Recalled/Assigned: Tomas Jurco

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tomas Jurco can handle the puck. He knows to give it back to Pav. Did he not get credited with the shot on the PP? That was a dandy. Just needs to fire more.

That shot on the PP was a beauty, don't know how that didn't count as a shot. Think that would have beaten a decent amount of goalies in the league up high.

Stupid huge goalies....

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
http://sport.sme.sk/c/7042315/jurco...-ze-som-nevnimal-stvrty-zapas-za-pat-dni.html
Interview in the biggest slovak newspaper, if you´re interested google translate will help.
Some quotes:
You´ve played with stars Datsyuk and Alfredsson. Did they say something important to you?
„To be honest, no. I expected they would have talk about playing system. Datsyuk said a little bit about what we play here. ... We played hockey and didn´t care about playing system.

Coach Babcock praised you a lot after the game in front of media. Did he say something specifically?
„He didn´t say a word to me in person. Just GR coach had a phone talk with me and said I´ve played very well. It made me happy.

Did Tomas Tatar give you some advices?
He just said me to play my game and if Babcock would tell me something, that I have not to make a big deal about it.... (I find this very hillarious :laugh:)

Clardz

Jan 25, 2013
DFW
I'm mostly active on the Dallas boards but I'm a huge fan of Jurčo, watched him all through last season and have been really stoked to see first of all his explosion in the Calder Cup playoffs, and then how he's taken it to the next level this season. Awesome to see him getting a shot with the Wings. I translated the rest of the interview mentioned above, I've only been studying Slovak language for a year and a half so this isn't as good as if done by a native speaker, but it should be decent:

Jurčo: I was so excited to go to the NHL, that I didn't feel like it was my fourth game in five days

On saturday, he played his third game in four days on the farm in Grand Rapids. That evening however he got the call from Detroit, where the coach Mike Babcock was integrating him into the big club. Though The Red Wings would lose to Tampa Bay 0-3, in his first NHL game, Tomáš Jurčo did not disappoint.

-How would you evaluate you first game in the NHL?
"Just the fact that they called me up has already been fantastic. When I heard that I was going to play on the first line with Alfredsson and Datsyuk, my stage fright/jitters disappeared. From the first shift, I felt better and better on into the third period. I evaluate my first game very positively."

-Was it hectic since you had such a busy schedule in the AHL?
"It was busy, in the last five days I played four games. Moreover, after saturdays game, the next morning I left at 7am to head to Detroit. I didn't sleep much, but because of the fact the I was so excited, I couldn't get to sleep. I was so excited for the game, that I didn't even feel like I hadn't slept (lit. I didn't even notice that I hadn't slept) It was great for me.

(See above post for the three already translated)

-Detroit management said that you were called up mainly because of your offensive production, did they say something similar to you?
"No, they didn't say that to me what their expectations were. I only came for the game I played in. Today is a new day."

-For the overseas media you said that you that felt like it was the AHL final, where you played against Tampa Bay's farm team.
"Yes, it was like the final against Syracuse. But this is a different level; after all, it's the NHL."

-Many fans on the Red Wings forums wrote that you're a bit like a young Marian Hossa, what do you say to this comparison?
"Of course, it's a nice comparison to hear. Majo (nickname for Hossa) has accomplished things that I can't compare with. Plus there is only one Marian Hossa.

-What does the near future look like, how long do you think you'll stay up with the Red Wings?
"I can't say for certain. It was told to me in Grand Rapids, that I'm staying here for the week. Of course I will do my best, to stay up with the big team as long as possible."

Last edited:

NyquistIsMyGod*

Red Wings prospects generally have a season where they come up for a few games and then have the chance of making it the following season. So hopefully Jurco sticks for a week or so, gets another call-up later on for 4-5, etc. After that, he'd have a realistic shot of making it next season, though he could be forced back down.

Thanks for translating. Babcock seems like such a weird dude. I love that he put Jurco with Alfredsson and Datsyuk though in his first game. Hopefully he gets about 4 games in before being sent down. Rack up a couple points and that should be an additional confidence boost in the AHL.

NyquistIsMyGod*

That shot on the PP was a beauty, don't know how that didn't count as a shot. Think that would have beaten a decent amount of goalies in the league up high.

Stupid huge goalies....

Thinking about it, maybe it hit Bert's stick for a deflection. Loved the confidence to shoot that, and that shot was excellent. Did thee old Datsyuk powerplay move.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
http://sport.sme.sk/c/7042315/jurco...-ze-som-nevnimal-stvrty-zapas-za-pat-dni.html
Interview in the biggest slovak newspaper, if you´re interested google translate will help.
Some quotes:
You´ve played with stars Datsyuk and Alfredsson. Did they say something important to you?
„To be honest, no. I expected they would have talk about playing system. Datsyuk said a little bit about what we play here. ... We played hockey and didn´t care about playing system.

Coach Babcock praised you a lot after the game in front of media. Did he say something specifically?
„He didn´t say a word to me in person. Just GR coach had a phone talk with me and said I´ve played very well. It made me happy.

Did Tomas Tatar give you some advices?
He just said me to play my game and if Babcock would tell me something, that I have not to make a big deal about it.... (I find this very hillarious :laugh:)

Kid needs a media crash course stat. :nod:

But it is hilarious and very refreshing to hear a raw straight honest answer to the question asked. No generic clichés yet.

Kind of threw Tatar and Babcock (and himself) under the bus in the process though.

kap0r

Dec 26, 2010
Bratislava
native speaker here :)

The Tatar vs Babcock line is a little hard to translate word-by-word as it's a phrase, meaning something along the lines of "When the coach says something harsh to you, suck it up/don ´t get offended"
So yeah, no harsh feelings, no harm done by Tomas. A really nice interview, he ´s got a good head on his shoulders ;)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm mostly active on the Dallas boards but I'm a huge fan of Jurčo, watched him all through last season and have been really stoked to see first of all his explosion in the Calder Cup playoffs, and then how he's taken it to the next level this season. Awesome to see him getting a shot with the Wings. I translated the rest of the interview mentioned above, I've only been studying Slovak language for a year and a half so this isn't as good as if done by a native speaker, but it should be decent:

Jurčo: I was so excited to go to the NHL, that I didn't feel like it was my fourth game in five days

On saturday, he played his third game in four days on the farm in Grand Rapids. That evening however he got the call from Detroit, where the coach Mike Babcock was integrating him into the big club. Though The Red Wings would lose to Tampa Bay 0-3, in his first NHL game, Tomáš Jurčo did not disappoint.

-How would you evaluate you first game in the NHL?
"Just the fact that they called me up has already been fantastic. When I heard that I was going to play on the first line with Alfredsson and Datsyuk, my stage fright/jitters disappeared. From the first shift, I felt better and better on into the third period. I evaluate my first game very positively."

-Was it hectic since you had such a busy schedule in the AHL?
"It was busy, in the last five days I played four games. Moreover, after saturdays game, the next morning I left at 7am to head to Detroit. I didn't sleep much, but because of the fact the I was so excited, I couldn't get to sleep. I was so excited for the game, that I didn't even feel like I hadn't slept (lit. I didn't even notice that I hadn't slept) It was great for me.

(See above post for the three already translated)

-Detroit management said that you were called up mainly because of your offensive production, did they say something similar to you?
"No, they didn't say that to me what their expectations were. I only came for the game I played in. Today is a new day."

-For the overseas media you said that you that felt like it was the AHL final, where you played against Tampa Bay's farm team.
"Yes, it was like the final against Syracuse. But this is a different level; after all, it's the NHL."

-Many fans on the Red Wings forums wrote that you're a bit like a young Marian Hossa, what do you say to this comparison?
"Of course, it's a nice comparison to hear. Majo (nickname for Hossa) has accomplished things that I can't compare with. Plus there is only one Marian Hossa.

-What does the near future look like, how long do you think you'll stay up with the Red Wings?
"I can't say for certain. It was told to me in Grand Rapids, that I'm staying here for the week. Of course I will do my best, to stay up with the big team as long as possible."

Thanks for the translation! Jurco looked good in his first game and already has a goal tonight. If Kenneh can get over his love for over the hill players then Jurco should be in the DRW lineup from here on out.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
That was an interesting interview. I wish I had better context. When Jurco says Babs and Datsyuk didn't say much to him, was he talking about a big "Welcome to the NHL, kid" and all that or does he mean nuts and bolts of the game and system and how he's expected to play his position?

And maybe I'm missing something in translation but is Datsyuk saying the Wings don't have a system and they just play hockey?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Congratulations to Tomáš! These Olympics are even more exciting now.

Doesn't that make the Red Wings the team with the most Olympians then? Or tied for first?

Johnz96*

'It says the Wings are decimated with injuries, there’s not enough NHL players, but it also says he’s a talent and has an upside.'

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Think Jurco is just filling in for Tatar Thursday then going back down.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Have to admit, surprised by the call-up. Wonder if he'll slot onto the top line then and Nyquist will get bumped down for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad