Tribute Timothy Liljegren part 2

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Seems like the type of player that would struggle under a coach like Berube.

When the coach talks about battles, and compete, and outworking the opposition, I just don't see a Liljegren excelling under that pressure.

While Dmen rarely ever grow linearly in the NHL, the promising ones still show signs of that potential. Liljegren just turned 25 - we really should have seen more of that upside by now.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

When the coach talks about battles, and compete, and outworking the opposition, I just don't see a Liljegren excelling under that pressure.

While Dmen rarely ever grow linearly in the NHL, the promising ones still show signs of that potential. Liljegren just turned 25 - we really should have seen more of that upside by now.

Disagree. Quite often 25-30 are where they find it or shine the most. Really good D can often be still kinda crummy at 23/24

Reactions: egd27 and arso40

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

He struggled under Keefe too. He’s just not a top 4 guy… At least at this point in his career. Berube isn’t Lilly’s only issue

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
His shot is probably better than Rielly, who has a poor shot.

He is by far worse defender than Rielly. Rielly has gone head to head against other teams top lines for years with proven success. Liljegren shits the bed, as soon as he's played against top 6 competition

If you think otherwise, your out of your mind, and there is nothing we can agree on.
Well ill just kindly say we don't agree

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s fine to say he’s only 25, but he played his best hockey when he was 23.

Lil is nothing to lose sleep over, I just don’t trust him back there and he’s done nothing the past two seasons to instil confidence he will put it together. One other thing, he’s mentally weak and gets down on himself. He looks like a 6 on a bad D, there is nothing to suggest top 4 and keeping it real if he was a left handed D, he wasn’t in the lineup.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It’s fine to say he’s only 25, but he played his best hockey when he was 23.

Lil is nothing to lose sleep over, I just don’t trust him back there and he’s done nothing the past two seasons to instil confidence he will put it together. One other thing, he’s mentally weak and gets down on himself. He looks like a 6 on a bad D, there is nothing to suggest top 4 and keeping it real if he was a left handed D, he wasn’t in the lineup.
Agreed, although he has shown flashes of being a legitimate 2 way top 4 defenceman, most recently when Rielly was injured.

I wouldn't overpay to keep him, but I am still hesitant to give up on him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Agreed, although he has shown flashes of being a legitimate 2 way top 4 defenceman, most recently when Rielly was injured.

I wouldn't overpay to keep him, but I am still hesitant to give up on him.
He played great that stint, but then fell off again, which is maddening. He’s cheap so, given our cap issues, perhaps they do keep him around. But, for me, I’ll be more surprised if he puts it together, his game just doesn’t seem to translate in tight hockey.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Reminds me of Travis Dermott at this point. There was plenty of potential there and lots of us held out hope, but sometimes the guy just doesn't have it. Part of this is that our org has been completely unable to develop defencemen over the last decade, which while not Lilly's fault, doesn't mean we need to keep giving him minutes.

He, like Robertson, is cheap enough and has that glimmer of upside that he's worth keeping around in hopes that he puts it together. But the player might want a change of scenery and we might have a better project to put effort and minutes into.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Reminds me of Travis Dermott at this point. There was plenty of potential there and lots of us held out hope, but sometimes the guy just doesn't have it. Part of this is that our org has been completely unable to develop defencemen over the last decade, which while not Lilly's fault, doesn't mean we need to keep giving him minutes.

He, like Robertson, is cheap enough and has that glimmer of upside that he's worth keeping around in hopes that he puts it together. But the player might want a change of scenery and we might have a better project to put effort and minutes into.

I think he’s better than Dermott - produces more and has better size, taller and heavier, no way he’s 190 he looks more like 200-205, maybe he’s 190 at game 82.

The difference is with Liljegren he seems to have the tools but it isn’t really there between the ears.

And, he’s what, one of two or the only RHD we have? If he is what he is (a low-middle end #4 who struggles with consistency) it’s a letdown. I think he has a little room but the dream of a partner for Rielly is probably not happening.

But still - because of that right shot I don’t want to see him gone for nothing and would throw in Robertson - who also took strides this year - ahead of him in a trade as a sweetener.

Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All I know is that i sincerely hope they've made changes to the player development personnel, cause this organization hasn't been able to develop a D to save their lives. Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin - all duds.
I wish they had drafted and developed Braden Schneider. He’s playing in the big games and looks OK.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All I know is that i sincerely hope they've made changes to the player development personnel, cause this organization hasn't been able to develop a D to save their lives. Dermott, Liljegren, Sandin - all duds.

Duds with high potential. Our Ds and Gs almost always turn out duds. How is it even possible? Some teams are producing sought after D regularly. Or tenders and we can only do wingers. How many Cs have we developed and lets not include AM. Clearly major issues

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Dermott never looked Good in top 4 stints at all he was always in over his head

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I like Lily a lot. That being said trade him. He has value. RHD, young. Don't trade him to New Jersey.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If they run it back with Lil in top 4 I'm going to be depressed.
If they run it back, many fans will lose interest. If the suits at MLSEL do not realize this, they are worse at their jobs that we think and they are bad. 1 playoff series win in 10 seasons and Shanny is still working from NYC.

Reactions: TMLife17

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There was so much hype with this prospects at that time to go along with our young core. Goes to show you that we sometimes over value how good we think our prospects can be.

The organization has to be honest to itself. They just have a bunch of managers showing profits going up. They don't address the team and needs a reality check.

Open to any MLSE employee. Just read this and tell your boss exactly this. Solve most of our problems.

We don't develop at D C or G well enough and It's hurting the teams future.

We bring on old players for too long and for too much money. The old guys should want to come here to support us for 1m x 1yr or so.

We trade high prospects and picks even though the team has no realistic chance. You're smoking your own product and believing your marketing dept. Stop that crap, its dumb.

Own rental is a term I first heard out of Toronto media. Its the most ass backwards philosophy. Stop it. Build on what you can keep here and save that for when we are a conference final team.

President is a defacto long term GM with multiple lives. You need to dump it and let the GM be the GM ffs.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I keep hearing how Liljegren is an awesome third pairing defenseman so long as he has the right partner.

If that means a guy who can't hit, cant take a hit, can't score, can't stop the other team from scoring, and gives the puck away all the time then I guess he is.

When you find yourself rationalizing keeping a chump like Liljegren around those are the kinds of excuses you make. Lol... all Liljegren needs is the right partner. Because he’s always the wrong partner for everyone.

Anyone who was expecting Giordano to make Liljegren look good for long are the same people who thought Dre could make Eminem look cool for more than a few years.

They were pretty awesome for a while. Nice resurgence to the old man's career. Went downhill pretty quick again after the initial success though.

That's what happens when the umbilical cord gets cut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad