Tribute Timothy Liljegren part 2

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I don't want to give up on him yet. I still think there is some untapped potential there, plus I don't think we'd get much for him at this point.

He definitely needs to improve, especially with physicality and reaction time while under pressure. I would like to see him signed around $1.4 million. He is fine as a bottom pair D in the regular season. If he doesn't show improvement by the trade deadline, move him for whatever asset we can get back.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The problem with Lilly is that he does nothing exceptionally that would lead you to want to keep him long term. He isn't an offense first guy...he isn't a defense first guy...he is basically Connor Timmins with more kicks at the can in this organization. There is no bright spot to say that he can bring the other side of his game around. To quote our dearly beloved Keefe when he talked to Jimmy Vesey in the Amazon Prime fiasco: "You're just kind of vanilla"
His feet are too slow. I didn’t see him in the AHL, but that was the scouting report when he was with the Marlies and it was accurate.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I'd go 1.5mil for him.

Problem with him is, he has very little to provide either offensively or defensively.

Has a sub par shot, shies away from contact, terrible under pressure, low vision, mediocre skating. On top of that he has a huge gaffe leading to a goal almost every game. Essentially plays like Gardiner minus the offense and skating.

Really can't point to a strong point in his game.

Yes I know he had around 10 good games this season. It's just not enough to earn more than bottom pairing D

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I get the “he’s still young” argument, but the stone cold fact is he played his best hockey for us two seasons ago, he’s plateaued, sometimes regressed since. What we need to compute-and was the known issue in the AHL- his low hockey IQ. He doesn’t process the game fast enough, he’s fine with time, but under any forecheck, he just makes low quality plays, as Bourne said his whole defensive strategy is to move the puck to someone else’s problem. Without some poise, you’re lost and his lack thereof was frankly alarming. Sure, against shit teams he can skate up ice, make a decent pass, look okay on a PP. But, that’s just part of the story, when it gets tighter, he views a board win as a draw, he can’t move anyone, can’t clear the net and most concerning, can’t move a puck to save his life. Maybe he puts it together, but maybe there’s a reason he took so long in the AHL, the Kings didn’t want him and he’s never panned out to what his supporters saw. All I know, he couldn’t crack the playoff roster last year and proved he didn’t deserve it this year. If he wasn’t a RD, the experiment probably already ended. He’s the same age as Benoit too.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Young D don't have linear paths to success in pro hockey .. he has shown me great progression over da years .. yes he looked bad in past 2 playoffs which is very concerning .. D is hardest position to learn in hockey .. I would give him a 1 year contract and tell him look this is da last chance here .. if he can't handle a 3rd pair role this year then trade him TDL or just walk away next summer .. but this is a tough call for sure

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Say what you want, but at least Sandin excels at one aspect of the game. We kept the wrong guy, Lil is meh at everything.
Sandin was dog trash. You think he would've signed for anything less than the 5x4.6 he signed for in Washington? If we paid him that much not a single person would be in his corner. That's a tank commander contract. Get through the OV beating 99's record and live out your days contract. He isn't there to do anything except collect his pay cheque and help Washington get some decent draft picks in OV's dying days.

Reactions: Ciao

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Hard to regret a couple of million, he's only being paid as a bottom pair which would be fair value
Yeah until you see the difference confidence makes then he looks like our best dman and you gotta pay him more accordingly

I'd go 1.5mil for him.

Problem with him is, he has very little to provide either offensively or defensively.

Has a sub par shot, shies away from contact, terrible under pressure, low vision, mediocre skating. On top of that he has a huge gaffe leading to a goal almost every game. Essentially plays like Gardiner minus the offense and skating.

Really can't point to a strong point in his game.

Yes I know he had around 10 good games this season. It's just not enough to earn more than bottom pairing D
He has a way better shot then rielly he's a better defender then rielly and we praised him and gave him 7.5 so I'm not sure I agree

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Yeah until you see the difference confidence makes then he looks like our best dman and you gotta pay him more accordingly

He has a way better shot then rielly he's a better defender then rielly and we praised him and gave him 7.5 so I'm not sure I agree
His shot is probably better than Rielly, who has a poor shot.

He is by far worse defender than Rielly. Rielly has gone head to head against other teams top lines for years with proven success. Liljegren shits the bed, as soon as he's played against top 6 competition

If you think otherwise, your out of your mind, and there is nothing we can agree on.

Reactions: CincoHolio

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I get the “he’s still young” argument, but the stone cold fact is he played his best hockey for us two seasons ago, he’s plateaued, sometimes regressed since. What we need to compute-and was the known issue in the AHL- his low hockey IQ. He doesn’t process the game fast enough, he’s fine with time, but under any forecheck, he just makes low quality plays, as Bourne said his whole defensive strategy is to move the puck to someone else’s problem. Without some poise, you’re lost and his lack thereof was frankly alarming. Sure, against shit teams he can skate up ice, make a decent pass, look okay on a PP. But, that’s just part of the story, when it gets tighter, he views a board win as a draw, he can’t move anyone, can’t clear the net and most concerning, can’t move a puck to save his life. Maybe he puts it together, but maybe there’s a reason he took so long in the AHL, the Kings didn’t want him and he’s never panned out to what his supporters saw. All I know, he couldn’t crack the playoff roster last year and proved he didn’t deserve it this year. If he wasn’t a RD, the experiment probably already ended. He’s the same age as Benoit too.

I never understood this whole hockey IQ thing.

I look at those player report cards and can't help but ask how they even measure something like that. It's not like there's a test. This is hockey we're talking about.

Either you got it or you don't.

I'd really like to think anyone making the NHL has a high hockey IQ. I'm probably being too generous here. But I have a hard time believing the NHL is full of stupid hockey players.

Those spots are reserved for management.

I'm calling bullshit on this whole hockey IQ thing. I want to see the magic formula this intelligence test is measured by. Otherwise it's just a matter of some guy looking a players stats and calling him stupid.

I can do that on my own.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I never understood this whole hockey IQ thing.

I look at those player report cards and can't help but ask how they even measure something like that. It's not like there's a test. This is hockey we're talking about.

Either you got it or you don't.

I'd really like to think anyone making the NHL has a high hockey IQ. I'm probably being too generous here. But I have a hard time believing the NHL is full of stupid hockey players.

Those spots are reserved for management.

I'm calling bullshit on this whole hockey IQ thing. I want to see the magic formula this intelligence test is measured by. Otherwise it's just a matter of some guy looking a players stats and calling him stupid.

I can do that on my own.
Well sure you'd don't make it that far without some hockey IQ, but it's kind of silly to argue there isn't another level which separates a good from bad player. I can't believe anyone can call "bullshit" on something so obvious, to me that's bullshit.

Sandin was dog trash. You think he would've signed for anything less than the 5x4.6 he signed for in Washington? If we paid him that much not a single person would be in his corner. That's a tank commander contract. Get through the OV beating 99's record and live out your days contract. He isn't there to do anything except collect his pay cheque and help Washington get some decent draft picks in OV's dying days.
He's still a better player than Lil, which is all I said, not sure what the other stuff really added.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
He's still a better player than Lil, which is all I said, not sure what the other stuff really added.
No it's not all you said, you said "we kept the wrong guy". I don't think so. First of all we got Cowan, second of all 4.6x5? You want that?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Well sure you'd don't make it that far without some hockey IQ, but it's kind of silly to argue there isn't another level which separates a good from bad player. I can't believe anyone can call "bullshit" on something so obvious, to me that's bullshit.

I'm not gonna disagree with you there are some hockey players who are smarter than others.

Just like Einstein was smarter than all his buddies at Princeton. But these analytics guys go so far as to quantify hockey IQ with a grade A, B, C or even a percentile 90th, 80th, etc. Basically calling players stupid or smart based on the results of some black box formula they invented based on an arbitrary definition of "hockey IQ" they made up.

I'm not smelling what they're stepping in.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
His feet are too slow. I didn’t see him in the AHL, but that was the scouting report when he was with the Marlies and it was accurate.

I think if the Sandin deal is available for Liljegren at this draft I think Toronto should be all over it. This is a defense heavy draft. Imagine walking away with Elick and Emery from round 1. Or Elick and a Center

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not gonna disagree with you there are some hockey players who are smarter than others.

Just like Einstein was smarter than all his buddies at Princeton. But these analytics guys go so far as to quantify hockey IQ with a grade A, B, C or even a percentile 90th, 80th, etc. Basically calling players stupid or smart based on the results of some black box formula they invented based on an arbitrary definition of "hockey IQ" they made up.

I'm not smelling what they're stepping in.
My opinion of Lil has nothing to do with analytics so we agree there.
No it's not all you said, you said "we kept the wrong guy". I don't think so. First of all we got Cowan, second of all 4.6x5? You want that?
it worked out in the end, and he forced a move, so sure.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Young D don't have linear paths to success in pro hockey .. he has shown me great progression over da years .. yes he looked bad in past 2 playoffs which is very concerning .. D is hardest position to learn in hockey .. I would give him a 1 year contract and tell him look this is da last chance here .. if he can't handle a 3rd pair role this year then trade him TDL or just walk away next summer .. but this is a tough call for sure

Depend on the return, if the return right now is high for him move him. If it’s gonna be higher at the deadline, wait till then and move him. But he ain’t a playoff dman. So the leafs need to build his value and move off him IMO.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
it worked out in the end, and he forced a move, so sure.
What are you even saying? You originally said we traded the wrong one. Now you're saying he forced a move? So we shouldn't have moved him even though he wanted to leave? I'm so confused. Did you misspeak originally? God forbid someone admit they misspoke one time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Feel the same about him. Maybe it will get him on the right path and focused. If not we just have to move on. I really thought he was going to put it together.

Reactions: arso40

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd be willing to pay him if he showed a bit more but he's been pretty underwhelming

He’s saying we’d regret not signing him longer term.

Really? He's going to need to improve a lot before that happens

Reactions: arso40 and TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad