Value of: Tony DeAngelo- anyone want to take a chance?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean he's not a bad locker room guy, he just kind of sucks at playing defense. Yes, he can help generate goals on the PP, but he's a boat anchor on the ice in the defensive zone. Orlov-TDA was a train wreck this year, with Orlov needing to play a much different role than he is suited to play while trying to cover for TDA. In the games since TDA was healthy scratched, Orlov-Chatfield has been statistically solid, often grading out as our best players on the ice. TDA might be able to help offensively, but it doesn't offset just how bad he is defensively.

His career might be better served if he seriously considered a pivot to playing wing. He'd do well as a scoring winger who can QB a PP, and I do think there would be many roles available for him around the league if he did that. You just cannot ice him 5v5 on defense. He's a major liability in that role.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Given that the Leafs need bodies I do wonder if Treliving looks at this.

Dubas wouldn't have, no chance but I'm not sure about Treliving

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
His next stop should be the KHL.

I mean he's not a bad locker room guy, he just kind of sucks at playing defense. Yes, he can help generate goals on the PP, but he's a boat anchor on the ice in the defensive zone. Orlov-TDA was a train wreck this year, with Orlov needing to play a much different role than he is suited to play while trying to cover for TDA. In the games since TDA was healthy scratched, Orlov-Chatfield has been statistically solid, often grading out as our best players on the ice. TDA might be able to help offensively, but it doesn't offset just how bad he is defensively.

His career might be better served if he seriously considered a pivot to playing wing. He'd do well as a scoring winger who can QB a PP, and I do think there would be many roles available for him around the league if he did that. You just cannot ice him 5v5 on defense. He's a major liability in that role.

All of the teammates he and coachs he has pissed off and or had a physical altercation with would beg to differ lol

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Calgary may have to be his next stop out of pure necessity… Not getting a prospect/young dman back for Zadorov, makes it even more important they get defensive prospects or Dmen, in any deals for Hanifin and Lindholm.

They only have 2 NHL dmen under contract for next year, and you can’t go into July 1, needing 4-5 of them.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Has he caused any trouble this year?

i still dont know what he has done to make him so unlikable

Yeah--google is your friend in this case. Wasnt just one thing and when his father weighed into the mess it did not help---to say the least..here is what did him in with the Rangers

Controversy has followed DeAngelo into the NHL, as the Rangers sent him away from the team and ultimately waived him following a series of behavioral issues, the final one being a physical altercation in 2021 with then-Rangers goalie Alexandar Georgiev.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Orlov is off the books after 24-25.

DeAngelo is off the books after this season.

They added Burns for a fraction of his $8M cap hit and gave up virtually nothing for him. Burns is off the books after 24-25.

They have Nikishin and Morrow likely coming in or already on ELCs for the 24-25 season.

They didn’t want to pay Hamilton $9M til he’s washed in his late 30s.

Burns had a better season last year than Hamilton ever did in CAR. I think they made the right call for their cap and competive window

On DeAngelo in particular, I hope they just hold onto him. He knows the Canes’ system and he has proven he can fit in well with Slavin. He’s good insurance in case Burns goes down. Also his cap hit isn’t prohibiting them from making any other moves. They have over $2M in space with him as the 7D.
Nikishin is under KHL contract for 3 more years so he's likely not coming over next year.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Has he caused any trouble this year?

Yeah--google is your friend in this case. Wasnt just one thing and when his father weighed into the mess it did not help---to say the least..here is what did him in with the Rangers

Yes, i google that case, all it saids is behaviour issues. What behaviour issues though?

Reactions: onionsack

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yes, i google that case, all it saids is behaviour issues. What behaviour issues though?
look a little harder and take note of my quote of the problems he had with the NYR. He had trouble in JR and there are other things. When you come across the famous interview with his father, you will see where he gets it from.

But like I said first of all--has he done anything recently?

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Nikishin is under KHL contract for 3 more years so he's likely not coming over next year.
Orlov’s contract runs through 24-25, right when Nikishin will be coming over. That essentially one of the main reasons for them signing Orlov, perfect runway for Nikishi coming in on an ELC. Also, doesn’t hurt that Orlov could replace one of Skjei or Pesce in the top 4 next year.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

He has twice been suspended for referee abuse.

He has a history of racist behavior, along with his father.

He got in a fight with Georgiev in New York and supposedly got punched out.

He pissed off Torts last season with the Flyers to the point they scratched him the last few weeks and played with 5 dmen.

Its pretty clear he's just a bad person.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

He pissed off Torts last season with the Flyers to the point they scratched him the last few weeks and played with 5 dmen.

Or at least a bad team mate with poor impulse control.

Reactions: Ciao

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why did he not get a fat contract as other defenseman who score as well or slightly below? Why wasn't there a bidding war for him?

Ever heard of a flat cap?

The bolded happened almost a decade ago when he was in the OHL.

I honestly don't think he's a bad person. He's had his issues in the past but we haven't heard a peep since he became a Hurricane.

Lol. So because his dad is racist that makes him. bad person? Yea he's used slurs in the past, but again that was a decade ago. Nothing since.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Give it like a week, or two and Montreal will need a dman.

Habs were supposedly interested before, but I think he wouldn't waive to come to Montreal, or something.

Habs could use a ppqb. Could sell high on Matheson somewhere else and get DeAngelo for a 4th or something I imagine

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Give it like a week, or two and Montreal will need a dman.

Habs were supposedly interested before, but I think he wouldn't waive to come to Montreal, or something.

Habs could use a ppqb. Could sell high on Matheson somewhere else and get DeAngelo for a 4th or something I imagine
Or they could keep the home town Matheson who is a much better overall player and loves it in Montreal. He's also not a total piece of crap

Reactions: biturbo19

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Or they could keep the home town Matheson who is a much better overall player and loves it in Montreal. He's also not a total piece of crap
Questionable defensively, makes great plays and then follows that up with an absolute brain fart.

If you can sell him for a great return you do it and don't look back. He's not part of the future might as well use him to get more pieces for the future

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Questionable defensively, makes great plays and then follows that up with an absolute brain fart.

If you can sell him for a great return you do it and don't look back. He's not part of the future might as well use him to get more pieces for the future
Under no circumstances does Montreal exchange a great team.guy who loves the city for a piece of crap that teams can't get rid of fast enough

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

He’s definitely had an attitude problem in the past and has done some things to earn his tarnished reputation, but IMO his real crime in the eyes of most who disparage him is daring to have political views that differ from their own. THAT’S what people really hate him for.

Reactions: leetch99 and JKG33

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC

Not to mention he moaned and complained about the scratching instead of holding himself accountable. He hasn't learned and likely never will.

Reactions: Ciao and Rebels57

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He’s definitely had an attitude problem in the past and has done some things to earn his tarnished reputation, but IMO his real crime in the eyes of most who disparage him is daring to have political views that differ from their own. THAT’S what people really hate him for.
Bull honky. There are several other players who are open with very similar views.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad