TJ Brodie or Chris Tanev?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pick a dman

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Brodie is more well rounded but Tanev is just so good defensively and skates so well for a big man.

Just look at the immediate effect Tanev had on Quinn Hughes and now Kylington. He's making Kylington look like a poor man's Scott Niedermayer.

Reactions: CherryToke

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Chris Tanev might actually be the best pure shutdown defender in the NHL.
Wild that three years ago, Canucks fans were like "this guy is amazing" but his advanced stats were bad. So most of this forum and social media got on this idea that he was bad, and actually dragging Hughes down with him. Two years later he's had some of the most impressive advanced metrics in the NHL, and a guy who can be tasked to shutdown any player in the league.

Nah...
Just sick of him unable to stay healthy. He didn't have the history of a player one would give term and $ to.

He's missed a single game since he's been in Cgy. That's not like him at all.
Jackpot Cgy.

Woulda kept him if I thought that it was remotely possible... that he could run 99/100 games healthy...
Good on him.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Wild that three years ago, Canucks fans were like "this guy is amazing" but his advanced stats were bad. So most of this forum and social media got on this idea that he was bad, and actually dragging Hughes down with him. Two years later he's had some of the most impressive advanced metrics in the NHL, and a guy who can be tasked to shutdown any player in the league.

Imagine how dumb you'd have to be to not re-sign the guy

Jim-Benning-Canucks-1.jpg

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I don't know... Schmidt seemed like an exciting non-black hole, healthier upgrade at the time...

Not to me he didn't... It was obvious to me and many others that Tanev was a perfect fit for Hughes and the only shutdown dman on the team...

Reactions: FZ23

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018

Sutter must love him

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Nah...
Just sick of him unable to stay healthy. He didn't have the history of a player one would give term and $ to.

He's missed a single game since he's been in Cgy. That's not like him at all.
Jackpot Cgy.

Woulda kept him if I thought that it was remotely possible... that he could run 99/100 games healthy...
Good on him.

A lot of people did suggest that on a better possession team where he wasn’t in his own end blocking shots as much or getting hammered on the forecheck, he might be healthier. So he might not have even stayed as healthy in Van.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
2 very different style defensive d men. I love brodie but on our current team I think Tanev is more effective. Tanev has really helped Kylington grow his confidence and I'm not convinced Brodie could have the same way

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I don't know... Schmidt seemed like an exciting non-black hole, healthier upgrade at the time...
No it didn't. It was a ridiculous move to downgrade the player, take on a higher cap hit with worse term, give up a pick, for a guy that is a worse fit stylistically AND left handed. Made zero sense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think the correct answer here is both. Here in Toronto we finally got our hands on Brodie who makes a great pair with Rielly, but we still need Holl to substitute as a poor man's Tanev, and in Calgary, I gather they have Kylington and Hanifin taking over some of the more transition and puck management aspects Brodie would be more natural at.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think the correct answer here is both. Here in Toronto we finally got our hands on Brodie who makes a great pair with Rielly, but we still need Holl to substitute as a poor man's Tanev, and in Calgary, I gather they have Kylington and Hanifin taking over some of the more transition and puck management aspects Brodie would be more natural at.
Tanev is a great puck mover. Not necessarily a dynamic or creative puck mover, but he gets the puck up with ease.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Travis Green effect.

Partially Travis Green just being an astonishingly useless coach...but even then, i think it's more a testament to the unreliability of "advanced stats" in general. Even while his numbers were "bad" under Green, i think most Canucks fans actually watching the games were still pretty convinced that Tanev was a darn good defenceman, playing reasonably well.

It's one of those things where the numbers can swing wildly, in spite of no actual change in the level of play being present. That makes the "underlying numbers" unreliable.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Brodie seems to have refined his game to not play quite the amount of high event hockey, which is exactly what Toronto needed in a Morgan Rielly partner.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Friendly reminder our former GM gave Tanevs money to our Backup goalie in Holtby, who had to be bought out less than a year later.

Reactions: bh53

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
No it didn't. It was a ridiculous move to downgrade the player, take on a higher cap hit with worse term, give up a pick, for a guy that is a worse fit stylistically AND left handed. Made zero sense.

Agree to disagree... Tanev was a black hole with a powder puff shot that played only 75% of the season.
Staying status quo for a team that was sputtering so bad was a ridiculous notion... Especially for $$ and Term..

Turning him over was a good decision overall. No one expected him to all of a sudden become bionic and play 99/100..

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Agree to disagree... Tanev was a black hole with a powder puff shot that played only 75% of the season.
Staying status quo for a team that was sputtering so bad was a ridiculous notion... Especially for $$ and Term..

Turning him over was a good decision overall. No one expected him to all of a sudden become bionic and play 99/100..
Anyone who's followed the Nucks closely over the last 5 years should have easily predicted the re-emergence of Tanev. His contract is an absolute steal. None of this is a surprise.

He is also certainly not a black hole, well, on Defence he is for opposing forwards. He tilts the ice in favor, always has, always will. It's a crime he isn't still here.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Anyone who's followed the Nucks closely over the last 5 years should have easily predicted the re-emergence of Tanev. His contract is an absolute steal. None of this is a surprise.

He is also certainly not a black hole, well, on Defence he is for opposing forwards. He tilts the ice in favor, always has, always will. It's a crime he isn't still here.
Let's not revise history...
Our team was much better in our zone with Tanev in the lineup.
Black hole on the ozone.
Was injured a lot.
About to sign a contract into his 30's.. no one easily predicted anything. The threads are still there on the Canuck site to look back on.

Based on his history... Playing 100/101 games so far is shocking.. not something that was easily predicted.
That's all.. I'm not gonna shit on the guy anymore than that since I liked him.. But, I did not mind seeing him leave.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Tanev is better defensively but Brodie is more balanced and healthier. Brodie feels safer to me but both have their appeals.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver

Why were his advanced stats bad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad