Value of: Tony DeAngelo's next contract?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah they can afford him. I'd probably just take him to arbitration if he's not willing to accept a 1-2 m raise ($3 m x 3 maybe?), the short term from an arbitration ruling would be a feature not a bug.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
don't forget he's making much more, double-payed thanks to NYR buyout
his prior contract had annual Cap Hit of $4.8M

expect he targets similar

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
He’s doing that damn good? Wow good for him, I haven’t kept track. Too bad he couldn’t fit in NY

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He’s doing that damn good? Wow good for him, I haven’t kept track. Too bad he couldn’t fit in NY

He's been absolutely phenomenal on the PP. With Aho, Teravainen, Svechnikov and Trocheck, his passing and QBing from the point has been such a key piece of the success.

While Dougie on the PP was more of a shooting threat, Tony's passing ability and really quick decisions with the puck work so well with like minded players like Aho, TT and Svech. Really a treat to watch.

He's been good ES as well. Not bad defensively and good offensively. Having Slavin as his partner probably helps hide some defensive warts. Would much prefer the Canes could get another RHD to pair with Slavin at ES and let Tony excel against weaker competition and on the PP.

He got injured last game though, so fingers crossed it's not serious.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Looking at things pre-playoffs, if it's significantly different than Barrie's $4.5 mil x 3 deal signed just last Summer on the high side, it would be a surprise.

He's in line for the opportunity to play Top 4 minutes on a team that has the potential to go deep, however. His stock could rise.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Qualify him, go to arbitration.

Or

Give him Nino's money and lock him up long term.

Much easier to find 40 point forwards than it is to find 50-60 point defenders.

Glad he's doing well for you.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Looking at things pre-playoffs, if it's significantly different than Barrie's $4.5 mil x 3 deal signed just last Summer on the high side, it would be a surprise.

He's in line for the opportunity to play Top 4 minutes on a team that has the potential to go deep, however. His stock could rise.

This would be a good bet if he were older, but given his age and potential I say he will get the 5-6 range on a 3 year.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Qualify him, go to arbitration.

Or

Give him Nino's money and lock him up long term.

Much easier to find 40 point forwards than it is to find 50-60 point defenders.

Glad he's doing well for you.

While I agree with your overall point, you statement on Nino being a 40 point forward is a bit misleading. In the 4 seasons/partial seasons he's been in Carolina, he's averaging 24G, 48P per 82 games. He's currently not the same player he was when he was in NYI, nor the last 2 season's in MINN either.

That said, I suspect the Canes won't be able to / won't want to give Trocheck the type of deal he will likely command. Nino will probably be able to get more elsewhere also so there should be money available to extend Tony.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Its funny that you don't hear anything about DeAngelo being a defensive black hole now that he's no longer Rangers property.

That's probably because a lot of Ranger's fans stopped posting about him being a liability defensively. ;)

Seriously though, like I said above, he's either played sheltered 3rd pairing minutes (early on) or with Jaccob Slavin, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league which can hide some some faults.

He's not been bad defensively, but he's not great defensively either. As a team with cup aspirations, I wouldn't want him on our top pairing come playoff time. Rather give him sheltered ES minutes and let him excel there as well as on the PP.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
1 good year still isn't enough to rehab is value across the league to the point he's getting a contract that is consistent with purely his play on the ice. So I think Canes likely keep him on a shorter bridge deal for quite a bit cheaper than market value would be for his play on the ice, but nowhere near as much of a steal as this year. I can see 2-3 years at $4-4.5M. As long as he keeps his head on straight that's still tremendous value for what he offers, but it's not quite as great as the $1M he's getting this season.

Reactions: violaswallet

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Gonna make a lot.
not bad for a guy HF swore up and down would never play in the NHL again.
big time oops

Meh, some people said that, but a lot of people knew he'd get another chance. Nobody took a chance on him last year because they didn't want to take on his salary so soon after the Ranger's suspended him.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
While I agree with your overall point, you statement on Nino being a 40 point forward is a bit misleading. In the 4 seasons/partial seasons he's been in Carolina, he's averaging 24G, 48P per 82 games. He's currently not the same player he was when he was in NYI, nor the last 2 season's in MINN either.

That said, I suspect the Canes won't be able to / won't want to give Trocheck the type of deal he will likely command. Nino will probably be able to get more elsewhere also so there should be money available to extend Tony.

took a quick look at his numbers, saw they had fallen off a bit which is not surprising as there are some really good options for PP1 in Carolina.

I like Nino, but you get it.

point is there's an opportunity to re-up TDA.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
took a quick look at his numbers, saw they had fallen off a bit which is not surprising as there are some really good options for PP1 in Carolina.

I like Nino, but you get it.

point is there's an opportunity to re-up TDA.

Yep. And with the emergence of Jarvis, Nino's mainly now with Staal and Fast on the line that faces the opposing team's toughest competition with the most D-zone starts. Even so, he's got the 2nd most 5v5 goals on Carolina (behind Svechnikov), and 3rd most 5v5 points on Carolina (behind Aho and Svech), so his offense is still there, just not getting 1st PP unit time. This is with his most common 5v5 line-mates as Staal and Fast, and only getting 2nd PP unit time.

Like we both said though, I think re-upping Tony won't likely be an issue as I would be surprised to see Trocheck and Nino both back next year (and won't be surprised if both are not back).

Reactions: pld459666

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
ADA being ADA, he will push for the max money and take the contract that pays him the most.
I am glad he was able to overcome being completely slandered and lied about. Fortunately, the people responsible for it were also fired. I am not looking forward to him scoring some big-time playoff series winning esq goal against the Rangers.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My opinion, his next contract will come in the $4.5M to 6.5M range, with Barrie and Krug being his closest comps. The Canes will want to keep him close to Barrie and his camp likely close to Krug. I think they’ll find a happy medium ~$4.75-5.5M x 3yrs or so.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Many NYR fans were correct when they said he was 1 of the premier PMD in the league, as well as a beast running the pt on the PP.
It’s too bad everything that transpired killed his value, but his skills are certainly still there.
He’s on his best behavior, I think the most any team will give him is 2 years around 7 mill total to make sure he stays on his toes.
Tony will likely take 3.5 per with the rangers still paying him....

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
1 good year still isn't enough to rehab is value across the league to the point he's getting a contract that is consistent with purely his play on the ice. So I think Canes likely keep him on a shorter bridge deal for quite a bit cheaper than market value would be for his play on the ice, but nowhere near as much of a steal as this year. I can see 2-3 years at $4-4.5M. As long as he keeps his head on straight that's still tremendous value for what he offers, but it's not quite as great as the $1M he's getting this season.

His current contract was a 2 year contract @5 M a year. He signed the contract thru arbitration. No way he takes less then 5M. If he goes to arb he will get more then 5 M. Players don't get paycuts in arb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad