Confirmed with Link: Toffoli to CGY for Emil Heineman, Tyler Pitlick + Picks (Part 2)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Are you sure about that? I thought the rumor was Edmonton refused to include Draisail.
Correct. Apparently the ask for Subban was nuts, it was Draisalt+4th OV 2016 (Puul)+Nurse or Kelfbom+another prospect.
Surprising part is when Edmonton declined, Bergevin walked entirely instead of negotiating.
How do you go from asking this much to simply taking Weber is also a headscratcher, but as previously mentioned, they had a major stiffy for Weber.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
2021-22Montreal CanadiensNHL3791726
2021-22Calgary FlamesNHL37111223

I'm not that sure about that. How on earth, did he had more points with a bottom playing team like us....

He started on fire the first 15 games with the flames. Before slowing down hard the rest of the season.
He was playing with Suzuki. In Calgary he was playing with Backlund. That is not the same

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Canes win against Rangers, it's 27 and if Rangers win against Carolina, it's 26.
I wanted Rangers over Canes before but seeing we move up another spot. Hope we ready Ivan Miroshnichenko with that pick if we don’t move up.
Let’s Go Rangers!!!!

Last edited:

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Are you sure about that? I thought the rumor was Edmonton refused to include Draisail.
No I’m not sure about that. I also remember Bergevin wanting a pick added to Draisaitl as he was still just an unproven player. I might be completely out to lunch on this one, but after hearing so many trade rumours along the years it’s hard to keep track.

I think the rumor was a pick 4th overall in 2016 and Leon draisaitl for Subban If I recall.

Thank the lord it didn't didn't through haha
Yes this is what I remember too! The Lord was very good to you guys, thank him daily. McJesus for the Cup this year!

Reactions: 26Mats

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Correct. Apparently the ask for Subban was nuts, it was Draisalt+4th OV 2016 (Puul)+Nurse or Kelfbom+another prospect.
Surprising part is when Edmonton declined, Bergevin walked entirely instead of negotiating.
How do you go from asking this much to simply taking Weber is also a headscratcher, but as previously mentioned, they had a major stiffy for Weber.
Dumb Dumb could have changed the habs history for every, if he negotiated better with a even dumber DG in Edmonton.

Draisalt + Nurse + Sergachev(drafted by us)....... We could have a better chance of beating Tampa Bay with that roster.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
I didn't like this trade when it happened, and I like it even less looking at our projected opening day lineup. Toffoli was on a great contract and loved playing in Montreal. Was Mesar and Heineman worth it? I'd rather still have Toffoli.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I didn't like this trade when it happened, and I like it even less looking at our projected opening day lineup. Toffoli was on a great contract and loved playing in Montreal. Was Mesar and Heineman worth it? I'd rather still have Toffoli.
I don't know, a first and a B prospect was a fair price at the time, what we did with the first is the mistake

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

He's on his 4th team in 4 years since and we all know why.

Heineman made the team btw

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That's what happens when you trade for futures. Most fans will drool over the picks and prospects but most don't make it.

Trade was worth it. Not a win like the Suzuki trade but you won't win them all. Mesar has a long road to mature and get stronger and Heineman could turn out into a energy player for us in the middle of the line-up. Still a few years away from his prime.

Grade B+ and late 1st rounder. Good return but didn't hit like some of our other trades.

Reactions: pth2 and BLONG7

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

A large reason for getting rid of Toffoli was to actually rebuild and get better draft picks. Keeping a 25-30 goal scorer in his 30s made no sense and if we kept him it would've just worsened our draft picks.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We had to start the rebuild somewhere............getting a 1st for a vet made sense. I really liked Toffolli but totally understood why this type of deal was made.
Hughes did something with this trade, Bergevin could never do in 10 years....acquire a 1st round pick.

This was the very start of our rebuild, and it was a good move, but we lost a good and popular guy doing so....

Reactions: Redux91 and pth2

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
We had to start the rebuild somewhere............getting a 1st for a vet made sense. I really liked Toffolli but totally understood why this type of deal was made.
Hughes did something with this trade, Bergevin could never do in 10 years....acquire a 1st round pick.

This was the very start of our rebuild, and it was a good move, but we lost a good and popular guy doing so....
💯

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm good with Heineman and Mesar.

Heineman made the team out of camp. And he looked good in his role. He'll be a Bottom-6 player. But he has NHL skating and shot. And because of that shot, he could become an option on the PP. And he has used his 6'2" and 198 lbs frame to his advantage.

Mesar, for all his detractors, still is a promising prospect who was over a PPG player in regular season, playoffs, and WJC last year. He's about to start his first pro season in North America so let's wait before we start making decisions on him.

He had 5 SOG in his one preseason game with the Habs and he could've had a goal as he hit the post. He had an assist in 2 Laval preseason games. And he had an assist in 2 AHL games last year before they decided to send him to Kitchener.

Reactions: Walrus26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Yes it was a good deal. The key to the deal was it weakened us short term. We were able to get Slaf, Reinbacher, and Demidov by being so weak.

Heineman and Mesar are just potential depth players. The key was getting those potential core pieces. I like that Hughes has since used late 1sts to package them with a 2nd to get Newhook and Hage. In hindsight it would have been nice if he did that with the Toffoli 1st. Ironically, we may not have gotten Hutson if he had! So even that use (or misuse getting Mesar) of the late 1st was even better than the subsequent uses of late 1st that brought in Newhook and Hage. Still hope the Florida 1st is packaged. Only once in a blue moon do you get a player like Hutson with a late 2nd.

Reactions: Andrei79 and BLONG7

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He's on his 4th team in 4 years since and we all know why.

Heineman made the team btw

I don't think this reflects poorly on Toffoli at all. He was traded to playoff teams (Calgary, New Jersey, and Winnipeg respectively) because they valued the player and thought he'd improve their team, and all teams sent back decent packages (including first round picks in the first two cases). Then SJ gave him a raise to support their recent No.1 overall pick. This is not a journeyman situation, Toffoli is clearly valued across the league.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I loved Toffoli. Played great, was consistent , clearly well liked in The Room, had a terrific attitude and loved being in Montreal. The numerous trades is just a reflection on how desirable the player is to teams, he is a good player.

No regrets whatsoever on the trade. Rebuilding, not a play off team. In analyzing the trade you look at what was exchanged not what has happened with the pieces, that is another story. A late 1st and B prospect was a good return. A rebuilding team needs lots of darts and some hit, most miss, so you need a lot of darts. The 2 darts we got are still in play, though as I said that is irrelevant in assessing the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad