LeBrun: Tomas Hertl not likely to sign extension with the Sharks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Which they very well could be this season considering how weak the division is and if Eklund is the real deal riding shotgun to Hertl, they can absolutely compete for that spot. We'll see.
Eklund is still just a kid, unless he has McDavid like rookie season he won’t be helping them nearly enough to compete this season. Sharks still have the weakest roster of their division besides Seattle, even if Eklund gets 50-60 points. Kings, Nucks and Vegas have superior key players, Ducks & Kings have much better prospect depth too.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The writing is on the wall regarding a Sharks rebuild. The front office keeps pushing this narrative of being competitive, but it's all a smoke show to keep a small market's fan base buying tickets. Every move they have made since the crash and burn of 2019 has signaled a rebuild. The Karlsson/Burns experiment hasn't worked out - the seamless transition out of the Marleau/Jumbo era failed. And honestly, that should not be seen as a slight against Doug Wilson, it is nearly impossible for a team to stay competitive forever. They went all in to make those final few deep runs. You get Kane off the books, trade Hertl and Burns, pick up a few good picks, and realistically, you can be competitive again pretty soon. Couture and Vlasic are two vets I would want to lead and mentor a youth movement.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Even with a shortlist, I'm going to guess that bidding will be fierce. A (what will be a late) first + an top-notch prospect + a solid-yet-unspectacular-depth player would be my guess. From the Avs, something like 1st + Newhook + Kaut.

What is this? For a rental with a 3 team list?

If he signed long term for ~8M immediately then it's a different animal. If not then drop Newhook.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I mean, aren't both of those things relevant to this conversation? The bad contracts make competing difficult and the poor prospect pool will make the turnaround take longer. That will factor into whether a soon to be 28 year old is going to re-sign with the team he is on.

I think your sarcasm detector is in need of repairs.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
The Athletic ranked them #22 this off season. THN Future Watch had them at 30th before the draft. Eklund is a lottery pick and you got some good guys like Bordealeau, Wiessblatt and Merkley. So what are we misssing?
And EPRinkside rated #14, and Byron Bader ranked #5.

Maybe perhaps rankings are varied?

Reactions: Patty Ice

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He's a good player. Hopefully whatever team makes the trade gets an extension from him in place so Sharks can get a great addition to the future roster.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Even with a shortlist, I'm going to guess that bidding will be fierce. A (what will be a late) first + an top-notch prospect + a solid-yet-unspectacular-depth player would be my guess. From the Avs, something like 1st + Newhook + Kaut.
If there's one thing the Avs need after this offseason, it's less 1st rounders, less prospects, and less cap space. If the Avs made this trade(and somehow made the cap work short term) they'd be better right now and almost as bad as SJ in a few years when they have to start giving players away to pay for too many high dollar contracts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Nothing for nothing but he is 31 and has steadily trended downwards for 5 straight years, historicaly things do not look good moving forward. I am not sure I have ever seen a player rebound from this type of thing.
Have you?

Yeah. Dustin Brown had a renaissance at an older age. It wouldn't be the first time it happens.

Players aren't delusional homers.

They're also not silly doomer types that think teams are as bad as ignorant outsider fans think they are.

Is Karlsson going to get PP1 minutes?

Highly likely.

Eklund is still just a kid, unless he has McDavid like rookie season he won’t be helping them nearly enough to compete this season. Sharks still have the weakest roster of their division besides Seattle, even if Eklund gets 50-60 points. Kings, Nucks and Vegas have superior key players, Ducks & Kings have much better prospect depth too.

He doesn't need to have a McDavid like rookie season to help the Sharks compete for a playoff spot. The idea that their roster is weakest besides Seattle is very debateable. Besides, injuries can hit any team hard enough to make them a lot worse than anticipated. I tend to see Vegas and Edmonton as the top two teams of the division but that last spot is up for grabs. I don't think any of the Kings, Canucks, Flames, or Ducks made additions that separate them from anyone else in the division.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Everyone should be asking about Hertl, but his value will really depend on if he opens up the 3 team trade list or not. If he doesnt, sharks are probably looking at a first plus something minor. If he does its going to take a fantastic return

Right. He could use that three team list like a cudgel to get what he wants like Taylor Hall did. Or he could open it up to a lot more contending teams. It's REALLY hard to have any viable conversation about a potential return until we know Hertl's intentions. Hertl could say "sure, I'll go to Boston, Ottawa and Arizona, but won't sign in Arizona or Ottawa". Or he could say "tell me what offers you get and I'll give an OK to most playoff teams". In one scenario, Sharks fans are pissed. In the other, they get a great return back.

Reactions: themelkman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

It depends who he puts on the list. If he says, Rangers + Buffalo + Arizona are his three teams... but he won't re-sign in Buffalo and Arizona...

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Bidding can still be fierce among teams not on the list, Hertl will just have the ability to choose his final destination. Hall was coveted even with a NMC, he just was able to ensure he went to Boston. The ultimate return was disappointing though.

The other major challenge is you can't then have Hertl negotiate with the team on an extension pre-trade, cause he will use his NTC to ensure he goes to the team offering him the contract he wants. Basically Hertl's a pure rental with the ability to choose where he goes. It's bad news for SJ and why I thought he was gonna sign an extension.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Bidding can still be fierce among teams not on the list, Hertl will just have the ability to choose his final destination. Hall was coveted even with a NMC, he just was able to ensure he went to Boston. The ultimate return was disappointing though.

The other major challenge is you can't then have Hertl negotiate with the team on an extension pre-trade, cause he will use his NTC to ensure he goes to the team offering him the contract he wants. Basically Hertl's a pure rental with the ability to choose where he goes. It's bad news for SJ and why I thought he was gonna sign an extension.
Let’s manifest the hertl to Boston trade.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yeah you're not getting that for a rental. With an extension, sure. But not for a rental, no team is paying a blue chip tier prospect for a rental.

Now if Hertl came with an extension in that 7.5M range, I'd pay an awful lot. Though I would still prefer to keep Newhook as our forward depth is light.

But something around Byram or Girard I think would be where I'd look to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad