Tim Thomas to play next year

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So he will be a UFA at the end of season? What a slap in the face to the Bs organization. Takes the year off that he has no control.

They really can't toll him because they could be on the hook again if he decides to take next year off too. Disgusting.

Maybe family is more important. Rumors swirled that he was having issues with his wife..etc. Who knows.

I dont get why people are so angry with him. Its a lockout shortened season anyway. In a way ALL of our players missed a year. The guy was great here. He's taking a year off. Tie your sneakers and move on.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
So he will be a UFA at the end of season? What a slap in the face to the Bs organization. Interesting that the year he "needs" to take off is the same year he has no control.

They really can't toll him because they could be on the hook again if he decides to take next year off too. Disgusting.

He doesn't get a dime from the B's so he doesn't owe them ****.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
As Aly quoted Chiarelli says "Unless I trade him."

IMO that is still a possibility. Two things Chiarelli has to do

1) Give a team permission to talk to him in advance of a trade

2) That team has to virtually guarantee he'll get the starter's job and an extension.

Not out of the realm of possibilities if you ask me

And yes he will be UFA at end of the season

No surprise there. It is what it is.

Appears pretty obvious to me he played the organization for a bunch of fools. Wonder what Neely thinks of this?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Maybe family is more important. Rumors swirled that he was having issues with his wife..etc. Who knows.

I dont get why people are so angry with him. Its a lockout shortened season anyway. In a way ALL of our players missed a year. The guy was great here. He's taking a year off. Tie your sneakers and move on.

This.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I think the anger comes from the way he did it. I love TT30, always will but there is a right/wrong way to do things and unfortunately no one remembers the right way (hope it made sense).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It wouldn't be a bad thing at all for us fans.

Maybe he just needed a mental break.

I really hope that's the case.

But I have a nagging feeling that he's just mad at the Bruins for trying to trade him and this is how he pouts about it. "I'll be back as soon as I don't have to play for you ****ers. Oh, and I'm going to make sure you can't get anything for my rights either."

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

^ Good post and I agree

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I really hope that's the case.

But I have a nagging feeling that he's just mad at the Bruins for trying to trade him and this is how he pouts about it. "I'll be back as soon as I don't have to play for you ****ers. Oh, and I'm going to make sure you can't get anything for my rights either."

Flawed thinking IMO.. Had he wanted to stick the Bruins he would have just retired.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006

I would hope that family is the most important thing to every player in the NHL.

Also, not sure how "a lockout shortened season" has anything to do with it? It only shows me Thomas is giving up less money by walking away in a shortened season in what was essentially a front loaded contract in the first place. I wonder if he received the P.A's $10,000 stipend before Christmas???

Anyhow, hopefully Rask and Khudobin can do the job and the Bs come out flying.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I think the anger comes from the way he did it. I love TT30, always will but there is a right/wrong way to do things and unfortunately no one remembers the right way (hope it made sense).

I agree to a point, is there ever a right way to announce you're taking a year off? I think him deciding not to meet the President, and him posting his political views on facebook are the catalyst for why people hate him.

He could of done it differently, but then again he would have gotten crapped on regardless, (Haggs being apart of it)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Pretty sure this was part of the plan all along or he would have retired, no? Also, Tim didn't owe Chiarelli "But I plan on playing next year". He didn't retire and totally screw them. GIves Chia six months to move his rights maybe to a team that wants to start negotiations early, or it lets Chia know that maybe Tim will sign here as a back up this summer. We will need one anyways.

I would doubt that Tim gets handed a big deal and starting job after he takes a year off, but you never know.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Imagine if every player involved in trade talks/rumours would do this? Perhaps he should have negotiated a NMC in the 4th year of his deal.

Bruins tried to trade him in '09, year one of his deal.

You sign a 4 year deal at your job, after being the best at your position, a deal which says you will remain with your company for the minimum of four years... You get sick, and your boss wants to send you down the street to Walmart, all in year one. You may harbor some ill will, no?

Nightslyr

Mar 26, 2002
NH
If the rumors about his family situation are true, I sincerely hope he gets it all squared away in a happy/healthy manner.

And, I hope he decides to re-sign with the Bruins next year (for a much lower price). As Tuukka' backup.

All that said, I'm not holding my breath.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
If the rumors about his family situation are true, I sincerely hope he gets it all squared away in a happy/healthy manner.

And, I hope he decides to re-sign with the Bruins next year (for a much lower price). As Tuukka' backup.

All that said, I'm not holding my breath.

He will no doubt look for a starters job at starters money, no doubt... But it would be nice to see him back.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Wonder if the contract tolls over to next season? Will the Bs have him on the books capwise for this season and next season if he owes them a year on the contract? How will this effect the Bruins going forward?

This certainly will hang over the team all year especially if Rask struggles and everyone keeps asking the FO about Thomas. Has potential to be another distraction all season.

Not sure what Tim Thomas is trying to accomplish here. He is stating he will play next year but is not willing to play this year when he owes the club a season. Very strange situation. The Bruins should deal with this somehow and not allow this to become another Tim Thomas distraction.

The Bruins have a 5 million caphit for this guy and he states he will play next year but not this year?? Enough is enough with this guy holding the Bruins organization hostage.

How in the world is it holding the team hostage? At the end of the season he is an UFA and walks. WHere is the problem?

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
Agree... TT will be a UFA next season,So why tell Chia he wants to play next year?
Did that mean he wants to play for the bruins?

To let potential teams know he plans to play next year. Maybe they trade for him and he has a change of heart for this year "if" he gets an extension elsewhere.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Crazy thought, but maybe he just wanted to take a year off.

Hey come on, where would you get an idea that a guy who said he wanted to take the year off but might want to play in the future, would actually take a year off but play in the future?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Agree... TT will be a UFA next season,So why tell Chia he wants to play next year?
Did that mean he wants to play for the bruins?

It's never been any secret that TT wants a shot at the Olympic team.

Once again, if he wanted to finalize a screwing of the Bruins he would retire outright.

My read on this latest communication is what Dom posted. TT will be willing to be traded to right club with right extension. Thereby leaving the door still open for a deal.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I believe it's wrong to give a guy a NMC and then immediately try to move him. So you are right, NOBODY remembers the right way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad