Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
points in 3 straight is a good sign, but I still see the same puck management issues while not in high pressure situations. He needs to play a lot and get touches in high stakes situations to fix his biggest flaw. He's already a NHL player without the puck on his stick right now.
It looks like he's generating a lot more offensively this year 5 on 5. He's leading the rush into the zone and carrying the puck below the endline here and there in his games now. Last game he generated several chances playing aggressive like that, so to my eye he is getting his touches far more this year. Just a shame he didn't get PP1 duty, although judging by the last game, he's getting a fair amount of PP2 time since PP1 isn't scoring. His PP2 group looks pretty good, lots of puck movement, shot generation, and recovering loose pucks. Not a lot of globetrotting, his group really works as a unit which is good to see, and Willander is the quarterback.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You must be in your 90's. Nobody was getting a full ride topping out at 75 mph, I don't care how good your hook was. Having played decent ball and with two guys who got money from big league teams in Aronetz and Macdonald, a guy needs a bit of cheddar to go with the looper.

I took that as that was the initial improvement after learning to pitch then the “arm strength” exploded in April after that.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He’s baby sitting a 17 year old who looks like fish out of water a ton because of the size change from the USHL

at I’ll be shocked if that left side holds up this season once they play the NCHC or BC

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Is Hutson gone though? even with another Hutson that may dominate the PP, he needs to assert himself more offensively at this level, just to push his limits and comfort zone. He is on track to be an all situations D one day, I dont mind the weight questions, he is light if you want to compare him with other similarly deployed D, like... Brodin for example, ideally he reaches 200 LBs by 21-22.
I think Willander should hit that weight he's gotta a good frame.

I do think we see more assertiveness from him now that Hutson is gone, I don't see another player getting a system built around him like he did.

Gun to my head tho, I hope the part of his game that gets him to a elite level is his defensive game if the hope is him pairing with Quinn.
There is something very satisfying seeing our dmen become good to really good defensively under these coaches, without being stifled offensively.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
You must be in your 90's. Nobody was getting a full ride topping out at 75 mph, I don't care how good your hook was. Having played decent ball and with two guys who got money from big league teams in Aronetz and Macdonald, a guy needs a bit of cheddar to go with the looper.
Wasn't given a full ride at 75, lol just made the club team.
I was around 82-84 by the time I got serious interest.

My teammate also a lefty was drafted by the rangers, topping at 87. This was in the mid 90's and ya times have really changed that's for sure. There were still guys (mostly righties) that threw gas but another guy Jeff Francis (same local league but a bit younger) had the same range.

Seeing how common TJ surgery is today, the velo had come at a huge cost.

Reactions: Blue and Green

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

My teammate also a lefty was drafted by the rangers, topping at 87. This was in the mid 90's and ya times have really changed that's for sure. There were still guys (mostly righties) that threw gas but another guy Jeff Francis (same local league but a bit younger) had the same range.

Need more Knuckleballs!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

With mlb free agency rules it’s not as profitable to be a P anymore. Teams are not paying ufa pitchers like Price into their late 30’s anymore. Wear and tear on the arm.

Be interesting to see what the dodgers do with Ohtani as a Pitcher moving forward. Will they let him pitch? And if they do what is the pitch count for him?

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wonder if the plan is to have him play like half a season in the A next year. Would be good to build up his confidence first before throwing him into the big league.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Well we do have Desharnais signed for 1 more. He would need to be exceptional after an injury call up to bump him I suppose.

That's my line of thought. They have three RD signed to not-insignificant contracts for next year. Willander would have to blow Desharnais out of the water at training camp, there's an injury, or Desharnais is traded. Allvin has talked about being a big believer in getting their prospects into the AHL before they make the jump to the NHL.

Reactions: arttk

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching those Wilander highlights on YouTube from some of BU's early games, it's more than a little eye-opening. His skating and edgework are simply off-the-charts.

In a couple of clips, his juking and jiving at the blueline and his lateral agility are reminiscent of Quinn Hughes. Based on skating ability and puck management alone, if he does spend time in Abbotsford, it won't be very long.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wonder if the plan is to have him play like half a season in the A next year. Would be good to build up his confidence first before throwing him into the big league.

I think that would be the most ideal situation. Very few guys can walk onto a team from non-pro leagues and step into being a serviceable NHL D man.

The problem is that it would be really good to know what we might have in him as soon as humanly possible with the ticking clock of the Hughes bargain contract looming over the team. If they truly feel that the Hughes contract is our ultimate window, then we need to know if he can help push this team forward ASAP, or we need to consider trading him for someone who will for the next 2-3 years. Just the unfortunate reality of timing.

Reactions: arttk

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think that would be the most ideal situation. Very few guys can walk onto a team from non-pro leagues and step into being a serviceable NHL D man.

Well it depends on where Willander's game is at and the team's plans for him. I would say a high percentage of Dmen drafted in the top 10 (who aren't busts ) do step into the NHL and be a serviceable NHL Dman. We don't have to treat Willander like a top 10 pick (given that he was drafted 11th overall) though.

I agree with starting him in the AHL and have him develop his offensive game a bit.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

The problem is that it would be really good to know what we might have in him as soon as humanly possible with the ticking clock of the Hughes bargain contract looming over the team. If they truly feel that the Hughes contract is our ultimate window, then we need to know if he can help push this team forward ASAP, or we need to consider trading him for someone who will for the next 2-3 years. Just the unfortunate reality of timing.
I don’t think the Hughes contract is going to be a bottleneck, him earning 13M when the cap is 100M is fine. The Avs got f***ed because they had all their stars get raises during the flat cap era and as they exited, 2 of their top line guys are unavailable for injury or really weird unforeseen reasons.
I think the job will be easier for sure if Willander and Lekk hits. If they hit then there will be less pressure to nail on bargain bin guys.

Anyway I think for dev standpoint, it’s probably a better idea to let Willander be in the A for at least half a season. Ready or not, we don’t want him to get used to playing conservative hockey to stay up, I think that messes with development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad