Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I think it was more of an issue of people leaving, heading to the Tavern United right next door. Walk in that door - a huge beer tub of cold beers for $5 awaited our entry. My brother and I (when I used to goto games prior to 2020) would go crush two and be back in our seats before puck drop for the new period. True North didn't like us not paying for their $10 (or whatever they cost now) beers.

But sure, security is a good excuse to further maximize their concession profits.
Oh man, I used to have tickets in 311 and in the same amount of time I waited in the bathroom line just ouside our section, I could go to Tavern, go to the bathroom and crush 2 beers for $10.00. Life was good

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Cypruss

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Oh man, I used to have tickets in 311 and in the same amount of time I waited in the bathroom line just ouside our section, I could go to Tavern, go to the bathroom and crush 2 beers for $10.00. Life was good
I'm sure I saw you there a few times. It was a great tradition that I truly miss :) I do smoke, but never have a problem going the duration of the game without any - I don't even go out at bomber games for one where there is an area for just that. Now, a 5 extra period playoff overtime game - I might get a little anxious to run out for one.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
So, tonight my family and I got to skate and chat with the best goalie in the world.

We attended the season ticket skate with the players where we got to mingle on the ice and get autographs from four players in each session. My group was lucky enough to have Helle.

I think Jets management are listening and the season ticket perks are getting better. I'm very happy and stoked for the rest of the season.

I still feel privileged to be able to watch a very solid team in the world's best hockey league many nights a year.

Go Jets Go!

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I think they are hustling for sales.

Yeah, I’ve noticed a big change in how TNSE markets and treats ST’s (speaking as a current ST holder since 2011 inaugural season). I think this narrative of blaming TNSE and high prices is going to get a bit old at some point. Yes, it’s expensive, but it’s expensive for 31 other markets too (at least those spending close to or right up to the cap in order to be competitive). At some point, it will be time to pony up and show up, or we know how this story ends (if this goes on for a several seasons…). Ultimately, I think TNSE is rightfully working on building this back up to a 13k base by focusing on the corporate / business sector, which is typically more resilient to bad on-ice performance or tougher economic times - that’s not to say they are immune to those issues, of course, but they are typically more resilient. And thus will help prevent another debacle in the season ticket base like we’ve seen over the past few years.

What do we consider discounted tickets these days?

It's the NHL with 10k season ticket holders. What will get the drunk degens that pay $40 cover at Bombers game to stand around and drink overpriced Miller Lights willing to pay to stand at a bar indoors at a Jets game in the middle of the winter.

For what it’s worth, after the 25% jets season ticket discount on booze being applied, it’s actually cheaper to drink at a jets game than it is at a blue bombers game (in my experience).

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
According to the story: "During the 2023-24 season, the Jets sold an average of 13,490 tickets per game, according to hockeyDB.com. That worked out to 1,831 empty seats at Canada Life Centre, the second-smallest arena in the NHL."

It's an interesting situation because there is no question that the interest is there. This is not an apathetic market when it comes to the NHL by any means. I'd bet my bottom dollar that this is purely an issue of cost. Obviously there are many exceptions on an individual level, but on the whole people don't have the same level of disposable income as they did 10-12 years ago. Combine that with ticket price increases, and it's easy to see why some seats aren't moving the way they used to.

I really do think the way forward is with mini-packs. For most people, 6, 8 or 10 grand for a pair of seasons tickets year after year is a big ask. Unless you are one of the fortunate very high earners, have a business or whatever, you have to stop and really think about spending that much money. But if you get people to sign up for a 10 game package, it's much easier to swallow. It takes effort to sell all of those, but it's probably more sustainable in the long run at those price points.

On a related note, my Bomber season tickets are about 1 thousand a pop and to me it's a no-brainer, it's so enjoyable that I don't even really think about it before hitting renew. I got a good discount on my Grey Cup tickets next year by committing for three years as a STH. Easy decision. That's a good example of how the Bombers use a carrot rather than a stick.

This is a great post.
The only thing I’ll say though re: comparing bombers to jets is it’s not really realistic to compare ticket prices between CFL and NHL given the markets that you’re competing with in both instances, and in particular the salary cap applicable to both leagues.

Game 1 sold 1154 more tickets than last year, Game 2 sold 1690 more tickets than last year. With the news that season ticket sales are up 500, it sounds like the attendance is bouncing back but still has more work to do to retain and gain another 500+ season ticket holders next season and eventually return to sellouts every night. Winning some rounds in the playoffs would help with that.

I actually genuinely think that last year was the rock bottom for attendance. I think that a lot of people went from 100 to zero last year, but I don’t think that this was most ex-ST-holders’ long term intentions. I think some people wanted to go from 100 to 80, some 100 to 50, etc. I think it will get better, and while the 500 extra ST this year is a “baby” step, it is nevertheless a positive step.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
This is a great post.
The only thing I’ll say though re: comparing bombers to jets is it’s not really realistic to compare ticket prices between CFL and NHL given the markets that you’re competing with in both instances, and in particular the salary cap applicable to both leagues.
It's only like an ~$80m difference. No biggie. 😆

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Start up a student zone with discounted tickets, they’ll get boozing and liven up the atmosphere.

I actually think they should keep a few hundred seats in the P7 type of price range aside (and at a more discounted rate) specifically for students. I think there is a market for that. Obviously you can’t sell the whole rink to that market, nor would that be sustainable from the jets perspective financially, but there is a market for a few hundred I think

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I actually think they should keep a few hundred seats in the P7 type of price range aside (and at a more discounted rate) specifically for students. I think there is a market for that. Obviously you can’t sell the whole rink to that market, nor would that be sustainable from the jets perspective financially, but there is a market for a few hundred I think

Students get email deals for games. It's been a source of complaints for some that students are getting seats for less than they paid etc etc etc

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
It's only like an ~$80m difference. No biggie. 😆

There is a huge gap between the team salary caps, but from a fan cost per game perspective, they are not wildly dissimiliar... Bomber season tickets range between $24-$167 a game. Jets are $40-$206. Obviously you pay a lot more for Jets season tickets given that there are four times as many home games, but for a casual fan looking to make a decision about which game to attend on a given day, the difference in price for a pair of tickets, drinks, parking, etc. is not really that vast.

That said, I like to think that Winnipeg is big enough to enthusiastically support teams in multiple sports.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I think they are hustling for sales.
I was a season ticket holder from day one until the year before the covid stoppage. I have not heard a peep from TN since. I would like to get to some games this year but my work schedule is pretty tight on weekdays to pull it off.

Coincidentally I went to one Jets game in Phoenix years ago and every year - until they moved to the college rink, I would get a call and an email letting me know when the Jets were in town and if there were any other games I would be interested in.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You can't compare the Bombers and the Jets, Bombers don't even have a home game per week sometimes, 9 regular season games in 4 months is nothing plus it's outside in the summer time. Jets is 41 home games during the winter, sometimes 3 or 4 games in a week. I know sometimes it's so frigging cold it's everything you have to go out in that cold .

Reactions: Whis

wpg1

Oct 7, 2024
Plenty of tickets available Friday night between $50-65. Honestly for world class hockey I'm not sure how anyone could expect to pay any less.

Honestly, this is it. I remember back in the Moose days thinking, wouldn't it be incredible to watch the Washington Capitals over the Hershey Bears or in this case the Sharks over Barracuda. We have the option 41 nights a season to see our own superstars and periodically some of best hockey players to ever play the game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I did the same but paid for it hard the next day. Started booking the next day off work. Now I could never imagine doing that haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Ossific

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad