Thoughts on San Diego?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Anaheim and San Diego are close on a map, but they're entirely different markets and when there are competing sports they have seperate and unique fanbases. I honestly don't think San Diego being added to the NHL would in any way hamper the existing SoCal draws or that SD would be hurting drawing only from say south of San Clemente.

If there's really an interested party that wants to buy in is another matter. The rumored arena plan feels more like it's using the allure of NHL or NBA teams as a carrot to get support whereas in reality they'd be happy having it as a venue without a permanent pro tenant.

Ducks vs Gulls would be an interesting annoying water fowl rivalry, though. And San Diego would climb to the top of my road city that I most want to visit list. Just an insanely pleasant city.
It really is like saying that New York and Philadelphia are the same market. Only real difference is the lack of a state line between LA and SD.

I mean there's a lot of "no true Scotsmen" type reasoning going on here.

I would definitely argue that the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes or the 2019 St Louis Blues were not doing great financially. If you say they don't count as "genuinely unhealthy" then what teams are - besides Arizona I guess?

Winning the cup is hard no matter what. But I think we've seen that as long as you aren't playing games just to get to the salary floor that any team has a shot at winning the cup, and that the wealthiest clubs (your NYRs, TMLs or Habs) have no better shot at it than anyone else.
You do realize that "all but impossible" admits that it is possible. Just extremely unlikely as it's rare for a cash strapped franchise to spend to the cap for multiple seasons.

If you can't consistently spend to the cap, which is my definition of an unhealthy franchise, then you're fighting uphill right from the start, and yes, it is all but impossible to win the Cup in that environment, against a bunch of other teams that have more resources to attract and keep talent.

This isn't a fallacy. It's just the facts of life for marginal teams. Pretty much nothing can go wrong for them or it's just over.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It really is like saying that New York and Philadelphia are the same market. Only real difference is the lack of a state line between LA and SD.

You do realize that "all but impossible" admits that it is possible. Just extremely unlikely as it's rare for a cash strapped franchise to spend to the cap for multiple seasons.

If you can't consistently spend to the cap, which is my definition of an unhealthy franchise, then you're fighting uphill right from the start, and yes, it is all but impossible to win the Cup in that environment, against a bunch of other teams that have more resources to attract and keep talent.

This isn't a fallacy. It's just the facts of life for marginal teams. Pretty much nothing can go wrong for them or it's just over.

So no - I don't think spending right to the cap is required to win the cup.

But since you started this thread and brought up SD a couple of time - why don't you try engaging with my point (repeated twice) that San Diego is not a market to be considered because the arena is controlled by Stan Kroenke who already owns an NHL team?

I could come up with a list or probably 20 markets that, ignoring anything else, would probably make fine NHL markets if you ignore issues around ownership and arenas. That's not a very interesting conversation though because of course you have to consider arenas and ownership.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
And the owner is…

(Um, blerg)

Mind you, do we know who even would own the suburban Atlanta team?

Do not be surprised if this incident kills expansion hopes for a while.
That would not surprise me at all.

The NHL has two markets they seem to want to get into: Atlanta and Houston. They could certainly expand to 34 teams. But Houston does not have the ownership figured out, and that will probably take a few years. That leaves Atlanta.

Atlanta may turn out to be for the NHL what LA was to the NFL for 20+ years. Starting in about 1995, LA was a tool for any owner wanting a new stadium and not getting the "proper recognition" from the local fans and politicians, or if attendance was lagging and the fans expressing displeasure. The NFL would mention how badly it wanted a team or two in LA. That ultimately culminated with three teams throwing their hats in the ring for two slots.

From the owners' perspectives, having what looks like a strong untapped market or two is a powerful hammer to keep the minions in line.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
That would not surprise me at all.

The NHL has two markets they seem to want to get into: Atlanta and Houston. They could certainly expand to 34 teams. But Houston does not have the ownership figured out, and that will probably take a few years. That leaves Atlanta.

Houston does have ownership figured out - it would have to be Tilman Fertitta. If the NHL and Fertitta can come to a deal then great. If they can't then no team in Houston.

Reactions: dj4aces

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
It was ignored before, so I'll try again why San Diego won't work. It's because of Stan Kroenke.

The arena in San Diego is the Pechanga Arena. It's home to the AHL Gulls, Originally built in 1966, but last year Stan Kroenke's group announced they were the major investor in a redevelopment of the arena to include housing, mixed use development and an entertainment district. You know - all the bells and whistles new arena developments come with., and all the alternate streams of income an NHL team needs.

But then here's the problem. The only owner that makes sense in San Diego is Stan Kroenke - but Kroenke already owns the Avalanche.

It doesn't make sense to build a second brand new arena in San Diego, which is large but not that large. It also doesn't make sense for anyone else to purchase a team and pay rent to Stan Kroenke.
His son can own the team. Josh.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Houston does have ownership figured out - it would have to be Tilman Fertitta. If the NHL and Fertitta can come to a deal then great. If they can't then no team in Houston.
Figuring out ownership means actually writing the check that supports the sale price of the other owners. The evidence of Fertitta coming to that conclusion is scant at best.

That’s one element of what I mean by figuring out ownership.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
It was ignored before, so I'll try again why San Diego won't work. It's because of Stan Kroenke.

The arena in San Diego is the Pechanga Arena. It's home to the AHL Gulls, Originally built in 1966, but last year Stan Kroenke's group announced they were the major investor in a redevelopment of the arena to include housing, mixed use development and an entertainment district. You know - all the bells and whistles new arena developments come with., and all the alternate streams of income an

It doesn't make sense to build a second brand new arena in San Diego, which is large but not that large. It also doesn't make sense for anyone else to purchase a team and pay rent to Stan Kroenke.
I think Kroenke may want NBA and/or NHL teams in San Diego to make sure no one ever thinks of putting and NFL team there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad