Value of: Tony DeAngelo's next contract?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
His current contract was a 2 year contract @5 M a year. He signed the contract thru arbitration. No way he takes less then 5M. If he goes to arb he will get more then 5 M. Players don't get paycuts in arb

Good luck with that

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I am sure he is appreciative that the Canes took a flier on him when his stock was low but when all is said and done, he will have rewarded their faith by putting up 70 points all for just a million dollars.

He gave them a great return for their small investment, I doubt he takes anything less than what his maximum worth is.

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
soon as a player gets a stigma, its hard to cash in on just pure performance. his best bet is to lock it down long term to a cap hit that doesnt handcuff his team to being stuck in cap hell. He can play, right now, who knows what the future holds.. he found a place that works, but if he tries to nickle and dime them he could limit his other options.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
His Twitter Burner account is great, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a fake account on here as well.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
1 good year still isn't enough to rehab is value across the league to the point he's getting a contract that is consistent with purely his play on the ice. So I think Canes likely keep him on a shorter bridge deal for quite a bit cheaper than market value would be for his play on the ice, but nowhere near as much of a steal as this year. I can see 2-3 years at $4-4.5M. As long as he keeps his head on straight that's still tremendous value for what he offers, but it's not quite as great as the $1M he's getting this season.
I kind of view it similar to Duke on Florida without the tax benefits and differ not concerns. Duke struggled to find a home (Florida was his sixth team!) and signed a super reasonable 3M by 3 year contract with Florida after a good year, which will let him to cash in at 29 if he keeps it ups

This looks like a great fit for TDA and he’s struggled with fit. More so than Duke, I think there are a lot of teams that have him on the no sign list due to PR backlash. I think Tony signs for 3 years at 4M with some sort of NTC and tries rehabilitate his image . Given his age maybe he goes for 2 years

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He's been absolutely phenomenal on the PP. With Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov and Trocheck, his passing and QBing from the point has been such a key piece of the success.

While Dougie on the PP was more of a shooting threat, Tony's passing ability and really quick decisions with the puck work so well with like minded players like Aho, TT and Svech. Really a treat to watch.

He's been good ES as well. Not bad defensively and good offensively. Having Slavin as his partner probably helps hide some defensive warts. Would much prefer the Canes could get another RHD to pair with Slavin at ES and let Tony excel against weaker competition and on the PP.

He got injured last game though, so fingers crossed it's not serious.
This is exactly what Rangers fans have been saying. Glad Canes fans are backing it up. People act like he has negative value because of his defense when it really isn’t that bad. Just over exaggerated by people who dislike him for reasons

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
soon as a player gets a stigma, its hard to cash in on just pure performance. his best bet is to lock it down long term to a cap hit that doesnt handcuff his team to being stuck in cap hell. He can play, right now, who knows what the future holds.. he found a place that works, but if he tries to nickle and dime them he could limit his other options.
Kane had a stigma, and the Sharks still gave him a 7 x 7 deal because he probably wasn't an issue for them at the time. If he's not been any sort of issue for the Canes this season, he'll get paid if they see him as a core piece moving forward.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Upcoming RFA currently making $1,000,000.

40 points in 43 games, which is currently a 70 point pace.

Can the Canes afford the raise he is due?
If any team can its them they have the best cap situation in the NHL. Maybe he signs at a discount with them, they gave him a chance to get his career back.

Why on earth would he even consider 3x3?

Arbitrator would probably give him a 1 year @ 5 mil then he can walk as a UFA.
Because some people value where they play, winning and realize he got a second chance at his career. Its not a video game.

3 X 4.5 might be something he signs 3X 3 is low but there is more to it than you are suggesting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on term. How many more RFA years does he have? One more?

I look at the Anderson contract if you want to lock him up long term (7 years at $5.5M)... got to pay for UFA years where in the back half, it's when the cap rises. But if you go short term, might be able to get him for 3 years at $4M.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
He’s been put into the best position to succeed with Carolina, has a coach he respects and not in the limelight.

If I made a bet, It will be around 5m per and that being a discount to stay here.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
He’s been put into the best position to succeed with Carolina, has a coach he respects and not in the limelight.

If I made a bet, It will be around 5m per and that being a discount to stay here.
He's giving a discount this year. Sort of the opposite of Koko Miami's contract. Did you factor that in? $5m per seems like a sweet deal and possibly too sweet to happen.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I think any team signing him this off-season should try to keep the term minimal. He’s going to be more of an asset when he knows got a short leash and not much security.

that said someone is going to give him term and dollars this off-season and will regret it.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This is exactly what Rangers fans have been saying. Glad Canes fans are backing it up. People act like he has negative value because of his defense when it really isn’t that bad. Just over exaggerated by people who dislike him for reasons

It certainly isn’t great though. His relative defensive metrics this year are bad despite playing with Slavin.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Probably short-mid term at 5ish million. He's had a good year, but a lot of teams still wouldn't touch him, which limits his payday.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It certainly isn’t great though. His relative defensive metrics this year are bad despite playing with Slavin.
Never said he was good at defense but more than makes up with it. His defense isn’t terrible and he isn’t the liability people make him out to be

Reactions: Stubu

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I am glad he was able to overcome being completely slandered and lied about. Fortunately, the people responsible for it were also fired. I am not looking forward to him scoring some big-time playoff series winning esq goal against the Rangers.

I have no interest in hijacking this thread but someone needs to push back on whatever narrative you’re trying to sell.

For those that don’t know his history, I suggest you spend a few minutes to educate yourselves.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Never said he was good at defense but more than makes up with it. His defense isn’t terrible and he isn’t the liability people make him out to be

His offense does make up for it but he is a liability. His team is consistently worse defensively when he’s on the ice than when he’s off. And that’s despite him playing with one of the best defensemen in the game.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It think he should give the Canes a good discount for rejuvenating his career, maybe a 4 million dollar per year or something like that. cause he does have 40 points in 43 games. However Carolina was the only team interested in him so he should show some loyalty to the Canes to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad