Speculation: Toews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
I guess for me it comes down to Toews can think/feel this all he wants. He has more than earned that right. He can waive his NMC and ask Davidson to move him this summer. Toews has been my favorite player since I was a teenager so it would suck to see him in another uniform, but I would understand.

What he should not do is speak off the cuff to the press about how nice it might be to play for another team. How detrimental is that to the locker room that he’s supposedly the leader of? Why would any of the young players we’re trying to develop want to stay if their captain doesn’t even want to? If you want to go be a 3rd line shutdown center on a cup contending team, then have at it Toews. But you won’t be wearing the “C” there. Quite frankly, if that’s your mindset, then you shouldn’t be wearing it here either.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I would say the Hawks retain Toews to 6.3 million. I think that’s what Monahan makes next year

All hypothetically that Johnny wants out, of course
This would add a bit of cap to the Hawks, but they could do Toews for Monahan and Lucic without retention. All expire after next season. Maybe a small add for Calgary due to Monahan and Lucic being completely useless and Toews still having value as a 3C.

Calgary would lose about 1M of cap hit on that deal. Maybe the Hawks could retain 2.5M on Toews to help out Calgary more for a sweetner.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
No new C until Toews either retires or requests a trade.
I don't see Kaner as a C ... he has always been Lancelot to Toews' Arthur
A new King to be anointed would require a special leader to step up ... maybe Debrincat ... maybe Jones ( if he's staying )

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Cat is the next captain no doubt
Assuming a scenario where Kane is traded? I can’t see Kane not getting the C if he chooses to stay through this rebuild.

Also, I’d say Kane is more than deserving with how he’s carried himself for years now. He has definitely matured and grown since his younger days.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Let me get this straight

We trade Toews who is essentially a 3rd line C at this point for pure shit in Lucic and Monahan while retaining on Toews? WTF would Hawks do this?

Hawks are rebuilding there is no reason to not ride out final year of Toews contract slotting him in #3C role going forward
If he wants to leave, I think this would be the Hawks accommodating that. You’re not really getting anything back for him, it’s mostly about doing something nice for him if he’s miserable.

As long as it doesn’t handcuff the team or cost assets, I’m fine with it.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Assuming a scenario where Kane is traded? I can’t see Kane not getting the C if he chooses to stay through this rebuild.

Also, I’d say Kane is more than deserving with how he’s carried himself for years now. He has definitely matured and grown since his younger days.
Yeah if Kane stays, he's captain.

I mean he's free to differ captaincy to DeBrincat, but Kane gets offered the "C" before anyone. And honestly I hope he stays. Unlike Toews, he seems to be engaged and on board with what's going on.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If he wants to leave, I think this would be the Hawks accommodating that. You’re not really getting anything back for him, it’s mostly about doing something nice for him if he’s miserable.

As long as it doesn’t handcuff the team or cost assets, I’m fine with it.

If he wants to leave, he can retire

Hawks are under no obligation nor should they to take such a god-awful deal as that to move him. If Toews wants out his agent can seek finding a team willing to deal for him that is beneficial to Hawks

Or he can go on unconditional waivers and surrender his final year salary and become UFA

Again, taking on 11M+ of Flames trash while giving up a better player is not realistic deal for Hawks nor should it be

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If you are going to trade Toews you retain 50% to see if there are any takers. If there aren't you find a team to do double retention like we've been seeing the last few years. Then you watch teams line up to gets Toews at a 2.625 cap hit. None of this taking on salary nonsense just to facilitate a trade. After his bonus hes only due 2.9M in real money for next year as well. I think a team would pay a 2nd at the very least (to us) and a 4th (to the team helping retain) for Toews. HIs resume and ability at the dot would be welcomed by many teams at that cap number.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If you are going to trade Toews you retain 50% to see if there are any takers. If there aren't you find a team to do double retention like we've been seeing the last few years. Then you watch teams line up to gets Toews at a 2.625 cap hit. None of this taking on salary nonsense just to facilitate a trade. After his bonus hes only due 2.9M in real money for next year as well. I think a team would pay a 2nd at the very least (to us) and a 4th (to the team helping retain) for Toews. HIs resume and ability at the dot would be welcomed by many teams at that cap number.
That’s a trade deadline deal.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Chicago retains 39% on Toews, it pretty much matches Monahan's contract.

So if Toews really wants to leave, they can do a 1 for 1 swap and it won't affect either team's current cap situation.

It's pretty much an upgrade for Calgary, but Chicago gets the benefit of potentially rehabbing Monahan and flipping him at the deadline at 50% retention which should prove to be valuable.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad