Top-100 Hockey Players of All-Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I like how you include the 2006-2007 season in 7-10. That's neat.

I also like how you think Crosby's 1.35 PPG / .35 GPG blows Ovechkin's 1.43 PPG / .71 GPG "out of the water."

I don't know what you think you are proving.

Well the OP you were quoting used the years 07 to 10.

I think he meant 08 to 10 which is what you took it as.

You are the first to downplay Crosby's PPG adavatage careerwise and over empahize full seasons then have no problem doing the exact opposite for the playoffs for Ovi in this small sample.

At least show some consistency.

As it is you are choosing different methods depending on how it affects Ovi which really weakens your arguement.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
You don’t have to hit everything that moves to be an effective player. Ask Lidström about it. And while Ovechkin is stronger and better physically than Kuznetsov, it’s still the big item that fell off from his peak game post his Brian Campbell suspension in 09–10, transforming him into a tamer version of himself.

Ovechkin ramped up his hits per game in the playoffs last season:

139 in 82 regular season games - 1.7 HPG
81 in 24 playoffs games - 3.8 HPG

And they were good ones too. He's not just hitting guys after the puck leaves (which he did in the past), he's separating the puck, clogging up center ice defensively, and knocking guys like Victor Hedman out of the play.

Uh, yeah, right. One of the best skaters/puck carrying/zone entering centers in the league can’t create space/scoring chances on his own. :laugh:

Kuznetsov's stats past two seasons:

82 games / 59 points (did not play with Ovechkin)
79 games / 83 points (played with Ovechkin)

Backstrom's stats past two seasons:

82 games / 86 points (played with Ovechkin)
81 games / 71 points (did not play with Ovechkin)

I didn’t watch every second of every game...

I did.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well the OP you were quoting used the years 07 to 10.

I think he meant 08 to 10 which is what you took it as.

You are the first to downplay Crosby's PPG adavatage careerwise and over empahize full seasons then have no problem doing the exact opposite for the playoffs for Ovi in this small sample.

At least show some consistency.

As it is you are choosing different methods depending on how it affects Ovi which really weakens your arguement.

Raw stats are more apples to apples in the regular season because every player who doesn't get traded has the opportunity to play 82 games.

In the postseason that isn't the case. A player's team can advance through reasons outside a player's control - such as when Sid advanced in 2016 while getting a paltry two secondary assists (1 ES point) in the Capitals series as a minus player. Ovechkin had 7 points in that same series as a plus player. I lean more towards per game stats in the postseason for that reason.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This seems like a really heated debate and I'm too full of Christmas cheer to want to get in the middle of this, but c'mon mate. The disparity in goals is significant here.

Adjust your focus a little bit with different metrics - like goals created rather than points - and Ovechkin is clearly the better player. Not close at all.

goals created is really just another goal centric metric and everyone agrees that Ovi is the best goal scorer of his generation and has a very good case for all time.

If one wanted to play that (not looking at the whole picture) game one could bring up Ovi's shooting % being 12.6% compared to 14.5% for Crosby (Jage is 13.6) career wise.

But that would be just more noise and distraction which there is already plenty of in comparing those 2 guys and from some Ovechkin (compared to Jagr for instance) supporters in general terms.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Raw stats are more apples to apples in the regular season because every player who doesn't get traded has the opportunity to play 82 games.

In the postseason that isn't the case. A player's team can advance through reasons outside a player's control - such as when Sid advanced in 2016 while getting a paltry two secondary assists (1 ES point) in the Capitals series as a minus player. Ovechkin had 7 points in that same series as a plus player. I lean more towards per game stats in the postseason for that reason.

1.16 to .97 for Crosby in PPG in post season, even using your slightly faulty logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
goals created is really just another goal centric metric and everyone agrees that Ovi is the best goal scorer of his generation and has a very good case for all time.

If one wanted to play that (not looking at the whole picture) game one could bring up Ovi's shooting % being 12.6% compared to 14.5% for Crosby (Jage is 13.6) career wise.

But that would be just more noise and distraction which there is already plenty of in comparing those 2 guys and from some Ovechkin (compared to Jagr for instance) supporters in general terms.

I had to read this three times and I still don't understand what shooting percentages have to do with this and why anyone would care about them.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
We don't know that. And Lach won the Hart, pretty easily, for whatever that's worth...must have been a damn impressive season from Lach considering the meaningful nature of 50 in 50...

In a normal season, I'd probably say Lach.

But 2-way play in 44-45 when the Canadiens roster is way better than any other roster and the league level is nearly at its lowest?

Its... really a good question.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
If there's no video, we don't know for sure. And then considering what I've seen of Maurice Richard and Elmer Lach in other seasons, it's even further from a certainty.

Intangibles and defense aside - which are unknowable - Richard's production is better. The massive gap in goals far outweighs the small gap in points (which on Lach's side are mostly assists).

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Intangibles and defense aside - which are unknowable - Richard's production is better. The massive gap in goals far outweighs the small gap in points (which on Lach's side are mostly assists).

Who was better in 2003 - Forsberg or Hejduk?

Hejduk was by far the better goal-scorer (50 vs 29 - leading the lead vs falling outside of the top 30). Forsberg had a small gap in points (due to assists). Forsberg was much better defensively, but we're dismissing that as unknowable, right?

Reactions: seventieslord

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
[MOD: Quoted post deleted.]

I'm not a Jagr fan. I'm not an Ovi fan. I have nothing in particular against Jagr. I have nothing in particular against Ovi. I'm indifferent towards the teams they played on. I also had them ranked very close to each other on my preliminary list in this whole ongoing project (Jagr 19th, Ovi 21st), so it's not like I pretend there is some big gap between them.

Notice that Ovi ended up 22nd on the list, I had him 21st. Notice that Jagr ended up 16th, I had him 19th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com

They are knowable...we're choosing to ignore them here because it's inconvenient and/or difficult to ascertain.

Lach was obviously more productive, by the definitions set forth by the sport.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Who was better in 2003 - Forsberg or Hejduk?

Hejduk was by far the better goal-scorer (50 vs 29 - leading the lead vs falling outside of the top 30). Forsberg had a small gap in points (due to assists). Forsberg was much better defensively, but we're dismissing that as unknowable, right?

No, I can watch those games. It's not unknowable.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Well, it's because I am. Or at least I try to be. I'm not a Jagr fan. I'm not an Ovi fan. I have nothing in particular against Jagr. I have nothing in particular against Ovi. I'm indifferent towards the teams they played on. I also had them ranked very close to each other on my preliminary list in this whole ongoing project (Jagr 19th, Ovi 21st), so it's not like I pretend there is some big gap between them.

Notice that Ovi ended up 22nd on the list, I had him 21st. Notice that Jagr ended up 16th, I had him 19th.

No objection to the ranking at all. But I'm getting a bit tired of the post-peak Hull references. Post-peak Ovechkin is not post-peak Hull.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
No objection to the ranking at all. But I'm getting a bit tired of the post-peak Hull references. Post-peak Ovechkin is not post-peak Hull.

I do agree with this though. Ovechkin is still a goal-scoring machine...post-peak Hull is too far down the ladder for Ovechkin...unless we're talking playing style, in which case, eh, maybe...but certainly not for impact...

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
So we can't just to default to the goal-scorer being automatically better...?

If you wish to rank Lach higher based on your understanding of his intangibles, that is fine by me (although that's a big gap to make up). But if you think his raw numbers are better than Richard's then I disagree.

Regardless, the Richard/Lach analogy is a nice way to look at Ovechkin/Crosby. People can decide where they stand on this. I think it's rather obvious that assists, on average, do not provide comparable value to goals.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
That the sport measures assists as contributions directly towards a goal. Production, as it were.

Well unlike you Mike I don't much care what "the sport" measures. We should be beyond sporting dogma at this point. Baseball has done it, why can't we.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad