Speculation: Toews

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I guess for me it comes down to Toews can think/feel this all he wants. He has more than earned that right. He can waive his NMC and ask Davidson to move him this summer. Toews has been my favorite player since I was a teenager so it would suck to see him in another uniform, but I would understand.

What he should not do is speak off the cuff to the press about how nice it might be to play for another team. How detrimental is that to the locker room that he’s supposedly the leader of? Why would any of the young players we’re trying to develop want to stay if their captain doesn’t even want to? If you want to go be a 3rd line shutdown center on a cup contending team, then have at it Toews. But you won’t be wearing the “C” there. Quite frankly, if that’s your mindset, then you shouldn’t be wearing it here either.

Lol @ the bolded. At what point in the last five years has Toews shown any willingness to be a shutdown center?

• Haha
Reactions: Marotte Marauder

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Lol @ the bolded. At what point in the last five years has Toews shown any willingness to be a shutdown center?

This team has been playing pond hockey since the 2017 season

A lack of structure from the coaching staff has been a big problem, clearly Toews hasn’t been in his prime during this period (although he had a career high in points 2018/19, but again the pond hockey had something to do with that) if you put him with a Sutter, Trotz or a team with the proper infrastructure there is little doubt he can still perform that role

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

A lack of structure from the coaching staff has been a big problem, clearly Toews hasn’t been in his prime during this period (although he had a career high in points 2018/19, but again the pond hockey had something to do with that) if you put him with a Sutter, Trotz or a team with the proper infrastructure there is little doubt he can still perform that role
interesting idea that he would be a good fit in Trotz system, doubt he would go to the Isles but he would probably be in a good spot if he did

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

I doubt he has the stamina to actually perform that role anymore to be honest.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Haven't checked but I think their cap situation is ugly

It is. I know they were looking at trading Varly. I’m not sure how much they feel they need a Toews. Likely more of a pure goal scorer at wing. But they would be able to shift Nelson to wing

For the record I don’t necessarily think it’s a destination for Toews, as much an example of a spot he would excel in

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
What exactly is Toews' role as he currently plays?

We don’t have one for him..going back to my previous point that part of the issue is a lack of structure and ability to utilize players properly since 2017…coaching has improved under King but that’s a pretty low bar after the Colliton era, could still do much better

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We don’t have one for him..going back to my previous point that part of the issue is a lack of structure and ability to utilize players properly since 2017…coaching has improved under King but that’s a pretty low bar after the Colliton era, could still do much better

I think he means, anywhere. What role does he serve? He's basically 2015 Brad Richards. He's not a 3C or 4C because you don't want him seeing other team's top lines. He's only a 2C if you're desperate.

The demand for current Toews is very, very small.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Make Johnny a Playing Assistant Coach . When he's ready to retire Management, He's been so good for the Blackhawks he deserves respect and imo he will be a great addition

Reactions: Space umpire

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I think he means, anywhere. What role does he serve? He's basically 2015 Brad Richards. He's not a 3C or 4C because you don't want him seeing other team's top lines. He's only a 2C if you're desperate.

The demand for current Toews is very, very small.
At his current price point sure but on resume alone Toews' is absolutely playing on a third or fourth line somewhere and after his deal expires if he does go elsewhere I'm pretty sure it'll be at a price he's not worthy of if he's looking to get paid. Captain Canada and he wins faceoffs.

You forget how stupid hockey still is.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I will hate the day he leaves to go to play for another franchise. I'm still in the camp of bringing him back until he retires and he'll only get traded when he clearly tells Davidson he wants to get traded - like Keith did.

Reactions: Muffinalt

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
When Toews was good hevtikted the ice...took away pucks...got to retrieve loose pucks,could stay with and finish his check and did motcss now t trail puck carriers who he was tasked with stopping....NOW...slower pace...gliding in checking...intensity level low...energy low...mentally also no longer able to drivea a line consistently ....or be cog helping pk. Being effective ..it is sad that his play has fallen so far off the cliff.... Can a summer of training
get all that back,let alone get his scoring production back to "normal" expected levels?

Call me skeptical.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I will hate the day he leaves to go to play for another franchise. I'm still in the camp of bringing him back until he retires and he'll only get traded when he clearly tells Davidson he wants to get traded - like Keith did.
There's definitely a large part of me that wants to see 19 and 88 play their entire careers as Hawks.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
When Toews was good hevtikted the ice...took away pucks...got to retrieve loose pucks,could stay with and finish his check and did motcss now t trail puck carriers who he was tasked with stopping....NOW...slower pace...gliding in checking...intensity level low...energy low...mentally also no longer able to drivea a line consistently ....or be cog helping pk. Being effective ..it is sad that his play has fallen so far off the cliff.... Can a summer of training
get all that back,let alone get his scoring production back to "normal" expected levels?

Call me skeptical.
Call me optimistic, but I think he might look a lot better next year. (if he stays healthy).

Right before his latest injury, I thought he was playing well and was looking like he had finally gotten his legs back.

However, his game relies on being surrounded by good linemates. Who knows what the roster will look like next season.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Muffinalt

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Put a team that has a realistic chance of making the playoffs on the ice and I'll bet old Jonathan Toews will find some of his former all around game again.......its his concussions that are become the big concern now, IMO.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
hes a fine 3C. .5 points per game and getting stronger as the season goes. great faceoffs and solid defensively. even if we eat half the salary hes probably 1-1.5 overpaid. We can eat half/take on a questionable contract. hes most definitely movable or fine to have on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad