Value of: Tony Deangelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The reason has to do with his political takes. Not with on ice play or locker room. Hes universally BY PLAYERS known as a great locker room guy
The problem is, he brought his political takes to the locker room as well. Which obviously made him popular with some guys, and not so popular with others.

The bolded isn't exactly true either. Not everyone liked this guy, and not just talking about Georgiev here.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Was he also bought out twice because of his views?

OR

maybe he's just not a good player?
If I did my math right, in the 4 seasons he played "full time", he produced at about .66 PPG. If you drop that number to about .55 it makes him a 45 point defenseman who is a little leaky in the d -zone. Guys like Shattenkirk and Gustafsson get paid every year to be that. In some years less than that.

I am pretty sure he is not the only trump supporter in the nhl, maybe there is a bigger picture? i don't know much about him.
Probably a fair amount of the owners are.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
The ones that got him suspended in juniors and hindered his draft stock, which were never reported, but if you'd like to rewatch the video of Tony's father talking about it you can ruminate on the word in question and where apples fall in relation to the trees they grow on.
still unclear what he said - and he was kid. enough with this.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There's a point where players run out of chances. Whether Tony has reached that point I don't know but I looked at his departure from the Rangers as addition by subtraction. He can be a very skilled and creative player but he's a lousy defender.

Anyway to his kerfuffle with Georgiev. It's OT vs. the Penguins DeAngelo under no pressure gives the puck away and seconds later Crosby scores a weak one on Georgiev. Both Tony and Alex made completely shit plays to give a point away. It happens....though sometimes it happens too often. Georgiev going off the ice slumped and dejected and DeAngelo jumps all over his ass about letting in the goal and that's why the fight started. Now Tony's already pissed at the coach because it's early in the season and he's already been scratched a couple times for shit defensive play. Alex was a Jekyll/Hyde from game to game. You might get a great game or you might get a shit game. Personally it's a better Rangers world since we moved on from both of these f'ing knuckleheads. At least we got something back for Alex.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If he has become such a wonderful teammate, why hasn't he been signed yet?
Are the players the ones extending contracts now? Maybe GM’s around the league don’t think his defensive issues are overcome by his offensive ability. Ever consider it might actually relate to hockey?

Reactions: dukeofjive

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Also, he sucks on the powerplay.

DeAngelo, as a player, is a guy I would take a flier on. I've always defended him as a player. Yes, he sucks at defense, but he's Paul Coffey at even strength offense. He still drives 5v5 offense at ridiculous levels and that has tremendous value.

The myth of this dude as an all-world PPQB has always been weird. His underlying numbers on the powerplay have always topped out at "fine."

That's weird. This whole thing is weird. None of his struggles are due to his play. If you think they are, I have a two-word response: Neal Pionk.

They're the same player but one guy got a long contract to stay on his team.
Idk what the analytics say and maybe this is just the flashiness of him influencing the eye test but that PP in 2019/20 was a thing of beauty and him dancing along the blue line and the pace he played with on the PP was something I miss with our now rather stationary PP. I think that’s a big part of why our PP dried up in the playoffs, they are quite stationary and Fox (especially when playing injured) is nowhere near as mobile walking the blue line as DeAngelo was

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Also, he sucks on the powerplay.

DeAngelo, as a player, is a guy I would take a flier on. I've always defended him as a player. Yes, he sucks at defense, but he's Paul Coffey at even strength offense. He still drives 5v5 offense at ridiculous levels and that has tremendous value.

The myth of this dude as an all-world PPQB has always been weird. His underlying numbers on the powerplay have always topped out at "fine."

That's weird. This whole thing is weird. None of his struggles are due to his play. If you think they are, I have a two-word response: Neal Pionk.

They're the same player but one guy got a long contract to stay on his team.

“That's weird. This whole thing is weird. None of his struggles are due to his play. If you think they are, I have a two-word response: Neal Pionk.”

The Jets gave Pionk that contract after 2020-21 when it seemed like he was their best defenseman. (Morrissey had the worst season of his career that year.) Dear reader, he was not their best defenseman.

IMG_8380.png

IMG_8383.png

Vs
Deangelo got a contract for 2019-20 and got bought out for acting out like an idiot.

Carolina got him for cheap and then found a sucker dumb enough to want to give him a bigger deal off of 2021-22.

He didn’t recapture the for cheap magic in Carolina. The end.
IMG_8381.png
IMG_8382.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If I did my math right, in the 4 seasons he played "full time", he produced at about .66 PPG. If you drop that number to about .55 it makes him a 45 point defenseman who is a little leaky in the d -zone. Guys like Shattenkirk and Gustafsson get paid every year to be that. In some years less than that.

Probably a fair amount of the owners are.

That's an euphemism if I ever saw one.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
For me, the reason why he remains unsigned is this:
He's not a good enough defenseman for a good team. His style of play doesn't suit the third pair. He needs a steady partner, and role in building offense in the first two pairs. But his defensive game is so bad that he just doesn't work there for a team with winning aspirations. And when we have teams in the league that are bad enough that he could actually fit skills wise, those teams would rather play their young players in those spots. And whether or not you feel about his off-ice conduct, that probably plays a factor as well for those teams not wanting it on a rebuilding team with youngsters.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Even with the Rangers Neal Pionk was put in a lot of situations that DeAngelo was kept out of. He was on the PK for instance or when we played the Caps he was most often the guy out there when Ovechkin was on the ice because it was Pionk, Shattenkirk (playing on one leg) and DeAngelo on the right side with McQuaid in his last year spelling them sometimes. Neal was in over his head a lot but because it would have been even worse with any of the others. There are some similarities but Pionk at least has always put some effort into defending which I've never really seen DeAngelo do.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I guess the Ghost isn't quite the turnstile he is back there. Not terribly far off though.
Ghost was useful even not playing with a partner the caliber of a Skjei or Orlov in his first stint in Carolina, mostly playing with Chatfield in his first season as a regular. Tony struggled majorly with Orlov and was only passable with Skjei. The only time he's looked top 4 caliber with Carolina is with Slavin which... Cmon Slavin could probably even cover for my middle aged ass.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Idk what the analytics say and maybe this is just the flashiness of him influencing the eye test but that PP in 2019/20 was a thing of beauty and him dancing along the blue line and the pace he played with on the PP was something I miss with our now rather stationary PP. I think that’s a big part of why our PP dried up in the playoffs, they are quite stationary and Fox (especially when playing injured) is nowhere near as mobile walking the blue line as DeAngelo was
He is great at keep-ins but he absolutely sucks at getting his shot through.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
He keeps getting acquired by teams that hope they can cure his issues.
Sadly, as many organizations have found out, that is not the logical choice.
If another team is ready to take a chance on him, best of luck to them. At this point, it might be better for him to look overseas for a couple of years.
Russia most likely then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad