Value of: Tomasino

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
This kid has been great on every level. Lit up the juniors, then lit up the ahl as a 19 year old with over point per game. Last season has over 30 points playing on fourth line with minimal minutes. Before season start most preds fans figured he would play second line. Not ahl lol.
But, for some reason, the preds have decided that we are better off having guys playing like cole smith, Sherwood, glass, Sanford, etc, in the lineup over him. Which to me is ridiculous. We opened the season in Prague and excluded him from that as well which would have been a neat experience for our young budding star. Now he’s just rotting away in the ahl. I mean the kid has done everything right and for a 21 year old kid that’s done so well, this has to be an annoying setback to him. After playing all her in the NHL last year, do you think he felt he would be an ahler this year? Do the preds want to ruin his confidence? Make him feel bit valued? It’s puzzling.
People use the waiver exempt excuse but I mean a lot of our tweeners playing have the same thing.
I’m so annoyed about it I haven’t even watched a preds game this season and I never miss games.

So,
Not saying he would be dealt, but he sure isn’t helping us out being in the ahl. The tweeners we have up in place of him…. SMH.

So what would your team offer for our shunned ahl stud?!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I mean, it's ridiculous that he's not in the NHL lineup, we all agree on that, but at the same time it's pretty clear that he's also not on the trade market.

And even if he was, the Preds are not in a good spot to make the kind of trade that involves giving up a talented ELC forward. The team has a big Salary Cap crunch coming next season with many players already signed and new contracts coming for RFAs Jeannot, Fabbro, Carrier, and Glass. There is already no Cap space left, even if the Cap jumps per the latest projections. So you can't go trading Tomasino for a more established (= higher salaried) player. Unless it's a rental. But then the Preds also aren't good enough to really play the rental market. And even though we have more Cap space than most teams THIS season, it's still less than $2M, so there's not really much room to add anybody of significance yet, even as a rental.

Tomasino isn't struggling in any way, so not really a candidate to trade either for just some other "change of scenery" prospect. And what we need is more talent up front anyway, so he's already the exact type of prospect we need most in our system.

I just don't seen any scenario where trading him is gonna make sense. We just have to ride out this hopefully-shortlived scheme that the team hatched to play some scrubs instead, and assume he'll be back up sooner rather than later.
:dunno:

Reactions: maplepred

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Trying to figure out all three of their RFA's - both Tomasino and Parssinen plus the defenseman Marc Del Gaizo.

Seems like Tomasino would be a fixture for years to come after his rookie season but that has not been the case.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Is Nashville going to sign him?
I suspect it's more like "is Tomasino going to sign the contract Nashville is offering him". Which probably doesn't look much different than his QO and is probably a 2-way offer?

I'm hoping they might be able to compromise on a 1-year, 1-way deal at the league minimum $775k. Because really, since Tomasino is no longer exempt from waivers, there's no point in trying to ram a 2-way deal down his throat. If he gets sent down, he's going to be claimed. Which would probably be best for him too, he basically just needs to get out of the Nashville organization. So he should just sign whatever the Preds are offering and get on with it.

Obviously his sheer production numbers might argue for a better contract than that, but he's not going to get anything better from the Preds. The team already seems to think of him as a lost cause, and have no real motivation to get him under contract. If he'll take their offer, fine, if not - also fine. They wouldn't care if he sat out or went overseas to play, because they just don't see him as a likely player on the team anyway. It's not like he has any leverage if he holds out. His best course of action is to just get signed, and hope to get traded or waived, then start working to impress his new team for his next contract.

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Trying to figure out all three of their RFA's - both Tomasino and Parssinen plus the defenseman Marc Del Gaizo.

Seems like Tomasino would be a fixture for years to come after his rookie season but that has not been the case.
I think the team has more time for Parssinen and Del Gaizo than for Tomasino.

Del Gaizo would at least be in the running for a spot on the Preds, likely vying with Stastney or perhaps even Blankenburg as a spare D. He showed well enough last season that he could make it. Or they also probably wouldn't be particularly worried about anybody claiming him on waivers, so he could go back to the AHL. Again, they are probably just offering a 2-way deal at the league minimum, though, since he is completely unproven at the NHL level.

Parssinen to me should be a "sure bet" to play on the Preds next season. Not sure in which role, they bounced him around last season before sending him down and don't seem to like him as a center (I really like him as a center). But he'll be on the team. I would think both sides should be amenable to a 1-way/league minimum deal. I don't think he has quite shown enough that he's "risk free" yet at sticking in the NHL, so you can't offer him a multi-year deal just yet. I really don't know what the hold up would be with his case. :dunno:

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Verbeek publicly claimed that he wanted to add a right-shot scoring forward this offseason. He struck out on Stamkos and Marchessault, but Tomasino could be a nice upside play. I don't think the Ducks would offer much since Tomasino will be waiver eligible next season (is that confirmed?), but I can definitely see them being interested.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Dann thought he had potential
He does have lots of potential. But he just hasn't been a fit for the hard-working lunchpail kind of mentality the latest two Preds coaches have preferred. Tomasino has all the requisite skills to be at least a middle-six offensive player, he has already been chipping in at nearly 0.5ppg even with abysmal icetime and linemates. But he isn't a tough or abrasive player, and it seems like they question his work ethic? I mean, our team has been starved for all kinds of offense, so it has been a bit of annoyance that they couldn't utilize him (or Tolvanen) to get some supporting offense, even if they weren't 100% happy with all the other aspects of the players' games. But such is life for the Preds.

I do hope Tomasino goes elsewhere and does have the same kind of trajectory as Tolvanen. They may not be star players, but they're valid NHL players who can chip in some complementary offense.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe something around Tomasino and Coleman could work out well for both teams. Flames don't have a ton of RHS forwards in their pool.
Preds are already over the Cap. If Tomasino was traded it’d be for a prospect or pick. But teams probably shouldn’t offer much because it’s a real possibility he’ll be on waivers.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Nashville has no cap space. They can’t take money back.

Preds are already over the Cap. If Tomasino was traded it’d be for a prospect or pick. But teams probably shouldn’t offer much because it’s a real possibility he’ll be on waivers.

Ahh yeah didn't realize. Probably not going to work then unless they want to throw Glass or somebody in there and the Flames retain.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I suspect it's more like "is Tomasino going to sign the contract Nashville is offering him". Which probably doesn't look much different than his QO and is probably a 2-way offer?

I'm hoping they might be able to compromise on a 1-year, 1-way deal at the league minimum $775k. Because really, since Tomasino is no longer exempt from waivers, there's no point in trying to ram a 2-way deal down his throat. If he gets sent down, he's going to be claimed. Which would probably be best for him too, he basically just needs to get out of the Nashville organization. So he should just sign whatever the Preds are offering and get on with it.

Obviously his sheer production numbers might argue for a better contract than that, but he's not going to get anything better from the Preds. The team already seems to think of him as a lost cause, and have no real motivation to get him under contract. If he'll take their offer, fine, if not - also fine. They wouldn't care if he sat out or went overseas to play, because they just don't see him as a likely player on the team anyway. It's not like he has any leverage if he holds out. His best course of action is to just get signed, and hope to get traded or waived, then start working to impress his new team for his next contract.
Been rumours Montreal interested in him. Habs have tons of caproom. Maybe a potential deal?

Reactions: Nevins

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Trotz and Brunette have done Tomasino the dirty so bad, he's gonna thrive on whatever team he gets traded to. This has Tolvanen written all over it.

Don't know that I'd kill the Predators about Tolvanen. His 41 points were nice. Minus-15 not so much. On a Seattle team that missed the playoffs.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Don't know that I'd kill the Predators about Tolvanen. His 41 points were nice. Minus-15 not so much. On a Seattle team that missed the playoffs.
The problem with the Tolvanen thing isn't so much that he was moved. It's that he was moved for absolutely nothing while other forwards on the team were providing much less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad