Timothy Cain: Game Development Caution

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

I came across this video today and found it interesting. Tim Cain was one of the major designers for the OG Fallout game so he’s got some clout.

Long story short he says the AAA gaming industry is suffering from a lack of passion and creativity. That the sizes of these studios stifles developers from making necessary changes quickly. He also talks about work-environment culture, basically critiquing how some developers aren’t capable of receiving criticism or meeting deadlines.

I’m not sure if the latter is true or not but as someone who has been gaming since I was 5 on the SEGA Genesis I definitely feel the soulless nature in much of AAA gaming nowadays. The gems are few and far between. I was curious to see what the rest of you geeks think.

Reactions: Osprey

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Long story short he says the AAA gaming industry is suffering from a lack of passion and creativity.
I feel like this has been the case for some time now. The Indie side of the industry is where I see the most creative and passionate projects coming out these days.

It's unfortunate to see the industry where it is currently. I'm also feeling the soulless nature of the AAA world.

Reactions: JBeast

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
The big companies don't like taking risks right now, apparently due to lack of outside investment. Even bigger Indies are having trouble finding money.

To them, this means established IP and game formats.

Ironically, this is also a risk to get stale really quickly.

Also, big companies are not afraid to pump and dump developers right now. Look at what happened with Tango.

Creativity currently seems to be encouraged by small indies only. Look at the games that are taking off this year.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I feel like this has been the case for some time now. The Indie side of the industry is where I see the most creative and passionate projects coming out these days.

It's unfortunate to see the industry where it is currently. I'm also feeling the soulless nature of the AAA world.

It's not really surprising.

Most Hollywood movies that come out are soulless. They are produced by big budget studios with shareholders who want solid ROI. And if it weren't profitable, they wouldn't be doing it, so it obviously works. There's a reason they keep dipping into the MCU movies or doing remakes or extending franchises well beyond any reasonable need - it generates money.

Music is the same. Most of what you hear in the top rotations is soulless. It is produced for entertainment and mass consumption, not for art or depth.

TV shows? Same.

Food? Same.

It's the lowest common denominator winning out because people keep consuming it and it makes money.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I mean yea, it's pretty obvious that dev teams have gotten way too big and way too much red tape has been put in front of them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There are real issues with game development as far as the costs and logistics associated with making a AAA title, and the risks of that title not performing. That will invariably lead to less risk-taking.

That said, I tend to avoid using the word 'soulless' because everybody working on a game, from design leads all the way down to QA, are putting their heart and soul into making the best of whatever project they've been given.

Making games is hard, and it's STILL usually in the final WEEKS of development that everything comes together. Imagine working on something for years, and it feels like everything is on fire until the final few weeks. I'm amazed everybody working in games isn't an alcoholic.

I also wonder how much of the feeling of 'soullessness' comes down to getting older and nostalgia.

I feel like the SNES/Genesis and original PlayStation/N64 era were the most exciting times in gaming, where it felt like every month there was somebody trying something new, and getting at least most of the way there. But then when I visit my cousins, they feel the exact same way about games like Minecraft, Roblox, Fortnite, League of Legends, Valorant, etc

They are excited for every new update, every new discovery, every new character or hero etc.

I can sit here and wave my cane and say 'that's not as cool as having a ton of different new games and IPs all the time', but if they feel the same way I did at their age, is it really worse for them?

Sometimes I feel like games are like music. You know that old saying, that the music you listen to between 14 and 20 is the music you'll consider the best for the rest of your life? It just imprints on you as your forging your identity and becomes the standard. I feel like maybe our experiences with games are the same way. We experienced games and the industry a certain way, at a certain point, and no matter what happens moving forward, it will never feel as 'right' as it did back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad