TJ Brodie or Chris Tanev?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pick a dman

• Total voters

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Chris Tanev might actually be the best pure shutdown defender in the NHL.
Wild that three years ago, Canucks fans were like "this guy is amazing" but his advanced stats were bad. So most of this forum and social media got on this idea that he was bad, and actually dragging Hughes down with him. Two years later he's had some of the most impressive advanced metrics in the NHL, and a guy who can be tasked to shutdown any player in the league.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
If Tanev were as injury prone as reported by Canuck fans, Brodie > Tanev by a tiny bit.

But Tanev has been completely healthy since we acquired him so Tanev > Brodie by a tiny bit.

I miss Brodie, but Tanev has been an excellent fill in for our RD.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is a really tough one. Brodie is a lot more versatile, and Tanev's availability is always still a question...but when he's healthy, Tanev's impact on his partner is pretty undeniable. He doesn't contribute much of anything to the scoresheet, but he just makes people better. He's such a weird, new-school shutdown defenceman. He's one of the best "calming presence" partners in the entire league. Just so quietly effective.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Chris Tanev might actually be the best pure shutdown defender in the NHL.
Wild that three years ago, Canucks fans were like "this guy is amazing" but his advanced stats were bad. So most of this forum and social media got on this idea that he was bad, and actually dragging Hughes down with him. Two years later he's had some of the most impressive advanced metrics in the NHL, and a guy who can be tasked to shutdown any player in the league.
The Travis Green effect.

Reactions: biturbo19 and bh53

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Having seen both, it's close. I think Brodie is slightly more erratic in his play where he can be worse than Tanev, but I think he also has moments of brilliance that are better than Tanev.

For THIS Flames team the answer is Tanev, but prime Brodie paired with prime Giordano was a thing of beauty that I don't think Tanev could replicate.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I think I am going to differ to Cgy fans on this 1. If they say its close then its close. They have seen both a ton. Personally I really like Brodie, guy is smooth as silk and generally error free, as a long time Leafs fan those are 2 qualities our D was lacking for a long time.
So I guess if its close, I go with the 1 I know better.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Its kinda funny cuz I spent yrs harassing Vancouver fans with bad proposals for Tanev, and along comes Brodie, and he ended being the Tanev we didn't know we had lol

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brodie still quite handidly. I will never expect Tanev to be our top performer in the playoffs but Brodie could always be that guy on both ends of the rink.

Tanev is what Hamonic was supposed to be but Brodie is still that guy that helped propel Giordano to what should have been 2 Norrises.

If we had both, we'd have the best right side depth in the league

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Flames fans can probably answer this best. Honestly haven't seen enough of Tanev but I liked him in Vancouver, was hoping to land him here to pair him with Rielly.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Brodie was my favorite player for years, I have two Jersey's, both say Brodie. In a vacuum, I'd say they are a wash even though they are completely different.

For this Calgary team, you take Tanev 100% of the time. We have a bunch of excellent puck moving defenders. You need the grit and just fantastic defense at times.

That's the whole reason we swapped them, the coach didn't trust Brodie to protect a lead in the playoffs in the dying minutes. While Tanev is a someone you wish you could duplicate in that scenario.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Love Brodie, he's been badly underrated for years and it wasn't all due to playing with Gio, they complemented each other. I still remember when Gio went down for the playoffs, Russell and Wideman had to take over top pair duties, Brodie carried Engelland on the second pairing very well. I'm not trying to slag Engelland but he wasn't a 3/4 dman.

That being said Tanev has been fantastic for us, so much better than I expected.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
If Tanev were as injury prone as reported by Canuck fans, Brodie > Tanev by a tiny bit.

But Tanev has been completely healthy since we acquired him so Tanev > Brodie by a tiny bit.

Yeah why would we report that if he wasn’t missing games with us? That’s great he’s been healthy with the flames but yeah he couldn’t be relied on to play 82 as a Canuck

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tanev and it's not close. Brodie looks nice but he lacks both mental and physical toughness compared to Tanev

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

He played through fractured ribs and torn pecs last season for about 6-8 weeks I think

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player as consistently solid defensively as Tanev. He plays like a robot who was programmed to always make the smartest, most efficient play. He’s obviously not as dynamic as Brodie was with the puck, but he never makes a mistake moving it up the ice.

Reactions: kanucks25

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Both are solid, this is a poll where both guys deserve votes and I couldn't argue one way or another. Tanev doesn't seem to make the big mistakes Brodie would occasionally make, but there were times where I'd argue Brodie should be a in the Norris conversation. Tanev doesn't have the same high end impact overall, but he is solid defensively.

Both are studs though. Sucks the Flames couldn't keep re-sign Brodie and also sign Tanev.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Brodie isn't producing like you'd hope he would. He can move the puck. He has the skill. Tanev being on a similar pace but is way closer to the way he has always produced.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah why would we report that if he wasn’t missing games with us? That’s great he’s been healthy with the flames but yeah he couldn’t be relied on to play 82 as a Canuck

Sorry, I meant if Tanev was missing games/playing hurt on the Flames at the same rate as on the Canucks. I wasn't trying to say anything negative about the Canucks. I just meant that the expectation initially from both fan bases for injuries has not come to fruition which has been awesome.

What was seemingly stated the most when the Flames nabbed him. Tanev, great player, but always injured. Fair contract we gave him for the amount he plays (75% of the season). At that time it was fair to say both were on par with each other for their performances on the ice.

Tanev has barely missed any games and doesn't really seem to have to play hurt. I think that has helped to elevate his game. It's awesome and because he has played nearly the full season each time, I consider him above Brodie who has continued to be playing at the same rate (a good rate).

He played through fractured ribs and torn pecs last season for about 6-8 weeks I think

He did? Well... Damn.

I guess he just doesn't have to play through injuries as much when on the Flames or we are playing him in some way where he doesn't get injured as easily?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad