Top 20 Quebecers in the NHL

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Imagine having to do business in French in a French speaking jurisdiction? Or worse, doing business in Japanese in Japan? In Swedish in Sweden? Is this really what you call "fascist"???

I would argue that trying to impose your dominant English language to a small nation that's struggling to survive is a lot closer to the F word than the other way around.
Quebec isn't a nation, it's a province. It exists with 9 other provinces and 3 territories to make up a country.

This belief that francophones are struggling to survive is a myth that gets perpetrated by charlatans and believed by the ignorant.

Nobody on the English side is trying to impose anything whether in or outside of Quebec. However the Quebec government, regardless of party, is trying to impose what language people speak at home, in public, or in business/institutions.

The government simply bullies the smaller organizations and they close up shop while other larger businesses tell them to F off and shockingly they do.

Look at the recent story about the music instruments industry. You think these companies that make those products, or the shop owners, are going to make the information sheets in French because the government wants them to? This market represents about .3% of the global share. They don't give a rats ass. The industry will simply crumble and people will resort to buying things from other provinces which will mean less money in Quebec.

Money is and has been leaving Quebec and it looks like it's going to get worse rather than better.

Is it fascism? No. However there are certainly elements of it there. Regardless as to whether it is or isn't, it's still wrong and counter productive.

People simply want to converse in whatever language they want. Please show me another place in the world where the people are forced to speak the native language, not by natural reasons, but by governmental decrees.

Anyways, back to the original topic of conversation.

Hockey Quebec has been a disaster for decades and I saw it first hand by coaching for about 6 or 7 years. They want to do things different (shocking) than any other province despite other provinces having success when Quebec hasn't.

Soccer registrations skyrocketing have no impact on hockey because it's different seasons. The expectation that the top athletes play their sport all year round has had a bigger impact as the top athletes for the longest time were also multi-sport athletes.

They also messed up the associations with sports etudes and now it's just a giant disaster where kids don't develop because the competition isn't good enough at either level to truly push the kids since all leagues are watered down.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Imagine having to do business in French in a French speaking jurisdiction? Or worse, doing business in Japanese in Japan? In Swedish in Sweden? Is this really what you call "fascist"???

I would argue that trying to impose your dominant English language to a small nation that's struggling to survive is a lot closer to the F word than the other way around.
Last I checked Quebec was one of many provinces in a country in which the official languages are French and English. Imposing a "dominant English language" because small companies can't afford to print separate products to appease a small percentage of their market and then depriving both the companies and the people in that province solely to flex their political muscle is dangerous and counter productive. I love Montreal, it's always going to be my second home, but when the political climate is bad there's few other places I'd rather live less. Frankly, the next time that province wants to separate while claiming it can live off its own self-sustaining economy thanks to Quebecor then I'd be fine letting them.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Quebec isn't a nation, it's a province. It exists with 9 other provinces and 3 territories to make up a country.

This belief that francophones are struggling to survive is a myth that gets perpetrated by charlatans and believed by the ignorant.

Nobody on the English side is trying to impose anything whether in or outside of Quebec. However the Quebec government, regardless of party, is trying to impose what language people speak at home, in public, or in business/institutions.

The government simply bullies the smaller organizations and they close up shop while other larger businesses tell them to F off and shockingly they do.

Look at the recent story about the music instruments industry. You think these companies that make those products, or the shop owners, are going to make the information sheets in French because the government wants them to? This market represents about .3% of the global share. They don't give a rats ass. The industry will simply crumble and people will resort to buying things from other provinces which will mean less money in Quebec.

Money is and has been leaving Quebec and it looks like it's going to get worse rather than better.

Is it fascism? No. However there are certainly elements of it there. Regardless as to whether it is or isn't, it's still wrong and counter productive.

People simply want to converse in whatever language they want. Please show me another place in the world where the people are forced to speak the native language, not by natural reasons, but by governmental decrees.

Anyways, back to the original topic of conversation.

Hockey Quebec has been a disaster for decades and I saw it first hand by coaching for about 6 or 7 years. They want to do things different (shocking) than any other province despite other provinces having success when Quebec hasn't.

Soccer registrations skyrocketing have no impact on hockey because it's different seasons. The expectation that the top athletes play their sport all year round has had a bigger impact as the top athletes for the longest time were also multi-sport athletes.

They also messed up the associations with sports etudes and now it's just a giant disaster where kids don't develop because the competition isn't good enough at either level to truly push the kids since all leagues are watered down.

Check your facts again. Québec is a nation as recognized by the Canadian Parliament. I stopped reading after that. No point in arguing with someone who makes his own facts.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Last I checked Quebec was one of many provinces in a country in which the official languages are French and English. Imposing a "dominant English language" because small companies can't afford to print separate products to appease a small percentage of their market and then depriving both the companies and the people in that province solely to flex their political muscle is dangerous and counter productive. I love Montreal, it's always going to be my second home, but when the political climate is bad there's few other places I'd rather live less. Frankly, the next time that province wants to separate while claiming it can live off its own self-sustaining economy thanks to Quebecor then I'd be fine letting them.

Geez. If a business is not interested in communicating in the language their customers understand, they really have no business here. Luckily, wise and successful companies don't think this way.

Imagine a business trying to do business in Sweden and being insulted that they have to translate their stuff from English to Swedish. They wouldn't last long.

In the end, money talks. If you’re too stubborn to communicate with your customers, better close the shop.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
A little victory, for sure, compared to past glories. But a step. Now we need that classic butterfly star in net. A few years ago, Gabriel D’Aigle looked like the phenom that was promised…but he appears to be falling flat, hard, as his draft year arrives. That 6-8 kid Denault is probably worth monitoring though.
Wow I totally forgot about this guy, I remember the hype was real

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Geez. If a business is not interested in communicating in the language their customers understand, they really have no business here. Luckily, wise and successful companies don't think this way.

Imagine a business trying to do business in Sweden and being insulted that they have to translate their stuff from English to Swedish. They wouldn't last long.

In the end, money talks. If you’re too stubborn to communicate with your customers, better close the shop.
So 51.7 % of the province that speaks English regularly in Quebec shouldn't be considered?

If a business, like the board game store is at the mercy of both the language police and the other companies who don't print their products in both languages and thus go under because of the severe limitations of what's now available to them and thus the customer, you're applauding it?

In the end, all I'm hearing is "f*** that store and the owner".

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Check your facts again. Québec is a nation as recognized by the Canadian Parliament. I stopped reading after that. No point in arguing with someone who makes his own facts.
Canadian Parliament says a lot of things that are done just for political reasons and appeasement. Doesn't always make it true.

It's ok though. I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming separation stupidity so people could be put in their place with with their insane beliefs.

People actually believe that if separation happens, they'd still get all the money and services that they do from the ROC.

It's like a kid moving out telling their parents to F off and still demanding to get money from them (Thank you Robin Williams RIP)
So 51.7 % of the province that speaks English regularly in Quebec shouldn't be considered?

If a business, like the board game store is at the mercy of both the language police and the other companies who don't print their products in both languages and thus go under because of the severe limitations of what's now available to them and thus the customer, you're applauding it?

We have to remember there's two distinct nations in Quebec. There's Montreal, and then there's the rest of Quebec.

What's also lost in the dumb argument is that if they weren't able to communicate with them already, they'd have lost their business and shut down. Since that's happening, it means they're able to communicate with their customers and their customers are happy with what they're getting.

The top politicians and business people to a T right now and throughout history have only ever gotten there because they decided to go to Anglophone universities in Montreal or the U.S. It's hypocrisy at its worst.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

What kind of twisted number is that? Many people like me are bilingual and are included in that number. In the end, 80% of the people have French as their main language. So yes, any business that has no interest in 80% of their market will likely go bankrupt and I won't shed a tear about it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Canadian Parliament says a lot of things that are done just for political reasons and appeasement. Doesn't always make it true.

It's ok though. I'm actually looking forward to the upcoming separation stupidity so people could be put in their place with with their insane beliefs.

People actually believe that if separation happens, they'd still get all the money and services that they do from the ROC.

It's like a kid moving out telling their parents to F off and still demanding to get money from them (Thank you Robin Williams RIP)

We have to remember there's two distinct nations in Quebec. There's Montreal, and then there's the rest of Quebec.

What's also lost in the dumb argument is that if they weren't able to communicate with them already, they'd have lost their business and shut down. Since that's happening, it means they're able to communicate with their customers and their customers are happy with what they're getting.

The top politicians and business people to a T right now and throughout history have only ever gotten there because they decided to go to Anglophone universities in Montreal or the U.S. It's hypocrisy at its worst.
I remember when there was the threat of tuition hikes after I believe a 10 year freeze and how angry the students were and how Marois tried to piggyback off the movement even though the hike was predominantly to catch up the universities to speed so the teachers would stay and they would have proper tools. No wonder so many are bolting.

What kind of twisted number is that? Many people like me are bilingual and are included in that number. In the end, 80% of the people have French as their main language. So yes, any business that has no interest in 80% of their market will likely go bankrupt and I won't shed a tear about it.
No, the market the language police wanted to defend would be the 49.3% that can't or choose not to learn or speak English. Bilingual people obviously wouldn't have a problem with something like an English board game now, would they?

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I remember when there was the threat of tuition hikes after I believe a 10 year freeze and how angry the students were and how Marois tried to piggyback off the movement even though the hike was predominantly to catch up the universities to speed so the teachers would stay and they would have proper tools. No wonder so many are bolting.

No, the market the language police wanted to defend would be the 49.3% that can't or choose not to learn or speak English. Bilingual people obviously wouldn't have a problem with something like an English board game now, would they?
Honestly it's a wonder how these businesses have been able to exist, let alone make any money, without the ability to do business with such a high percentage of the population not being able to communicate with them....

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

Yes they would? I'm bilingual and I would have a problem with a business that doesn't care about the national language. Anyway, it just doesn't make sense at all business wise. Businessmen don't get stuck thinking "I speak ENGLISH and I don't care about the customers who don't understand ME!!!" This would be plain stupid.

Businesses adapt to their market. It's not the other way around.

You want to do business in Sweden? Learn Swedish! Do advertising in Swedish, hire staff that speaks Swedish. Even if 50% of the population can understand English to varying degrees. Would you go to Africa and target "white customers only"? No right! That would be dumb. And mostly, it would be quite insensitive to the locals.

I don't even know what there is to argue here. It's just common sense capitalism.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yes they would? I'm bilingual and I would have a problem with a business that doesn't care about the national language. Anyway, it just doesn't make sense at all business wise. Businessmen don't get stuck thinking "I speak ENGLISH and I don't care about the customers who don't understand ME!!!" This would be plain stupid.

Businesses adapt to their market. It's not the other way around.

You want to do business in Sweden? Learn Swedish! Do advertising in Swedish, hire staff that speaks Swedish. Even if 50% of the population can understand English to varying degrees. Would you go to Africa and target "white customers only"? No right! That would be dumb. And mostly, it would be quite insensitive to the locals.

I don't even know what there is to argue here. It's just common sense capitalism.
If a company’s entire audience is in Quebec then that’s different. You’re expecting a global company (or at least a North American one) to fork over money they may not have in order to appease a very small market because you’ve taken it personally that they didn’t prioritize your feelings. That’s for the companies that produce the games.

In terms of stores who sell products, they can only sell what is available to them. Like I said you’d rather they shut down or be forced to severely limit what they can sell which will ultimately bankrupt them because your fee-fees got hurt. I can now see why separatism rears its ugly head every 7-8 years.

Anyways, this isn’t the place for this discussion. I’m moving on. Feel free to have the last word if you want it.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
If a company’s entire audience is in Quebec then that’s different. You’re expecting a global company (or at least a North American one) to fork over money they may not have in order to appease a very small market because you’ve taken it personally that they didn’t prioritize your feelings. That’s for the companies that produce the games.

In terms of stores who sell products, they can only sell what is available to them. Like I said you’d rather they shut down or be forced to severely limit what they can sell which will ultimately bankrupt them because your fee-fees got hurt. I can now see why separatism rears its ugly head every 7-8 years.

Anyways, this isn’t the place for this discussion. I’m moving on. Feel free to have the last word if you want it.

99% of the "global companies" who come here translate their product. Sometimes even their brand. Do you know that Staples is "Bureau en gros" here? And their business is booming! You see a problem that just doesn't exist.

You respect your customers, they will buy your product. As simple as that.

Yeah, the other 1% might go bankrupt, but they'll have only themselves to blame.

Doomhammer

Jul 26, 2019
99% of the "global companies" who come here translate their product. Sometimes even their brand. Do you know that Staples is "Bureau en gros" here? And their business is booming! You see a problem that just doesn't exist.

You respect your customers, they will buy your product. As simple as that.

Yeah, the other 1% might go bankrupt, but they'll have only themselves to blame.
99% of high-paying global tech jobs have stopped hiring in Quebec because of the language laws. Yes, companies exists that cater to Quebec clients, but most high-end jobs don't hire in Quebec because of the laws.

My last company, a global e-commerce company, had a language complaint, and we agreed that because we had 2 Quebec employees, it would be cheaper to give a 1-year severance package to the two employees rather than have a physical presence. I was one of those two, and had to make the executive decision that it was better for company of 1200+ to just avoid quebec... and I probably should have just moved to keep that job.

Theres multiple companies now that simply don't sell products in Quebec to take it one step further, but sell everywhere else in North Amerca, Mexico included.

I consult with fortune 500 companies around payments and fraud, and it's well known to avoid this province with any hiring, an exception that is unique to NA. Unfortunately, it means that for educated tech students, their only option is to relocate or work in this province for under 100k a year (which may sound like a lot, but it would be 2x anywhere else in Canada or 4x anywhere in the US).

And Bureau en gros is booming because everyone else left, Staples anywhere else is known as terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad