Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That’s pretty harsh, Beast. I get where you are coming from but maybe you are arguing this one a little over the top? Mews and Marrelli didn’t stink the place out. Both have played well. Mews had a very rough start but he did play well in the second half and was decent in the playoffs. I would still say he ended up under expectations but he did put up very respectable stats for a 17 year old d-Man. Marrelli was solid pretty much all year. I would caution using those two as the examples of poor results. I think Barlas and Kelly would be stronger examples. I’d also point to how both Foster and Gardiner stagnating last year as a poor sign of potential things to come.

HOWEVER, Pinelli put up some really strong stats. Dever had a strong finish and very good playoffs. So, there are some bright spots. Like I mentioned previously, it is only a three season sample size so it may be tough to draw definitive conclusions right now. I am concerned but I wouldn’t jump to conclusions at this point either.
Maybe, but the fact that a coach is supposed to develop players and give them the ability to learn and grow. A coach who is supposed to put the best team possible on the ice would put out a line with 2 players who were not fit to be playing. While he had players that had shown some ability to play as should be important parts of the team in a series that really meant nothing. None of us expected to eliminate Oshawa. Would leave these kids on the bench and not play them and give them a chance to play and develop.

A coach who has a team that is not going to be the top team would not give ice time to their first-round +1 player.

Pinelli could do nothing but score, considering the ice time he was getting and his proven ability. Mews was good, but I think when you drop like he did in NHL scouting, there is an issue.

If we have Whitehead playing anything other than 3rd line center then I have to wonder about Boyd and his ability to draft forwards/centers If Whitehead tanks then Boyd will be 0-3

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Maybe, but the fact that a coach is supposed to develop players and give them the ability to learn and grow. A coach who is supposed to put the best team possible on the ice would put out a line with 2 players who were not fit to be playing. While he had players that had shown some ability to play as should be important parts of the team in a series that really meant nothing. None of us expected to eliminate Oshawa. Would leave these kids on the bench and not play them and give them a chance to play and develop.

A coach who has a team that is not going to be the top team would not give ice time to their first-round +1 player.

Pinelli could do nothing but score, considering the ice time he was getting and his proven ability. Mews was good, but I think when you drop like he did in NHL scouting, there is an issue.

If we have Whitehead playing anything other than 3rd line center then I have to wonder about Boyd and his ability to draft forwards/centers If Whitehead tanks then Boyd will be 0-3

Even with Killer who was an outstanding developer of talent and had a pretty good scouting group to identify quality players, the 67’s had a few years, sometimes back to back, where they had gaping holes in development and/or poor draft results. Because this has only been a 3 season period, I wouldn’t be overly harsh “yet.” I definitely understand where you are coming from but we are also only working with portions of information. That aspect makes me hold back a bit on the harsh criticism.

We could come out this year and Whitehead looks great in the 3rd line centre role, Amidovski plays some crazy minutes beside him on the 3rd line, and Kelly steps up on the right side of that line and we get some unexpected results from that trio. All of a sudden, the things we are pointing to don’t seem as awful as first expected.

I think we need to give Dave another year or two before we give some sort of definitive grade on the scorecard. I definitely hear you regarding the points you have raised but I am not quite there yet. I need to see more development or lack thereof before I render that harsh of a judgement and write him off.

Reactions: beastintheeast

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Can’t compare to Killer. There’s a reason he leads the chl in all time wins and is a top 2 coach of all time in junior (and for a lot, not #2)

From what I’ve seen- Cameron has done a good job with his time there. Obviously would be nice to have more playoff success but his regular season track record speaks for itself.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Can’t compare to Killer. There’s a reason he leads the chl in all time wins and is a top 2 coach of all time in junior (and for a lot, not #2)

From what I’ve seen- Cameron has done a good job with his time there. Obviously would be nice to have more playoff success but his regular season track record speaks for itself.

In fairness, he inherited the players that got him there. He is now getting his first draft class into their 19 year old season. Now is when he can be evaluated on development ability.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mews drops to the 3rd round to the Flames at #74. I was pretty sure he would drop but I thought his finish to the season would have kept him in the 2nd round. Looks like he has some work to do on his game to regain his reputation.

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
Hopefully Marelli is also picked but seem to remember some recent rankings project him going in the 6th round, so will a bit of anxious wait for him.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Mews drops to the 3rd round to the Flames at #74. I was pretty sure he would drop but I thought his finish to the season would have kept him in the 2nd round. Looks like he has some work to do on his game to regain his reputation.
Unreal he dropped that far

Yes a lot of work but he has the offence part down so he should be fine. Bad mix of small and poor defensively put him down a bit. I’m sure the 2 things works the most on this year is bulking up and his defensive play.

Hopefully Marelli is also picked but seem to remember some recent rankings project him going in the 6th round, so will a bit of anxious wait for him.
Cannot believe he isn’t picked yet. Owen Protz went 4th round LOL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Unreal he dropped that far

Yes a lot of work but he has the offence part down so he should be fine. Bad mix of small and poor defensively put him down a bit. I’m sure the 2 things works the most on this year is bulking up and his defensive play.

Cannot believe he isn’t picked yet. Owen Protz went 4th round LOL

Mews is 6’1” 185. His Pro playing weight should be around 195-205 so I wouldn’t say he is small.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
As expected, Marrelli goes undrafted. The <6’ D-Men need significant offence to get a true opportunity in the draft. Frankie just doesn’t produce enough offence to get serious consideration. That all said, he is still a helluva OHL D-Man and I still feel he is very impactful for the 67s.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My bad had no idea he was 6’1. Thought he was 5’11. Doesn’t look very big on skates.
Marrelli is the smaller one. He’s 5’11” but he will likely play closer to 190 this season. If he can pack on a few pounds and get close to 190, I think it will help his game. He likes to be a bit more physical and leverage guys more. The extra weight will help that.

Reactions: frontsfan67

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
My bad had no idea he was 6’1. Thought he was 5’11. Doesn’t look very big on skates

Marrelli is the smaller one. He’s 5’11” but he will likely play closer to 190 this season. If he can pack on a few pounds and get close to 190, I think it will help his game. He likes to be a bit more physical and leverage guys more. The extra weight will help that.
Official Height /Weight were taken at the combine and Mews is 6ft 1/4 inch .
Marelli does not project at the position. Protz on the other hand at 6-2 210 with wheels and IQ projects very nicely in todays NHL

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I still think that the org has little to do with the drop in value for Mews and Marelli.

If I was Mews I would have Kevin Bahl's phone number and be talking to him.

If I was Marelli then this year I would put on the muscle and go into beast mode. Anything standing in front of the net does not stand for more than 1 Mississippi. Anyone going into the corner comes out wondering about the licence plate of the truck that just hit him.

Marrellis's problem is a coach who does not know how to coach defencemen and leave them in a pairing, and the fact that LHD was plentiful.

BTW there are NO 67's on the 2025 ranking

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Official Height /Weight were taken at the combine and Mews is 6ft 1/4 inch .
Marelli does not project at the position. Protz on the other hand at 6-2 210 with wheels and IQ projects very nicely in todays NHL

I like Protz a lot. That trade was a steal for them.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
he’s signed to a pro deal, Edmonton holds the cards
I’m aware of that. Gosh people have to always look so smart but in the end they don’t even answer the question lol.

Still didnt answer my question. If he is back, do the 67’s keep him as their OA core or do you guys look to sell him for some assets?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I’m aware of that. Gosh people have to always look so smart but in the end they don’t even answer the question lol.

Still didnt answer my question. If he is back, do the 67’s keep him as their OA core or do you guys look to sell him for some assets?
well, how can anyone know if they don’t k ow if he’s back?

unless James Boyd is posting on here, @OMG67 is that you James?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The assumption is Stonehouse will return since he will be out until December recovering from shoulder surgery. I think he will be traded. Whether he is traded to start the season or after a few rehab “show me” games, I don’t know.

My assumption is the 67’s go with MacK, Gerrior, and one of Mayich or Sirman on defence. I think it will be Sirman with Mayich getting traded but that is just speculation on my part.

Reactions: tjziel

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The assumption is Stonehouse will return since he will be out until December recovering from shoulder surgery. I think he will be traded. Whether he is traded to start the season or after a few rehab “show me” games, I don’t know.

My assumption is the 67’s go with MacK, Gerrior, and one of Mayich or Sirman on defence. I think it will be Sirman with Mayich getting traded but that is just speculation on my part.
if he’s hurt then they won’t love him until December. Bring on a contract good chance he will be on ahl/nhl deal until he’s cleared

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Appreciate the input, that’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for, and you answered my question lol.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
if he’s hurt then they won’t love him until December. Bring on a contract good chance he will be on ahl/nhl deal until he’s cleared

It is tough to say because he was injured as a Junior. So, IMO it is likely they reassign him to the OHL to start the year. He would remain on the 67’s roster as an OA through the November deadline when they need to get down to four OA’s. The 67’s then would need to make a decision if they have five OA’s rostered. If they only have the four rostered then that makes it pretty easy. They play the other three until he returns from injury, rotate the four when he returns from injury. Then sometime between then and the deadline they make a trade.

You may be correct, though. Edmonton could AHL roster him, pay him about $30k to rehab through December and then reassign him. I doubt they would NHL Injured Reserve him. That would be real $$$ to do so.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Whether he is in Alberta or Ontario, you can bet that the experts in Edmonton will be in charge of his rehab and surgery.
After that, it will be a case of where he can play . It would not surprise me to see him in the AHL for a few games so that they can take a look at his shoulder before they turn him over to anyone else at the OHL level.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
LOL you can not write this any better
Bahlk and Okituk played to gether in Ottawa
p;ayed together on the Jersy AHl team

NOW they are playing together in Calgary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad