Tim Stutzle (OTT) vs Auston Matthews (TOR) Who is better defensively?

Who is better defensively?

• Tim Stutzle

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Auston Matthews

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrshootthepuck

Jun 30, 2023
Which of these two forwards is better defensively?

1244001782-e1666021227244.jpg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Matthews already has finished top 10 in Selke voting and that was without PK time.

Now that he's going to be on the PK that should improve.

In the last poll I said there was no legitimate argument against Matthews, I believe that even more defensively.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
battle of ontairo is already spicy in september

i think matthews only has the one strong year defensively but it's still him in this poll

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sens fans, no matter how much reassurance HFboards gives you Stutzle will NEVER be as good as Matthews.

Reactions: Voight

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Neither one is Selke level defensively.
Matthews currently has a better defensive game but Stutzle is younger so it’s expected.
Hard to compare stars who are this far apart in age.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Matthews but it will be pretty close before long. Stützle is smart, strong, hard-working, extremely detailed, highly competitive, and always working to improve. He is arguably the hardest working player on the Sens.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would agree that when Matthews is focused and engaged he's really good defensively. In the right place, good body position, and great stick work. He does dog it at times though and can miss assignments. He can get rattled by opposition or refs from time to time.

Haven't seen enough of Stuztle to give an informed opinion of him defensively. Certainly has very strong skating and hustle which can go a long way.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
We're not the ones making new polls for reassurance.

Now make one about which player is older.
I sympathize with this, just getting frustrating having the same topic hammered over and over and having the same arguments over and over.

Yes I can ignore it, but these are rage bait threads meant to drive clicks. The same topic over and over meant to keep drama going between our fanbases. By my count we have had 7 Stutzle vs Matthews polls since the last time either played an actual NHL game, with 4 of them being in the past 2 weeks.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Sens fans, no matter how much reassurance HFboards gives you Stutzle will NEVER be as good as Matthews.

Yes I can ignore it, but these are rage bait threads meant to drive clicks. The same topic over and over meant to keep drama going between our fanbases. By my count we have had 7 Stutzle vs Matthews polls since the last time either played an actual NHL game, with 4 of them being in the past 2 weeks.

qunxx.jpg

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Reminds me of the days when you spearheaded the campaign that Matthews was on McDavid's level.

Good times

ha I never did that, but I know proof is never required for this stuff. I don't feel like redoing this argument, but for reference saying someone played better than another THAT season including their overall game (which the players and media agreed) is far, far different than claiming He is McDavid's equal.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Why not? He had a more productive d+3 season despite being 4 months younger and playing on a worse team. There's no reason Stutzle couldn't reach or even surpass Matthews, especially in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad