Tim Stutzle (OTT) vs Auston Matthews (TOR) Who is better defensively?

Who is better defensively?

• Tim Stutzle

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Feel free to think whatever you like.
I do, but I am asking what makes you so sure that "Stutzle will NEVER be as good as Matthews". Stutzle is arguably ahead of Matthews at the same stage in their careers, leading his team in scoring as a 20 year old while Matthews finished 3rd on the Leafs as a 21 year old, so I am curious.

If you're just being a homer that's fine.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I sympathize with this, just getting frustrating having the same topic hammered over and over and having the same arguments over and over.

Yes I can ignore it, but these are rage bait threads meant to drive clicks. The same topic over and over meant to keep drama going between our fanbases. By my count we have had 7 Stutzle vs Matthews polls since the last time either played an actual NHL game, with 4 of them being in the past 2 weeks.

For a guy who said he literally doesn't care, why are you posting in these threads?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
For a guy who said he literally doesn't care, why are you posting in these threads?

Sorry, where in that post did I say I didn't care? But no worries, I am done with these threads. I enjoy some shit talking and chirping but we are going into insanity with the same thing over and over. I'll be back when we have some new stuff to talk about.

And if you re-read my post, my point stands. We have far too many of the same polls that are just meant to continue igniting the same people into the same arguments over and over with no new data or sample. And so, if people want to think Matthews is garbage or whatever I don't really care if they do anymore. I'll just be enjoying watching hockey and star talent.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
AM34 finally wins a poll ! Just had to exclude the contract!!

What is this hyperbole?

He’s destroying Stutzle in this poll and the reason why Tim is leading the other one is largely because of his contract.

Garbage?
Yeah and also the other poll is quite close considering contracts are included. Leafs fans should actually be happy with the results from that poll that includes contracts , its pretty close , timmy is pretty good and at that cap hit taking him over AM34 isn't some kind of disrespect like they are making it sound

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah and also the other poll is quite close considering contracts are included. Leafs fans should actually be happy with the results from that poll that includes contracts , its pretty close , timmy is pretty good and at that cap hit taking him over AM34 isn't some kind of disrespect like they are making it sound

I don’t get it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Matthews
not close

I think Matthews is somewhere between his 21/22 and 22/23 seasons in terms of his impact defensively

Stutzle has not come close to Matthews peaks with his defensive impact in his young career

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Sorry, where in that post did I say I didn't care? But no worries, I am done with these threads. I enjoy some shit talking and chirping but we are going into insanity with the same thing over and over. I'll be back when we have some new stuff to talk about.

And if you re-read my post, my point stands. We have far too many of the same polls that are just meant to continue igniting the same people into the same arguments over and over with no new data or sample. And so, if people want to think Matthews is garbage or whatever I don't really care if they do anymore. I'll just be enjoying watching hockey and star talent.
they are just trying to troll you.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

You said that in the other poll but then continued to post.

You keep saying that you don't care, but then have a blown fuse whenever it happens.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
they are just trying to troll you.

I'm aware, and I let myself get sucked into the shenanigans the last few days. Especially as another poster enjoys finding my threads and telling me I am just making a thread for people to argue then does the same thing. It is not worth the energy and I don't feel like making the mods job harder either by engaging with them at this point.

When the season starts, I am more than happy to talk about that. But pretty tired of having the same discussion over and over. We get it, people think Matthews scores 0 points in the playoffs and isn't worth his money. They can think what they want. I still get to enjoy watching him play as a maple leaf and that is good enough for me.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I'm aware, and I let myself get sucked into the shenanigans the last few days. Especially as another poster enjoys finding my threads and telling me I am just making a thread for people to argue then does the same thing. It is not worth the energy and I don't feel like making the mods job harder either by engaging with them at this point.

When the season starts, I am more than happy to talk about that. But pretty tired of having the same discussion over and over. We get it, people think Matthews scores 0 points in the playoffs and isn't worth his money. They can think what they want. I still get to enjoy watching him play as a maple leaf and that is good enough for me.
Again, victim complex.

Why do you feel so sorry for yourself & the Leafs?

"They can think what they want", even that's not true in your mind. You literally pout anytime someone says anything negative about the Leafs and accuse them of being a "Leafs hater".

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Imagine what you are likely to get with that difference in cap hit? Probably something like a 3rd liner who isn't much of a difference maker!

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I sympathize with this, just getting frustrating having the same topic hammered over and over and having the same arguments over and over.

Yes I can ignore it, but these are rage bait threads meant to drive clicks. The same topic over and over meant to keep drama going between our fanbases. By my count we have had 7 Stutzle vs Matthews polls since the last time either played an actual NHL game, with 4 of them being in the past 2 weeks.
We had 4 Pinto threads in the top 5 threads yesterday, no idea why they weren’t merged.

Looks like Hockey is back.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Why not? He had a more productive d+3 season despite being 4 months younger and playing on a worse team. There's no reason Stutzle couldn't reach or even surpass Matthews, especially in the playoffs.
League wide scoring was also higher this year than it was in Matthews d+3. Stutzle also averaged a minute and half more ice time per game on the powerplay as well to (thanks Babcock). Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
League wide scoring was also higher this year than it was in Matthews d+3. Stutzle also averaged a minute and half more ice time per game on the powerplay as well to (thanks Babcock). Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.
Scoring is up 5.6% from 2018-19 to 2022-23, and Stutzle's D+3 ppg was 7.5% higher than Matthews'.

Beyond that, Stutzle led his team in scoring by 7 points (his 82 game pace was 12 points clear of 2nd), while Matthews was 3rd on the Leafs and tied 2nd with Tavares in PPG. I do think Babcock had a negative impact on Matthews ability to put up numbers, but he was also on a better team with more talent. A lot of these things net out IMO.

At the worst, Matthews and Stutzle were on par with eachother in their D+3 years, but if an edge goes to anyone it's Stutzle IMO.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Please. Just look at your threads regarding the Oilers or better yet the Panthers.

No self awareness.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad