LeBrun: Tomas Hertl not likely to sign extension with the Sharks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
What's the point of re-signing him?

With the money they have tied up on past-their-prime veterans like Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic, this team isn't going to be contending for the duration of their contracts

All signing Hertl does is tie up more cap space on a player who will soon be on the wrong side of 30, and make the team just competitive enough so they never quite bottom out to the point they'll get high picks in the draft and the franchise-changing talent that comes with them...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Can’t blame him. It’s also best for the Sharks to move on from him. The team needs a major rebuild. Trade him and get back some picks and prospects.

Reactions: Choralone

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Everyone should be asking about Hertl, but his value will really depend on if he opens up the 3 team trade list or not. If he doesnt, sharks are probably looking at a first plus something minor. If he does its going to take a fantastic return

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If that is the fantasy world you have chosen to live in the so be it, but players are not stupid and they know the difference between a team that makes a miracle playoff run and a real contender. The sharks have no chance at being a real contender in the next 3-4 years.

f*** off with your condescension. You don't know anywhere near what you think you do and you have no crystal ball.

The better prospect pools have multiple high end prospects. In my opinion Elkund is the only one with star potential. Every team has multiple B and C prospects which the Sharks are flush with.

The fact that there might be five prospects who make the team is due to there being 8 - 10 roster spots currently filled by borderline NHLers. Just because a few propects make the team out of camp doesn't prove that they will be difference makers in the future, as of now they are simply outplaying bad players.

I didn't say they were the best but they are far from the worst. It's just the same stale uninformed posts that people who barely follow the Sharks say to make themselves feel smart.

I hate to tell ya but a healthy EK is at the beach taking it easy so he can 'bulk up'.

Yeah except that isn't the case now which those that actually follow know and those that don't make up.

That's exactly why he would want to leave.

That's your opinion. Not necessarily shared by those in that bubble.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Flames will re-sign him after Gaudreau walks to destroy any chances of a rebuild.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
f*** off with your condescension. You don't know anywhere near what you think you do and you have no crystal ball.

I didn't say they were the best but they are far from the worst. It's just the same stale uninformed posts that people who barely follow the Sharks say to make themselves feel smart.

Yeah except that isn't the case now which those that actually follow know and those that don't make up.

That's your opinion. Not necessarily shared by those in that bubble.

Hey I told sharks fans at the time of the trade EK has never been know for his training habits and his play would fall of a cliff once his natural young man stamina was gone.
I also said the locker-room would implode once jumbo Joe was gone and EK became one of the leaders.
I will stick to not knowing you can think what you want.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Curious, expanding beyond Hertl likely gone, do Sharks fans see Couture, Meier and Labanc staying? Seems like those are the only real established guys in their prime (Kane's a cancer, Karlsson/ Burns/ Vlasic are over the hill, Cogliano/ Bonino, etc. are really just depth) so I wonder what a teardown looks like for you guys (since there isn't really a Chychrun or Zegras here to build around if those core guys go, and the kids aren't ready).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Curious, expanding beyond Hertl likely gone, do Sharks fans see Couture, Meier and Labanc staying? Seems like those are the only real established guys in their prime (Kane's a cancer, Karlsson/ Burns/ Vlasic are over the hill, Cogliano/ Bonino, etc. are really just depth) so I wonder what a teardown looks like for you guys (since there isn't really a Chychrun or Zegras here to build around if those core guys go, and the kids aren't ready).

In a full teardown situation, Meier and Labanc are gone - not a chance either is kept. Couture would depend on whether anyone bites. Burns likely has value as well (he's being miscast as a shutdown defenseman right now, though his days of 80-point seasons are likely gone regardless). The depth veterans all have some value.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
And don’t forget, they have one of the worst prospect pools in the NHL!

I mean, aren't both of those things relevant to this conversation? The bad contracts make competing difficult and the poor prospect pool will make the turnaround take longer. That will factor into whether a soon to be 28 year old is going to re-sign with the team he is on.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hey I told sharks fans at the time of the trade EK has never been know for his training habits and his play would fall of a cliff once his natural young man stamina was gone.
I also said the locker-room would implode once jumbo Joe was gone and EK became one of the leaders.
I will stick to not knowing you can think what you want.

It's a matter of fact that he's been training this offseason. Might have something to do with him finally being healthy going into one for once.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Everyone should be asking about Hertl, but his value will really depend on if he opens up the 3 team trade list or not. If he doesnt, sharks are probably looking at a first plus something minor. If he does its going to take a fantastic return

What if it's a sign and trade type of deal?
If I'm the GM of Ottawa I would do a (3-5year @ 8.5M) and offer San Jose:
Ottawa's 1st round pick in 2022(top-3 protection) + Jarventie + Tierney

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What if it's a sign and trade type of deal?
If I'm the GM of Ottawa I would do a (3-5year @ 8.5M) and offer San Jose:
Ottawa's 1st round pick in 2022(top-3 protection) + Jarventie + Tierney
If the deal is open to Ottawa then its probably open to every team, so id be looking for a stronger return than Cobra and a B prospect with the first. Closer to Mark Stone than Nick Folingo hopefully.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If the deal is open to Ottawa then its probably open to every team, so id be looking for a stronger return than Cobra and a B prospect with the first. Closer to Mark Stone than Nick Folingo hopefully.

Good point. Is he not signing because of the team's status or because he wants too much.
And is my contract offer decent or is looking for something atrocious like 9+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad