Tribute Tobias Enstrom

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

tobias-enstrom-2018-6378.jpg

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Got scared from that Tribute tag and thought he died or something

Awesome player though, great offensively and then rock-solid defence when he aged out of the offence
Nice partner for Byfuglien

Excellent skater too. Could also defend the front of the net better then a lot of big guys because he would actually stick check them.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I'll mostly remember him for that goofy-long stick he used and how he was constantly having to change his grip

Still managed be a good passer/shooter

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
What are you guys memories of him? What did he bring to the ice?

View attachment 893783
Might be my favorite 2.0 defenseman of all time.

The essence of skill and smarts overcoming size. That guy would go into corners with dudes twice his size and come out with the puck.

Really good at everything, no weaknesses in his game. A real joy to watch.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Enstrom is a guy who taught me that evaluating defensemen is really difficult. If you look at the big events that happen around him, you'll see good passing, boxing out players along the boards, but also occasionally getting out-muscled and beat along the boards and in front of the net.

If you look at his stats and results though, it's clear that he was absolutely top-of-class 100% elite defensively. IMO that came from hockey IQ, awareness and positioning... his ability to always be predicting and countering what opponents were trying to do meant that there were just less opportunity for opponents with him on the ice. This impact is essentially invisible though (unless you're focusing on him in person and way better at evaluating D than I am heh).

In 2018 the guy carried Buff to best-in-league xga stats. Imagine having the top defensive pairing in the league, AND it has Dustin Byfuglien on it for offense; to me these two formed an absolutely insane pairing that was probably wildly underrated by most of us while it was here, certainly by me.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Enstrom is a guy who taught me that evaluating defensemen is really difficult. If you look at the big events that happen around him, you'll see good passing, boxing out players along the boards, but also occasionally getting out-muscled and beat along the boards and in front of the net.

If you look at his stats and results though, it's clear that he was absolutely top-of-class 100% elite defensively. IMO that came from hockey IQ, awareness and positioning... his ability to always be predicting and countering what opponents were trying to do meant that there were just less opportunity for opponents with him on the ice. This impact is essentially invisible though (unless you're focusing on him in person and way better at evaluating D than I am heh).

In 2018 the guy carried Buff to best-in-league xga stats. Imagine having the top defensive pairing in the league, AND it has Dustin Byfuglien on it for offense; to me these two formed an absolutely insane pairing that was probably wildly underrated by most of us while it was here, certainly by me.
The fact that he did what he did with pre-transformation Buff is really impressive.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

He's a reminder that 80% of the things you do on a shift are away from the puck. (and invisible to the casual viewer)

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I guess I'm in the minority here cause I was not a fan . He was a mosquito on an elephants ass when trying to win puck battles . That's the reason for the long stick although he did use it fairly well .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was always amazed at how he would choke up on his stick and make great passes like that. Very smart hockey player that's for sure, and a great skater.

Reactions: bustamente

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Why did he use such a long stick?
He was pretty small by NHL defenseman standards. It allowed him to get at and disrupt possession from players much larger than himself using his brain and his stick instead of trying to out-muscle opponents. He was a cerebral player and excellent at his craft. I played a men's league game many moons ago and broke my normal stick. It was the one game I didn't bring a spare so I borrowed one from another, much taller player. While my stickhandling went to sh!t I was able to reach around bigger guys quite easily to disrupt their play with the much longer stick.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I guess I'm in the minority here cause I was not a fan . He was a mosquito on an elephants ass when trying to win puck battles . That's the reason for the long stick although he did use it fairly well .

There are others that felt the same. He was just hammered in that Vegas series. In fairness to Toby that was the end of his playing days.

At times I felt his awkwardly long stick affected puck retrievals when being pressed heavy on the forecheck.

I grew to appreciated his game and what he brought to the team. Even bought an Enstrom game worn playoff jersey.

Reactions: ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There are others that felt the same. He was just hammered in that Vegas series. In fairness to Toby that was the end of his playing days.

At times I felt his awkwardly long stick affected puck retrievals when being pressed heavy on the forecheck.

I grew to appreciated his game and what he brought to the team. Even bought an Enstrom game worn playoff jersey.
Yeah unfortunately I think there's some recency bias with Toby.

He kind of fell off a cliff a bit in his last season, and I think injuries kind of caught up with him too.

For the vast majority of his time with the Jets he was an incredibly well rounded defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad