Prospect Info: Tomas Hamara - D - 87th overall - Tappara - Liiga

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sounds like main knocks are "not elite at anything" and "not overly physical" which in an 18 year old isn't very concerning. Will be fun to see where he's at in 2-3 years!

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He reminds me of Leafs draft pick Topi Niemela at the same age.

Not dynamic or toolsy but very intelligent, makes little mistakes and moves the puck well.

Definitely our pick I liked the most. Not surprised he's impressing enough to garner a contract this early.

Reactions: Cosmix and bicboi64

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don’t believe that’s how it works. If he didn’t sign an ELC - I believe you’d be 100% correct.

But since he signed a contract in Ottawa, he can be loaned out to Tappara, but can also play in the AHL or CHL.

Him signing in Ottawa allows Ottawa all the control with where he plays next season - that’s why he was signed this early to an ELC.
1st round pick could be loaned to AHL or CHL, non-first round pick would be sent back to Liiga.

Well, this is old info and I'm not sure if something's changed about that, but at least it used to be so that he needed to be offered back to Tappara first and only if Tappara's ok with it can he play elsewhere. Unless first round pick.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just like I have been speculating about.

"Back to Extraliga"? What does Extraliga have to do with anything?

His own words can be whatever but the team still has to offer him to Tappara first. If Tappara declines then sure, he can do what he wants. But he can't just breach contract.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

His own words can be whatever but the team still has to offer him to Tappara first. If Tappara declines then sure, he can do what he wants. But he can't just breach contract.
They mixed up the quote and obviously made a mistake between the Finnish and Czech leagues - the question asked was:

”Do you think you’re planning on going back and getting a full season in the Liiga next year”

and Tomas‘ response was

“No, actually - it seems like I will be staying in North America next season where I will go to camp and see what happens - of course I will try to fight for an NHL/AHL spot but it seems like I will go to Kitchener Rangers“

Here is the Podcast it was derived from - the quote starts at 7:48 and ends at 8:10

Reactions: HSF

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London

Doesn't the entry level contract supersede that contract? If he made the team or sent to AHL, that would still technically breach his Tappara contract too. Sounds like they get to send him wherever they want.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He reminds me of Leafs draft pick Topi Niemela at the same age.

Not dynamic or toolsy but very intelligent, makes little mistakes and moves the puck well.

Definitely our pick I liked the most. Not surprised he's impressing enough to garner a contract this early.
Seems similar to JBD.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
JBD is just like a plain burger. I had such big hopes for that guy!

Lol. I see him as a Ford Maverick.

If you look at his specs, he’s definitely a pickup truck. Still useful, you can haul stuff and do a lot with him. But most people shopping for a pickup truck likely want something bigger and with more power.

Reactions: Cosmix

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Lol. I see him as a Ford Maverick.

If you look at his specs, he’s definitely a pickup truck. Still useful, you can haul stuff and do a lot with him. But most people shopping for a pickup truck likely want something bigger and with more power.
I see a lot of people with pickup trucks who have pristine flatbeds. Maybe a lot of people think they need all that power and clearance but really they just don't know what they're looking for?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Compensating for something.

See also: Jeep Wranglers.
I had a little ford Ranger in the 90's and that thing was just so practical to have, it was small enough to take anywhere without worrying but any time you needed to move something big, be it sheets of drywall or a couch, it was no problem. We had a bed liner and managed to keep the bed looking pretty good for much longer than you'd expect given how much use it actually got.

I quickly vowed never to get a truck again after friends always asked me for help moving their crap around. Same reason I never want a third row of seats, I don't need to be the go to parent when it comes time to bring the kids and all their friends to something.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I had a little ford Ranger in the 90's and that thing was just so practical to have, it was small enough to take anywhere without worrying but any time you needed to move something big, be it sheets of drywall or a couch, it was no problem. We had a bed liner and managed to keep the bed looking pretty good for much longer than you'd expect given how much use it actually got.

I quickly vowed never to get a truck again after friends always asked me for help moving their crap around. Same reason I never want a third row of seats, I don't need to be the go to parent when it comes time to bring the kids and all their friends to something.
Scrooge! :)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
JBD is just like a plain burger. I had such big hopes for that guy!

He has a much better chance at a career if expectations are kept in line with his skillset, unlike Ceci, Wiercioch, Cowen or any number of guys that flamed out with us because they were asked to do too much too fast.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

But that third row is golden to separate the kids on long drives….. Absolutely Golden!

He has a much better chance at a career if expectations are kept in line with his skillset, unlike Ceci, Wiercioch, Cowen or any number of guys that flamed out with us because they were asked to do too much too fast.
Agreed. He looks like he can be a solid mobile defender at this point. Not much offence, but his D has been pretty low key awesome so far in the AHL.

That may be all, but we could use a wet blanket to the other teams offence…

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. He looks like he can be a solid mobile defender at this point. Not much offence, but his D has been pretty low key awesome so far in the AHL.

That may be all, but we could use a wet blanket to the other teams offence…

Right now he looks like a #4 ceiling with a likely bottom pairing type career, at least based on current projections.

Considering the guys we've thrown on the 3rd pairing over recent years, it's not the worst situation in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad