Tim Thomas to play next year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
How does that make things any better/worse?

He didn't retire because he still wants to play. He just doesn't want to play right now (or maybe he just doesn't want to play for us).

Because they wouldn't have been able to shop his rights?

Why even allude to "Maybe he just doesn't want to play for us?". IF that were the case, wouldn't he tell Chia that? Wouldn't he ask for a trade? Again, Tim Thomas who never has a problem speaking his mind and is going to sit home and not get paid 3 million bucks so he doesn't hurt anyone's feelings? It has nothing to do "with us".

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003

Why even allude to "Maybe he just doesn't want to play for us?". IF that were the case, wouldn't he tell Chia that? Wouldn't he ask for a trade? Again, Tim Thomas who never has a problem speaking his mind and is going to sit home and not get paid 3 million bucks so he doesn't hurt anyone's feelings? It has nothing to do "with us".

This.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
It's never been any secret that TT wants a shot at the Olympic team.

Once again, if he wanted to finalize a screwing of the Bruins he would retire outright.

My read on this latest communication is what Dom posted. TT will be willing to be traded to right club with right extension. Thereby leaving the door still open for a deal.

HA! He is not drawing a line in the sand. He is laying down the sand. :)

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Bruins tried to trade him in '09, year one of his deal.

You sign a 4 year deal at your job, after being the best at your position, a deal which says you will remain with your company for the minimum of four years... You get sick, and your boss wants to send you down the street to Walmart, all in year one. You may harbor some ill will, no?

I dont understand why people dont get this... its just business, and it goes both ways.
Even with a NTC Chia tried to trade him, so even with a contract TT took a year off... no matter what the reasons are.

His personnel beliefs are his, who are we to tell others what they should believe in?

We should be grateful for all the good memories.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Bruins tried to trade him in '09, year one of his deal.

You sign a 4 year deal at your job, after being the best at your position, a deal which says you will remain with your company for the minimum of four years... You get sick, and your boss wants to send you down the street to Walmart, all in year one. You may harbor some ill will, no?

Tim Thomas is not the first guy that a team attempted to move with an NMC/NTC. The Leafs did it to a great player in Mats Sundin and there have been others. It is an industry where every player knows the possibility of being moved exist.

Thomas had the right to do this and this may have been his only card to play and he played it well. I just feel it was pretty classless, unless there is some specific reason why he needs to take this particular year off.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This whole idea that he tried to shaft the Bruins is pure speculation and IMO nonsense.

Thomas could not have had any clue what was going to happen in CBA negotiations so that his decission could have screwed the Bruins. And to do so, he would have had to have known.

- continuation of 35+ contract rules and effect on cap if refusing to play?
- players refusing to report still counting on the cap?
- team suspended players for contract violations still counting on the cap?
- Would compliance buyouts exist? And would they be for this season?

There were just too many unknowns that he could intentionally "screw" the Bruins without knowing how his situation would affect them.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Imagine if every player involved in trade talks/rumours would do this? Perhaps he should have negotiated a NMC in the 4th year of his deal.
He didn't have to because he's willing to walk away from millions. If every player involved in trade talks was willing to do the same, we'd see more of this.

If anyone has earned the right to have a say in where he goes- TT is the guy.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tim Thomas is not the first guy that a team attempted to move with an NMC/NTC. The Leafs did it to a great player in Mats Sundin and there have been others. It is an industry where every player knows the possibility of being moved exist.

Thomas had the right to do this and this may have been his only card to play and he played it well. I just feel it was pretty classless, unless there is some specific reason why he needs to take this particular year off.

Your argument though insinuates that it's ok for a team to use a hammer when they have it but not the player when the hammer shifts to his hand.

See, to me, it's just business. I don't have a position except in that whoever has the hammer gets to use it. Has nothing to do with class or lack thereof. Just business.

saskbruin44*

Tim was instrumental in the Bruins winning the cup back in 2011. Time to turn the page and start a new chapter with Rask tending the pipes.

Let's hope the players do the same on the ice.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA

Maybe he has told Chia that. Maybe Chiarelli doesn't want that to go public. I don't think we're privy to everything going on between these two parties.

I don't think he's asked for a trade because I think the idea of the Bruins trading him offends him. My impression is that he was extremely annoyed with them for trying to trade him once before, and isn't going to let that happen at all, or at least until the Bruins are in his rearview and he would be playing on a new contract anyway. It's not about hurting feelings, I think to Thomas, it's about the "principle" of the thing.

But again, this is just my impression.

choccy

Sep 17, 2010
London UK
Well if Tukka ends up playing really well in this shortened season, I wouldn't want Thomas coming back in having had a year out and considering his age. Bruins should look to trade him in the summer IMO.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Your argument though insinuates that it's ok for a team to use a hammer when they have it but not the player when the hammer shifts to his hand.

See, to me, it's just business. I don't have a position except in that whoever has the hammer gets to use it. Has nothing to do with class or lack thereof. Just business.

Amen.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This was his game plan all along and my guess is what he told his family to reconnect with them;)

gotta keep a promise if that is what happened, and....mentally, he is starting with a clean slate and can hand pick his team or try to

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Well if Tukka ends up playing really well in this shortened season, I wouldn't want Thomas coming back in having had a year out and considering his age. Bruins should look to trade him in the summer IMO.

Why? If he can still play then they would be a great tandem.

If Tuukka plays poorly, would that make a difference?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Tim was instrumental in the Bruins winning the cup back in 2011. Time to turn the page and start a new chapter with Rask tending the pipes.

Let's hope the players do the same on the ice.

I would bet the players have already done so. It's the fans who can't let it go.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006

Fair enough.

But the difference to me is after The Bs tried trading Thomas in 2009 and if the rumours are true he "apparently" vetoed it. At that point the Bruins didn't tell him to go home and sit because they were upset with him. They obliged by not trading him and lived up to their part of the negotiated contract.

I understand your point but I just think both sides handled it differently. It just would not surprise me if a team gets desperate at some point this season and receives permission to speak with Thomas and Thomas decides to return "if" he gets a nice 2 year extension from a team he wishes to play for. That is where I see this heading. I just hope the Bs can get some asset for him.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Bill, remember TT did give Chia his ok on a possability to trade him before july first?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

They won't own his rights in the summer. He is gone as of July 1.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm confused. TT gave Chia an ok to trade him before July 1st. Are we talking July 1st 2013 or back in 2009?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad