GDT: Free Agent Frenzy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Going with 7D for the entire season would be truly insane and at that point we've lost the plot.

Our winning percentage with 11+7 roster was better than 12+6 at last season.

They should experiment that again, and double-shift Seider like mad.

Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Määttä - Seider
Gustafsson - Holl

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
That defense is still brutal with only one real top 4 D, and 2 potential with Ed and Johansson but that's not a guarantee. Seeing Chiarot anywhere near Seider makes me shiver. Maybe they believe Ed and Jo will both end up being top 4 Ds after a few games? That's certainly possible.
Al-Jo and Ed I think played together quite a bit in GR with Al-Jo on the off hand side, but it would take an incredible leap of faith by Newsy to have them as a second pair, at least early in the season.

I could see Al-Jo sliding up with Mo by Christmas, at least against some teams, and maybe not every game, unless Horcoff is right and don't sleep on him, in which case, they could be a pair out of camp.

If he does work out, it goes a long way to help things along, but they still need a 2nd pair RHD to play with Ed. We'll see how other teams rosters shake out, there could still be a few hockey trades or cap causalities to be made.

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Vladimir Tarasenko – (C) Dylan Larkin – Lucas Raymond
Alex DeBrincat – J.T. Compher – Patrick Kane
Michael Rasmussen – (A) Andrew Copp – Jonatan Berggren
Christian Fischer
Joe Veleno Carter Mazur

* Tyler Motte

Erik Gustafsson
Mortiz Seider
(A) Ben Chiarot – Jeff Petry
Simon Edvinsson – Albert Johansson

* Ollie Maata
* Justin Holl

Cam Talbot
Alex Lyon
Villie Husso *LTIR.

* Does this make sense for the roster? Idk if Tarasenko will get top minutes but this is what the roster seems to be shaping out as right now after signing our own RFA's. Big arguments for Johansson's ice time and Mazur. There looks to be a bunch of time still to figure something out with Husso/Maata/Holl and even add another talent once they're moved those guys or just one or whatever

That's similar to how I see it shaping up but edvinsson will be 2nd pair

We still need a #2 center. With another proper center our defense is fine I think.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think Danielson might snag a spot in the lineup. He wasn't far off last preseason, and if it wasn't for the depth we had, I think he would have gotten a look. He would have a lot of support between Kane and Cat.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I think Danielson might snag a spot in the lineup. He wasn't far off last preseason, and if it wasn't for the depth we had, I think he would have gotten a look. He would have a lot of support between Kane and Cat.
Que? If Kane and DBC are together, Larkin is the only guy we have that can do the heavy lifting to support them. Those are not wingers that help their center a lot.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tarasenko isn’t bad defensively.

He kind of is, but not as bad as Fabbri and Sprong.

More of what DeBrincat is.

1720131195906.png

1720131254951.png

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
SEA - Adam Larsson m-NTC

This one does interest me as potential fit?

SEA is in a weird transition - 18/23 contracts in; 11M in cap, but they need to sign Berniers and Tolvanen (which would take most of that 11M); say that's it 10M in total.

20/23 contracts at 1M in cap space. They just signed Brandon Montour to play 1st pair RD with Dunn, pushing Adam Larsson down to 2nd pair - with...Oleksiak? And you have Williiam Brogen at 3rd pair RD, and I'm assuming their top ready prospect Evans is called up to to play LD.

Larsson has 1yr left at 4M, will look for a raise, which they might not be a position to give, and he was already a trade rumor earlier in the season and at the deadline. He might not be in their long term plans after the Montour signing, and Olelsiak still has 2yrs left on his deal and doesn't need a decision made. Other candidates to try to run off some cap would be Tanev or Gourde in their forwards but those are both pretty expensive (maybe with retention?)

Larsson is Swedish, RHD, 31yo veteran, strong, steady and big two-way with strong physical defensive game and he as 1 more year at a very attractive 4M, and is an "A" on their team. He feels like if you wanted to draw up the near perfect 2nd pair RD for Ed, Larsson would be it. I just never really thought about him or this situation till I saw this list...

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I don't understand wasting the roster spot on Christian Fischer when we have 2, possibly 3 forward prospects ready for icetime. These aren't Buffalo Sabres rookies. Red Wings prospects understand defensive assignments.

Kasper and Mazur can be in Fischer's and Veleno can slide to wing if needed.

DBC - Larkin - Raymond
Tank - Compher - Kane (I believe Tarasanko and Kane played together a bit in NYR)
Berggren - Kasper - Mazur
Rasmussen - Copp - Veleno

Johansson/Maatta - Seider
Edvinsson - Gustafsson
Chiarot - Petry (play them no more than 18 minutes a night)
Maatta/Johansson

Waive Motte, Holl and Husso.

SEA is in a weird transition - 18/23 contracts in; 11M in cap, but they need to sign Berniers and Tolvanen (which would take most of that 11M); say that's it 10M in total.

20/23 contracts at 1M in cap space. They just signed Brandon Montour to play 1st pair RD with Dunn, pushing Adam Larsson down to 2nd pair - with...Oleksiak? And you have Williiam Brogen at 3rd pair RD, and I'm assuming their top ready prospect Evans is called up to to play LD.

Larsson has 1yr left at 4M, will look for a raise, which they might not be a position to give, and he was already a trade rumor earlier in the season and at the deadline. He might not be in their long term plans after the Montour signing, and Olelsiak still has 2yrs left on his deal and doesn't need a decision made. Other candidates to try to run off some cap would be Tanev or Gourde in their forwards but those are both pretty expensive (maybe with retention?)

Larsson is Swedish, RHD, 31yo veteran, strong, steady and big two-way with strong physical defensive game and he as 1 more year at a very attractive 4M, and is an "A" on their team. He feels like if you wanted to draw up the near perfect 2nd pair RD for Ed, Larsson would be it. I just never really thought about him or this situation till I saw this list...

Larsson will cost a 1st and Detroit is going to suck this year. If Seattle would take Detroit's 2026 1st? I'm OK with that.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, I see him really as the best fit to our core.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Seattle signs Tolvanen to 2x3.475 which leaves 8.156M to sign Beniers...

How about trade us Larsson and bring up Evans. Everybody wins :D

Right, I think it's actually worse than that for them:

They have 7.2M in cap with Evan already taking their 6th D spot (@900k);

Basically comps him at Norris, Suzuki, Stuzle, etc. - all of it is going over 8M a year. Which is...north of their cap and they are still at 21/23 roster spots filled and 50/50 contracts in the org;

All of this points to the fact that have to flat out send someone out and the most likely candidates are either going to be very hard to move (Gourde, Tanev, Schwartz) due to ability and/or cost

The only real piece they have that makes sense and they will get return and relief from would be Larsson - who was already rumored to be on the move at the TDL; and who doesn't have an extension in place, and was kind of made less significant after they signed Montour...

He's a guy who they could trade, net back picks, and use the 4M to sign three 1M dollars depth guys to round out their roster for the year and get back to 23/23.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Right, I think it's actually worse than that for them:

They have 7.2M in cap with Evan already taking their 6th D spot (@900k);

Basically comps him at Norris, Suzuki, Stuzle, etc. - all of it is going over 8M a year. Which is...north of their cap and they are still at 21/23 roster spots filled and 50/50 contracts in the org;

All of this points to the fact that have to flat out send someone out and the most likely candidates are either going to be very hard to move (Gourde, Tanev, Schwartz) due to ability and/or cost

The only real piece they have that makes sense and they will get return and relief from would be Larsson - who was already rumored to be on the move at the TDL; and who doesn't have an extension in place, and was kind of made less significant after they signed Montour...

He's a guy who they could trade, net back picks, and use the 4M to sign three 1M dollars depth guys to round out their roster for the year and get back to 23/23.
What do you think the cost on him would be?

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Larsson isn't going to cost a first-round pick, not with just one year left. For Tanev, Calgary got a second-round pick (62nd OA) and a second-round D prospect who put up 17 points in his last OHL season and six points in his AHL rookie season. Wings could easily offer more than that for Larsson if Seattle can't afford to take any money back, ie a higher second-round pick plus a better D prospect. Maatta and Veleno are expendable if Seattle can take back a little salary. Plenty of ways to make a trade work for Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad