Tinordi hit was clean and there was no elbow there

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
There is no elbow, but still, the head is the primary zone of contact, so it is a shot to the head. I'm not saying Tinordi is guilty of a dirty hit, as I think the game speed and Schmidt's position makes it almost impossible for him to avoid hitting the head.

That said, it will be very interesting to see how the league will deal with it as it will start the year for Quintal and co, and everything will be compare to that hit from now on.

We'll see how they're serious in wanting to cut the hits to the head. Because like it or not, they could very well decide that players must consider the vurnerability of the ones they want to hit and do everything to avoid hitting the head, no matter if it's with the elbow. If this is the path they're choosing, Tinordi is guilty.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Didn't watch the game , but heard about the hit and I'm kind of stumped as to how he got a game misconduct. He even crouched a bit coming in.
Awesome hit and it's so nice to have a player of that caliber on the team this year.

Well, given Tinordi's caliber until now, he won't be on the team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It'll be interesting to see how the NHL handles it, though... the idea of even "clean" hits that cause injury to vulnerable players, even if the player made himself vulnerable, is something that seems to be coming in hockey in general, and has been present in junior levels, for example. It will be good to see what precedent the establish.

But past that, nice to see Tinordi playing like that. Hopefully he is not deterred, whatever the outcome.

Very hard to prove vulnerability in this case.
My understanding of the rule is one intent can be punished and two intent on a defenseless can be punished with the latter being far more severe.

I see zero intent to injure. We've already discussed the other factors with regards to legality.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In the first period Oprik hit Bourinval with a very similar check just inside the Caps' blueline. The thing is Oprik & Bournival are roughly the same size so Oprik hit Bournival squarely in the chest.

Tinordi & Schmidt are not the same size. So what do you do? Tell tall players you can't hit anymore? Especially when the "victim" has been skating for half the rink with his head down and his eyes glued to the puck. You can also see that Tinordi was crouched real low. What does the league want for Tijnordi to do? Play on his knees or let the player skate past him?

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Hit was head first and by the rule it is the right call regardless if it was not an elbow. We ***** and moan about it when it happens to our players so we need to accept it when the axe falls on our players.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Hit was head first and by the rule it is the right call regardless if it was not an elbow. We ***** and moan about it when it happens to our players so we need to accept it when the axe falls on our players.

I'm willing to admit when a Habs is at fault in various regards... But the only one to blame here is Schmidt for having his head low. Doesn't help that Tinordi is 7 inches taller than him. Jared controlled everything he could have controlled perfectly.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
tumblr_ncjbv3y3Ut1tctm09o1_400.gif

CCEBnZU.gif

His hit turned the tide of the game vs Colorado and the tempo picked up vs WSH.

I would like to see him get a game with Subban.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. I mean, Schmidt had Tinordi in his field of vision for a loooong time there. He basically skated head down into him.

Of course Tinner is a big guy and the hit's gonna do some damage, but you can't expect him to do anything more than what he did there. He kept his elbow in, didn't propel himself into the hit etc.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Saintpatrick*

:confused:

Habs’ Tinordi levels Schmidt with elbow to head

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/habs-tinordi-levels-schmidt-with-elbow-to-head/

Where's this so called "elbow to head" the Sportsnet people see because I don't see one on that play. Pretty obvious they never saw the hit to call that a high elbow at the head of Nate Schmidt.
Sportsnet is a joke. Tinordi's elbow never came in contact with Schmidt's head. He tucked his elbow in and it was a clean hit with his shoulder

...what do you expect from Laffs TV, oops I mean unbiased Sportnet?? :)biglaugh:)...the truth??...:laugh:

Yep pretty much this^

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Clean hit, wrong call.

Tinordi got a game misconduct because the call was elbow to the head.

What we have here is a case of a player failing to protect himself. No late/blindsided hit, no attempt to injure (elbow).
The point of contact is the head, but it's not Tinordi's fault. It's Schmidt skating head first into Tinordi's shoulder (Tinordi is not even skating toward Schmidt when the hit happen).

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Maybe the angle there wasn´t clear enough for the referee but Tinordi hit was clean, Tinordi is big and you can see clearly that the player was bent in the play and never looked where he was going. Sorry to say Schmidt but you have indeed hit a wall.

It was in a game that didn't count in the standings. I'm not upset.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Clean hit, wrong call.

Tinordi got a game misconduct because the call was elbow to the head.

What we have here is a case of a player failing to protect himself. No late/blindsided hit, no attempt to injure (elbow).
The point of contact is the head, but it's not Tinordi's fault. It's Schmidt skating head first into Tinordi's shoulder (Tinordi is not even skating toward Schmidt when the hit happen).

Sadly by the rule it is a headshot still I wasn't aware they called it an elbow to the head that is just plain a terrible call as it was his shoulder not the elbow. The point is it was still a hit to the head and regardless how much I hate these calls it is the rule.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Sportsnet called it a "high" elbow at that..LOL. I seen a shoulder to the head. He didn't come in charging full speed looking for a head shot. Tinordi just casually skated over. No elbows anywhere to be found.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't know if the back ref called it, but the front ref started pointing after the player went down. Again, I don't know what that pointing meant, but this is where the NHL is going. When there is a hit, and a player goes down like a ton of bricks with head impact, there is going to be a call.

To me, it looked the near official had no problem with the hit until he saw the player not getting up.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Sadly by the rule it is a headshot still I wasn't aware they called it an elbow to the head that is just plain a terrible call as it was his shoulder not the elbow. The point is it was still a hit to the head and regardless how much I hate these calls it is the rule.

The rules were applied correctly for... the wrong call.

Whats interest us here is Rule 45 and 48, elbowing and illegal check to the head.

Rule 45:
45.1 Elbowing - Elbowing shall mean the use of an extended elbow in a manner that may or may not cause injury.

45.3 Major Penalty - A major penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent. A major penalty must be imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent (see 45.5).

45.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct penalty shall also be imposed.

Rule 48
48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.

(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

CCEBnZU.gif

48.2 Minor Penalty – For violation of this rule, a minor penalty shall be or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

48.3 Major Penalty – There is no provision for a major penalty for this rule.

48.4 Game Misconduct Penalty – There is no provision for a game misconduct for this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

The Call:
01:55 MTL Jarred Tinordi served by Jiri Sekac Elbowing (maj) - 5 min against Nate Schmidt
01:55 MTL Jarred Tinordi Fighting (maj) - 5 min against Chris Brown
01:55 MTL Jarred Tinordi Game misconduct - 10 min

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Tinordi & Beaulieu should make the team, otherwise the Bouillon option becomes our fate, no thank you please.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad