) go hard after Babcock. Therefore, zero concerns.

And what happens if we don't land Babcock? It's a 2 way street. If we don't get him there aren't really any known quantities out there. We'd be taking a gamble most likely with whoever we hire.

I'm personally ok with it because I'm sick and tired of BB line juggling and lack of adjustments.
Line juggling doesn't equal adjusting

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
1. Goal scoring... will we have enough offense?

2. Defense... do we have enough size/toughness on the back end to defend the front of our net, and will the added skill improve our transition and allow us to be hemmed-in less?

3. Game 7's.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
1. Goal scoring... will we have enough offense?

2. Defense... do we have enough size/toughness on the back end to defend the front of our net, and will the added skill improve our transition and allow us to be hemmed-in less?

3. Game 7's.

Goal scoring? You mean the team that's average 3.14 goals per game since January 1st might not score enough?

For me my only concern is effort and focus. This is all on the players. Boudreau's system works when they're moving their feet and using their brains. If these guys play like they want it and aren't afraid to lose like they've been in the previous Game 6s and 7s they can beat anybody.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Meh it won't be about effort, it will be about confidence. Lot of young guys, especially in net.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Goal scoring? You mean the team that's average 3.14 goals per game since January 1st might not score enough?

For me my only concern is effort and focus. This is all on the players. Boudreau's system works when they're moving their feet and using their brains. If these guys play like they want it and aren't afraid to lose like they've been in the previous Game 6s and 7s they can beat anybody.

That looks swell on paper, but this team finished last season with a league-leading 3.21 gpg, only to see their production fall off in the playoffs (potting 2.14 gpg through the LA series). It was a lack of offense that contributed to our playoff bump last season, and I don't see this year's team as being very inspiring in that regard. The twins are struggling, our PP is once again struggling, and our depth lines tend to struggle to finish the chances they create. We also struggle to maintain a dangerous breakout or counter-attack as the defense gets hemmed-in far too much and we have very few forwards that can carry the puck into the zone effectively.

So I see a team that once again seems to have all the offensive tools to get the job done, but underneath the stats I see many of the same problems that can make offense tough to come by in the playoffs. It's a concern.

Maybe getting Vats and Beleskey back will paint a different picture.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Special Teams

Getz/Perry getting back to form

Bruce - specifically if his "scheme" can be successful in the playoffs. Our team looks like it plays the best (by far) when trailing in games and the D gets active. In the playoffs I see us playing conservative, falling behind because we don't play well that way, and then it will be tougher to play the comeback game (also, when playing the comeback game we usually need our goalies to make a few huge saves on odd man rushes)

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
That looks swell on paper, but this team finished last season with a league-leading 3.21 gpg, only to see their production fall off in the playoffs (potting 2.14 gpg through the LA series). It was a lack of offense that contributed to our playoff bump last season, and I don't see this year's team as being very inspiring in that regard. The twins are struggling, our PP is once again struggling, and our depth lines tend to struggle to finish the chances they create. We also struggle to maintain a dangerous breakout or counter-attack as the defense gets hemmed-in far too much and we have very few forwards that can carry the puck into the zone effectively.

So I see a team that once again seems to have all the offensive tools to get the job done, but underneath the stats I see many of the same problems that can make offense tough to come by in the playoffs. It's a concern.

Maybe getting Vats and Beleskey back will paint a different picture.

Goals per game in a playoff series is meaningless though, especially when they were inflated by the blowout in Game 7. The bottom line is this team, namely Getzlaf/Perry need to have more of a killer instinct and finish teams off when they have the chance. They've completely **** the bed as a team in the past two G7's, but they never should have allowed either series to get to G7 in the 1st place. At the end of the day, I think this roster is good enough to win the Cup. *As long as 10/15 are at their best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad