Tkachuk Spears Martin from the bench - Suspended 1 Game

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I don't exclusively "want to watch fighting". I want games with animosity and emotion. They've basically eliminated most of the physical aspects of the game apart from shoulder checks into the boards. Every game feels the exact same; there's no rivalry, no animosity, or emotion. Everyone can remember the Stars-Bruins game or the Bruins-Habs game or Detroit-Colorado, Buffalo-Ottawa, etc. Nobody remembers virtually any of the games in the new NHL because there's nothing to remember. It's dump and chase, shots from the point, no hitting, no fighting hockey. It's an absolute snoozefest.

The physicality is part of the reason why I fell in love with the game. It was a great feeling when someone like Tkachuk would rough up one of your guys and you couldn't wait to face them again. When Cam Janssen took out Kaberle, their rematch was like a playoff game. Now refs will send guys out for chirping just in case some animosity and emotion might come from it. It's a joke, and we need more Tkachuks, and more guys to respond to the Tkachuks.

So what you really miss are players concussing our defencemen and shitty staged fights a few weeks later? The payback for Janssen was a ninety second fight with Belak that didn't do anything but get useless plugs off of the ice for five minutes. Kaberle was never the same after that hit.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I'm not arguing against a suspension or fine. Bench-Ice interactions generally result in those. I'm arguing with the outraged "we really needa do something about this Tkachuk kid!!" Posters.

But notice how you remember the game in which that brawl happened? You're not going to remember any of these sweet 4-2 games in 14 years, like you remember that one 14 years later.

And do you remember how much opposing fans hated Tucker and called him a rat/cheapshot artist? It's not like a negative reaction to this type of behaviour is new.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Wonder if this falls into the minimum 10 game category because it was from the bench? Hasn't it been less then 10 games since his last suspension as well. Curious to see how this goes will they throw the book at him or slap him on the wrist again. Got to rein it in a bit kid can't keep making stupid decisions, just go out and play some hockey. It's not like you don't have any talent.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Wonder if this falls into the minimum 10 game category because it was from the bench? Hasn't it been less then 10 games since his last suspension as well. Curious to see how this goes will they throw the book at him or slap him on the wrist again. Got to rein it in a bit kid can't keep making stupid decisions, just go out and play some hockey. It's not like you don't have any talent.

I highly doubt it, I think it'll be looked at as similar to the Lightning/Rangers water bottle thing. He'll get a suspension though because he was just suspended for something similar. I'm guessing 2 games.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
So what you really miss are players concussing our defencemen and ****ty staged fights a few weeks later? The payback for Janssen was a ninety second fight with Belak that didn't do anything but get useless plugs off of the ice for five minutes. Kaberle was never the same after that hit.
That's such a false narrative amongst Leafs fans that he was never the same. The season with the hit, he had 58 points, including 9 points in 9 games after coming back from concussion. The season after, he had 53 points: his third highest point total of his career. The following season, he was on a 44 point pace, which was about his career average - and was 31 or 32 years old. The season after, he had 49 points, and the season after, he was on a 53 point pace. He heavily declined after that - like four or five seasons after the hit. Its just such a convenience for people to bring up that hit as a turning point.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
He meant to do a lot more than that, though.
nah man, he knows how to hold up, he doesn't cross the line.

..which is why he's about to be suspended for the 2nd time in a month......??

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
That's such a false narrative amongst Leafs fans that he was never the same. The season with the hit, he had 58 points, including 9 points in 9 games after coming back from concussion. The season after, he had 53 points: his third highest point total of his career. The following season, he was on a 44 point pace, which was about his career average - and was 31 or 32 years old. The season after, he had 49 points, and the season after, he was on a 53 point pace. He heavily declined after that - like four or five seasons after the hit. Its just such a convenience for people to bring up that hit as a turning point.

Even if we're just talking the time Kaberle missed from that concussion (8 games, by todays standards it would've been months) - you want to see that just so you can feel angry at Janssen and feel like justice has been "served" because he exchanged punches with an enforcer for 90 seconds a few weeks later? The fact that you look back at this fondly is mind blowing to me.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Imagine if a sophomore PK Subban behaved like this what the media would say with their inherent biases.

With Matthew all we are hearing is "i would love to have him on my team". Where are the Mike Richards calling him out that hes going to get hurt etc? Guess it works to be white and have a famous dad.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Love Chucky, but this is what you have to live with. I’ll take it, the guy has a positive game impact whenever he’s on the ice.

Now has drawn more penalties than McDavid over the past two seasons.

Which is laughable if you look at all the interference/hooking/holding McDavid has to put up with but that's for another thread.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Imagine if a sophomore PK Subban behaved like this what the media would say with their inherent biases.

With Matthew all we are hearing is "i would love to have him on my team". Where are the Mike Richards calling him out that hes going to get hurt etc? Guess it works to be white and have a famous dad.
??

why on earth would you go the race route with this?

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Even if we're just talking the time Kaberle missed from that concussion (8 games, by todays standards it would've been months) - you want to see that just so you can feel angry at Janssen and feel like justice has been "served" because he exchanged punches with an enforcer for 90 seconds a few weeks later? The fact that you look back at this fondly is mind blowing to me.

I look back at the fact that there was actual possibility for team retaliation as good. Not that a dirty hit happened. As if dirty hits don't happen today.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario

LMAO. HOT TAKE BOYS WE HAVE A HOT TAKE

Reactions: Free Beer

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
??

why on earth would you go the race route with this?

Do share what is the big difference in PK Subban and Tkatchuk? One guy cant even drop a clean body check when he came into the league or else it was apparently going to get him hurt.

All we hear with Tkatchuk is that "hes a great competitor, i would love to have him on my team, hes a good kid and just needs to cut some of the stuff out". Yeah and PK Subban was the dirtiest sophomore of all time if I went by the Canadian media.

Why is that? Race, thats why.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I get 'old tyme hockey' and all that but that really has no place in the NHL.

I mean, I'm good with it being called "OLD TYME ROUGH AND TOUGH," but people trumpeting that forget that the only reason people were ok with garbage like this back then is because pre-90s someone would have just yanked Tkachuk off the bench to feed him his lunch for being a bitch and the Flames would have let them.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Do share what is the big difference in PK Subban and Tkatchuk? One guy cant even drop a clean body check when he came into the league or else it was apparently going to get him hurt.

All we hear with Tkatchuk is that "hes a great competitor, i would love to have him on my team, hes a good kid and just needs to cut some of the stuff out". Yeah and PK Subban was the dirtiest sophomore of all time if I went by the Canadian media.

Why is that? Race, thats why.

who in the media said that about Subban?

Race? Jesus Christ take a walk. Looking pretty foolish right now.

Reactions: Milan90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad