Tim Stutzle (OTT) vs Auston Matthews (TOR) Who is better defensively?

Who is better defensively?

• Tim Stutzle

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Scoring is up 5.6% from 2018-19 to 2022-23, and Stutzle's D+3 ppg was 7.5% higher than Matthews'.

Beyond that, Stutzle led his team in scoring by 7 points (his 82 game pace was 12 points clear of 2nd), while Matthews was 3rd on the Leafs and tied 2nd with Tavares in PPG. I do think Babcock had a negative impact on Matthews ability to put up numbers, but he was also on a better team with more talent. A lot of these things net out IMO.

At the worst, Matthews and Stutzle were on par with eachother in their D+3 years, but if an edge goes to anyone it's Stutzle IMO.
did he actually play with the better talent though?

Here are the most common linemates at even strength for both players in their d+3 seasons.

Screenshot_20231002_151801_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231002_151921_Chrome.jpg

I don't know about you but I would easily take B. Tkachuk, Giroux and Batherson over Kapanen, Marleau, and Johnsson.

Reactions: authentic

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
did he actually play with the better talent though?

Here are the most common linemates at even strength for both players in their d+3 seasons.

I don't know about you but I would easily take B. Tkachuk, Giroux and Batherson over Kapanen, Marleau, and Johnsson.
He was on a team with better talent, he just didn't always play with them, which is why I phrased it the way I did. There are benefits to having Tavares/Marner on a separate line to draw attention away from Matthews. And he got them on the PP.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
AM34 finally wins a poll ! Just had to exclude the contract!!

The only reason Matthews isn't getting more votes (for a bigger gap) in the points thread is because many known Leafs homers are literally avoiding the poll entirely, due to fear of being ridiculed for being wrong later on.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
He was on a team with better talent, he just didn't always play with them, which is why I phrased it the way I did. There are benefits to having Tavares/Marner on a separate line to draw attention away from Matthews. And he got them on the PP.
Quality of linemates typically has a way higher influence on overall production than quality of competition does, and yes but it's not like Stutzle was playing with scrubs either, and like I said previously, Stutzle getting an extra minute and a half on the PP is huge. Not hard to see that Stutzle was put in a position to be more productive given linemates and ice time distribution he had compared to Matthews.

Reactions: authentic

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Why not? He had a more productive d+3 season despite being 4 months younger and playing on a worse team. There's no reason Stutzle couldn't reach or even surpass Matthews, especially in the playoffs.

well, from D+4 onward for Matthews, here are his playoff stats.

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 4.40.58 PM.png

So he needs to be a PPG+ player... but also, he just needs to worry about making the playoffs first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad