Value of: Timo Meier to New Jersey

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
What would it take to get this kid to the Devils? He would look great alongside Hischier and Bratt on the 2nd line.

My offer:
Jesper Boqvist + Michael Vukojevic/Nikita Okhotyuk + 2021 1st (NYI) + 2022 2nd (NJD)
Bunch of C prospect, late 1st in a weak draft and a mid 2nd rd pick in 2022

That's not getting you Meier, quality > quantity

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think Boqvist nor either of Vukojevic or Okhotyuk will draw much interest from the Sharks. I'm sure they'd also prefer the 2022 1st over the Islander '21 pick. I'm alright with trading Timo Meier but it's gotta be something the Sharks want to have. They have more of a need for center, RHD, and goalie prospects over LHD's. They're pretty solid there and on the wing.

Reactions: themelkman

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think Boqvist nor either of Vukojevic or Okhotyuk will draw much interest from the Sharks. I'm sure they'd also prefer the 2022 1st over the Islander '21 pick. I'm alright with trading Timo Meier but it's gotta be something the Sharks want to have. They have more of a need for center, RHD, and goalie prospects over LHD's. They're pretty solid there and on the wing.

definitely fair

Boqvist is a better center than winger, though. We also have guys like Tyce Thompson available who could play center. Or Zacha if you want to go that route, though he is far better at wing than center

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Wow, that's terrible, NJ's prospect pool is the same. All LDs and wings. Haha.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Okhotyuk is a lot better to those who are familiar with him...which SJS fans are almost definitely not. They might go for Moynihan, Clarke 1.0, Foote, or Tyce. Can't see Boqvist moving the needle at all.

Not sure we move Clarke before finding out which of the Hughes/Clarke duo we're drafting.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Okhotyuk is a lot better to those who are familiar with him...which SJS fans are almost definitely not. They might go for Moynihan, Clarke 1.0, Foote, or Tyce. Can't see Boqvist moving the needle at all.

Not sure we move Clarke before finding out which of the Hughes/Clarke duo we're drafting.

So that was the angle all along...crafty bastards!

:)

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
What would it take to get this kid to the Devils? He would look great alongside Hischier and Bratt on the 2nd line.

My offer:
Jesper Boqvist + Michael Vukojevic/Nikita Okhotyuk + 2021 1st (NYI) + 2022 2nd (NJD)

Would Mercer be available in a deal for Meier?

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
The Sharks need high end young talent. What about Meier and Labanc for New Jersey’s 2021 1st?

It's fine value but the problem is there are some decent defencemen available and NJ could really use an additional D prospect. On top of that, they already own the rights to Hughes' and Clarke's brothers.

Would Mercer be available in a deal for Meier?

I'd rather lose Holtz, but I'm a Mercer superfan.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It's fine value but the problem is there are some decent defencemen available and NJ could really use an additional D prospect. On top of that, they already own the rights to Hughes' and Clarke's brothers.

I'd rather lose Holtz, but I'm a Mercer superfan.

Ok. Fair.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
People here thinking a guy who's been declining for 2 years at the age he should be improving, with a $10 million qualifying offer in 2 seasons, nets payments as if he panned out exactly as hoped. Move Meier for cap space. Picks and prospects, don't be fussy. OP's proposal works fine.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
People here thinking a guy who's been declining for 2 years at the age he should be improving, with a $10 million qualifying offer in 2 seasons, nets payments as if he panned out exactly as hoped. Move Meier for cap space. Picks and prospects, don't be fussy. OP's proposal works fine.
No it doesn't. Try rising above yourself and not being that poster

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I know Meier had a bad year but hes still worth a decent amount. We would need one really good asset coming back, which isnt really offered here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Cap space only matters if it’s going to be used so for a team like the Sharks with the contracts they have and direction they’re heading in, what is that cap space going to be used on that they can’t do already? Picks and prospects only mean something if they’re valued and utilized appropriately. You can make a sound argument for picks but prospects still have to fill an organizational need to which this deal doesn’t. Either pay for Meier by giving a futures based deal that makes sense for them or take a bad contract with Meier and give up next to nothing or look elsewhere.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Timo for NJ 1st straight up
That is never going to happen.

I'd consider trading Zacha and NYI first but honestly the contract structure with there being only 2 years left and the last year being a $10M salary is a deterrent. The qualifying offer would be very large and he could easily accept it and go to free agency.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That is never going to happen.

I'd consider trading Zacha and NYI first but honestly the contract structure with there being only 2 years left and the last year being a $10M salary is a deterrent. The qualifying offer would be very large and he could easily accept it and go to free agency.
I wouldn’t do it for that. That’s really bad for the sharks.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
The Sharks need high end young talent. What about Meier and Labanc for New Jersey’s 2021 1st?

LaBanc looks to have negative value to me, or at least is pretty borderline. He might pass through waivers. Meier's qualifying offer is so bad ($10 m) he will likely become a UFA in 2 years as he won't be qualified. A new deal I guess can be negotiated before that decision has to be made but it's going to be an interesting negotiation with UFA status likely coming. I don't think NJ can do this.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It aint great, but neither is Meier's contract situation. I probably wouldn't do the trade due to the contract tbh.
Great. Sharks won’t do it either so it doesn’t matter.
yeah if that is the ask, we probably aren't getting anywhere here.
Timo is a top 6 winger that is still only 24. You hope the first becomes him. Only reason we do this is cause we suck but need to suck more.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Great. Sharks won’t do it either so it doesn’t matter.

Timo is a top 6 winger that is still only 24. You hope the first becomes him. Only reason we do this is cause we suck but need to suck more.

I'm not saying its an unfair ask, I'm just saying I can't see NJ being interested

they need to use that first to get another high end DMan to pair with Ty Smith

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5