Value of: Tony Deangelo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
You tell me? Insubordinate to the refs is one I think.

Yeah man, he got in trouble for being a real maverick independent thnker that's just too REAL for the [checks notes] junior hockey conduct rules.

Look, you're a Flyers fan because you're on our board. Dunno if you're local to the team, but based on the countless interviews with Tony, with his father, his public interactions, hundreds of games in the league, hell, 20 hours of a very mediocre podcast...you can kinda get the picture of a guy. He's a pretty familiar South Jersey type guy.

He might not be at his core a bad dude or anything, wants to do his best, loved his grandma, maybe he'll drop everything to do an old friend a favor. Whatever. His issue seems to be that he's a dude who just doesn't get it: What a word might really mean, when to bite his tongue with teammates or coaches or refs, how to count past 3 to ensure he isn't leaving an open 2-on-0 every now and then. Some dudes who just don't get it can make it pretty far on talent, which he has, but they're never gonna stick around for long at the highest levels of their profession.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
1. The "politics" that caused him problems early in his career were making racist comments.
The ones that got him suspended in juniors and hindered his draft stock, which were never reported, but if you'd like to rewatch the video of Tony's father talking about it you can ruminate on the word in question and where apples fall in relation to the trees they grow on.
I'm somewhat certain that the word his dad is talking about is the homophobic slur which was potentially what got him suspended for the two games that we have very little information about.

However, the word that actually got Deangelo suspended for the eight games was an antisemitic slur against Nikandrov. At least that was the rumour at the time and Larry Brooks and The Post supported it later by saying it was an ethnic slur, not racial slur, aimed at a Caucasian teammate for what it's worth.

If you consider an antisemitic slur to fall under the umbrella of racism, fair, but I think you might be under the assumption he said the N word which has never been close to confirmed.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Seems he violated the Harrasment and Abuse/Diversity Policy 3 times.

Beginning in 2013–14, DeAngelo's on-ice behavior began to overshadow his athletic performance. He was removed from the ice during the second period of the Sting's game against the Guelph Storm on January 31, 2014, and the OHL released a statement on February 14 that DeAngelo would be suspended for eight games following a violation of the league's Harassment and Abuse/Diversity Policy. The OHL statement also revealed that this was DeAngelo's second suspension that season for violating the Abuse/Diversity policy, but that this was the first time his comments were directed towards a teammate. The details of his first suspension were kept confidential.[11] Later in the season, DeAngelo received a two-game suspension for abuse of an official. He returned on March 14 for the final game of the season, against the Erie Otters, but was ejected in the third period for another abuse of an official violation.[12]
Ok. Where are racial comments he allegedly said? Either way been beaten to death.

Why do you pretend like you know what every Flyer thought about this guy? Comical.

It’s not a shock that the twice bought out Angelo is still unsigned on day four of free agency. Carolina said no thanks we’re good and went out and got Ghost for three years instead :laugh:
Do you have any link or proof he was bad in the locker room or not well liked. You said that is why he was released. You made the comment now back it up. Only problem is you can't.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
honest question

why do you feel the need to "white knight" for a guy who has proven multiple times he is a shithead?
Show the proof me made all the racial comments he is said to have made is all. You and others do not like the guy. That is ok.

Do you know what he does for the community and what he does with local players? Things he has been doing for many many years.

Yeah man, he got in trouble for being a real maverick independent thnker that's just too REAL for the [checks notes] junior hockey conduct rules.

Look, you're a Flyers fan because you're on our board. Dunno if you're local to the team, but based on the countless interviews with Tony, with his father, his public interactions, hundreds of games in the league, hell, 20 hours of a very mediocre podcast...you can kinda get the picture of a guy. He's a pretty familiar South Jersey type guy.

He might not be at his core a bad dude or anything, wants to do his best, loved his grandma, maybe he'll drop everything to do an old friend a favor. Whatever. His issue seems to be that he's a dude who just doesn't get it: What a word might really mean, when to bite his tongue with teammates or coaches or refs, how to count past 3 to ensure he isn't leaving an open 2-on-0 every now and then. Some dudes who just don't get it can make it pretty far on talent, which he has, but they're never gonna stick around for long at the highest levels of their profession.
That was a nice summary. You called him a racist and the proof just isn't there. That was what this was about to start. Move along now.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Show the proof me made all the racial comments he is said to have made is all. You and others do not like the guy. That is ok.

Do you know what he does for the community and what he does with local players? Things he has been doing for many many years.

That was a nice summary. You called him a racist and the proof just isn't there. That was what this was about to start. Move along now.
Tony lends alot of his time for free to his local community and helps train young guys in the offseason down in south jersey. The kids and parents love him and appreciate him

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Him doing stuff for the community doesn't make him immune to everything else he does or has done.

Again, its just super weird to defend a person like this. There are multiple reports of what he has said and done in the past. If you don't want to believe those, that is fine I guess?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Tony lends alot of his time for free to his local community and helps train young guys in the offseason down in south jersey. The kids and parents love him and appreciate him
Yes he does and yes they do. Works with the junior and college players as well. . People don't like him or he isn't their cup of tea. All good.

Him doing stuff for the community doesn't make him immune to everything else he does or has done.

Again, its just super weird to defend a person like this. There are multiple reports of what he has said and done in the past. If you don't want to believe those, that is fine I guess?
What has he said? You have no idea what was said and as reported by Larry Brooks it isn't what you think he said. Yes it is fine.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He sucks, might be the biggest defenseive liability among dmen who played somewhat regularly the past few years.

If he was a better person who didn't throw shit fits when he got scratched/benched, I could see a team taking him on. But I wouldn't want him near a team like the Sharks etc. with young players who need mentoring.

Wouldn't be shocked if he played his last NHL game

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He sucks, might be the biggest defenseive liability among dmen who played somewhat regularly the past few years.

If he was a better person who didn't throw shit fits when he got scratched/benched, I could see a team taking him on. But I wouldn't want him near a team like the Sharks etc. with young players who need mentoring.

Wouldn't be shocked if he played his last NHL game
Not even close.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Not even close.
It's pretty close:
image.png

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How much evidence do we need before people swallow that this guy is problematic?

People keep shilling that the problem was Georgiev, but Georgiev has steady work despite being a worse player.

He has his warts as a player but he has to be, warts and all, better than half the defensemen in the league. At the very least, he's better than just about everyone's #6.

He still has trouble finding work. There's a reason for that.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, he sucks on the powerplay.

DeAngelo, as a player, is a guy I would take a flier on. I've always defended him as a player. Yes, he sucks at defense, but he's Paul Coffey at even strength offense. He still drives 5v5 offense at ridiculous levels and that has tremendous value.

The myth of this dude as an all-world PPQB has always been weird. His underlying numbers on the powerplay have always topped out at "fine."

That's weird. This whole thing is weird. None of his struggles are due to his play. If you think they are, I have a two-word response: Neal Pionk.

They're the same player but one guy got a long contract to stay on his team.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
How much evidence do we need before people swallow that this guy is problematic?

People keep shilling that the problem was Georgiev, but Georgiev has steady work despite being a worse player.

He has his warts as a player but he has to be, warts and all, better than half the defensemen in the league. At the very least, he's better than just about everyone's #6.

He has proven while at the Canes over last 2 of 3 years that his teammates enjoy him (he was at a number of off season functions too). So, “people” factor is negligible today.

Now, defensively, that’s a different story. To be fair, he was “better” during the playoffs but clearly it was a big loss not having Pesce during the ranger series.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
This guy sucks. Absolutely horrific "defenseman". He couldn't hack it as a minnimum salary player in a great D system with the Hurricanes. Nothing to do with his tantrums/politics.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He has proven while at the Canes over last 2 of 3 years that his teammates enjoy him (he was at a number of off season functions too). So, “people” factor is negligible today.

Now, defensively, that’s a different story. To be fair, he was “better” during the playoffs but clearly it was a big loss not having Pesce during the ranger series.
Plenty of his teammates have enjoyed being around him. What do you think people mean by "problematic?" That he's Charles Manson?

No, he's mostly a normal dude that has issues which have made front offices repeatedly shy away from him.

Reactions: The Nuge

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
i dont want to sound like a troll in the canucks main board, but i would want to sign him if i am the canucks gm. He is cheap for what he can do on the ice.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

The reason has to do with his political takes. Not with on ice play or locker room. Hes universally BY PLAYERS known as a great locker room guy

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
The reason has to do with his political takes. Not with on ice play or locker room. Hes universally BY PLAYERS known as a great locker room guy

if that is the case, then why is he still a free agent? To be honest, i wouldn't want him to be a canuck if we didnt lose a lot of talent in lindholm and zadorov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad