Confirmed with Link: TJ Brodie - 2 x 3.75M

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
i honestly don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

i wasn't intending to ascribe anything to you. i was using an aside to air one of my bug bears because it is adjacent to the conversation, and bolsters my point.

if that's the complaint, it sounds like a pretty good problem to have. to the point that it doesn't even really sound like a complaint.

again, i don't really see much of a problem. let them play in the ahl until they can show unequivocally that they deserve to play over a 35 year old brodie or a 36 year old martinez.
Korchinski couldn't play in the AHL. Vlasic could. Korchinski would have played in the NHL over Vlasic.

My issue is that you can play really well in the AHL but it doesn't prove you can play in the NHL because lots of AAAA guys can do the former. You can't prove you're a better NHL option if you're not playing in the NHL. And even then our coach will play veterans like Tinordi over you. I want to give two spots instead of one for guys to prove they can play at this level.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Korchinski couldn't play in the AHL. Vlasic could. Korchinski would have played in the NHL over Vlasic.
counter factuals are frustrating because they are exactly that, contra the facts of the matter. i think if korch could have played in the ahl last year that’s where he would have started. you seem to disagree. neither of us can really substantiate what might have been, so very little reason in litigating fantasies.

My issue is that you can play really well in the AHL but it doesn't prove you can play in the NHL because lots of AAAA guys can do the former.
you gotta start somewhere, and i don’t see how you prove you can play at the nhl level any better being gifted a spot on a bottom feeder team and getting absolutely creamed pike korch did this past year.

there’s a spot for a prospect like you said, and there will be another spot when murphy inevitably explodes in one way or another. patience is a virtue, particularly with prospective defenders in my view.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
counter factuals are frustrating because they are exactly that, contra the facts of the matter. i think if korch could have played in the ahl last year that’s where he would have started. you seem to disagree. neither of us can really substantiate what might have been, so very little reason in litigating fantasies.

you gotta start somewhere, and i don’t see how you prove you can play at the nhl level any better being gifted a spot on a bottom feeder team and getting absolutely creamed pike korch did this past year.

there’s a spot for a prospect like you said, and there will be another spot when murphy inevitably explodes in one way or another. patience is a virtue, particularly with prospective defenders in my view.
Korchinski should have started in the AHL but he couldn't. He was given a NHL roster spot. This year we've got Allen, KK, EDM, Phillips, Crevier, and Kaiser competing for one spot when all are close. On paper that's great. In reality if two or three prove in camp and preseason they should be on the roster it doesn't matter because we have one open spot to play every day and a spot to sit in the press box.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
In a perfect world, he would have gone to the AHL, but not an option. In a slightly less perfect world, he would have played less minutes if the Hawks had 4 competent D to enable that. Korchinski was over-used and over-exposed. He'll get better .....what doesn't kill you, helps you.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Korchinski should have started in the AHL but he couldn't. He was given a NHL roster spot. This year we've got Allen, KK, EDM, Phillips, Crevier, and Kaiser competing for one spot when all are close. On paper that's great. In reality if two or three prove in camp and preseason they should be on the roster it doesn't matter because we have one open spot to play every day and a spot to sit in the press box.
first, this is only a problem if you assume that one of those prospects is about to take a step comparable to the one vlasic took. not impossible, but i would wager rather improbable. that kind of coming out of nowhere doesn’t necessarily happen every year. second, to reiterate, this is only a problem if you assume the d core stays healthy all year. otherwise, there will be plenty of opportunities for the kids to come up and prove that they are truly indispensable. that gives you a piece to flip at the deadline. i will say again: these seem like good problems to have.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
first, this is only a problem if you assume that one of those prospects is about to take a step comparable to the one vlasic took. not impossible, but i would wager rather improbable. that kind of coming out of nowhere doesn’t necessarily happen every year. second, to reiterate, this is only a problem if you assume the d core stays healthy all year. otherwise, there will be plenty of opportunities for the kids to come up and prove that they are truly indispensable. that gives you a piece to flip at the deadline. i will say again: these seem like good problems to have.
Injuries happen and agreed its improbable but if they don't for eight weeks we're playing a bunch of thirty year olds in a season we're finishing fifth last?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
Injuries happen and agreed its improbable but if they don't for eight weeks we're playing a bunch of thirty year olds in a season we're finishing fifth last?
then the young guys get more experience in the A, you get a solid lottery pick, martinez comes off the books next year so you have two spots open, and you look forward to a future where you aren’t bargain bin hunting for any warm body that can half ass play nhl defense.

nothing about the rebuild is going to be ideal, whatever ideal means to whoever. my approach is sit back and wait to care until there are meaningful games to be played.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Jfresh ran Brodie card and his 3 year weighted AVG for WAR went from 70% 3 years ago, 100% 2 years ago and 25% last year. so there is a chance of some regression back to a serviceable player. I did not know he was that good a year before. his father passed away early SEPT of cancer so that probably had alot to do with his off season training and mental state.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
He averaged close to 22 minutes last year, 2nd on the a leafs.

He us far from toast.

Especially if they manage his minutes better.

The team healthy scratched him near the end of the season and wasn't comfortable playing him in the playoffs.

He was a liability against Boston.

He's toast.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The team healthy scratched him near the end of the season and wasn't comfortable playing him in the playoffs.

He was a liability against Boston.

He's toast.
He was asked to constantly do too much for Toronto defensively and still dealing all year mentally struggling.

"I'd just like to him to clear his head," Keefe said of Brodie. "He's had a tough go here right from the beginning of training camp all the way through. And because of the demands that we put on him, he hasn't really had time to breathe and regroup and find himself. And I think that's kind of where we're at.

He may be 3rd RD here, not expected to carry a team and further out from his father's passing. It's far too silly to say toast when he can be given a minor role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad