OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Any must-sees in Denver? At the airport, heading out for a concert at Red Rocks on Thursday (bucket list). Were going to Uber to Golden one day and don’t have a ton of time, so looking for anything bar/restaurant/attraction-wise in Denver!
I went to grad school in Boulder. You’ll have more fun there than in Golden, if you’re inclined to get out of Denver proper. Plus, you can get a hourly city bus to get you there, for a fraction of the Uber cost.

In Denver, City Park is awesome, cool murals in the Rino neighborhood and an unreal Pilsner at Bierstadt Lagerhaus, modern art and Clifford Styll museums, get dinner on the balcony at El Five…LoDo is super touristy, but fun if there’s a Rockies game. Try out a kayak on the South Platte River at REI. My Brothers Bar is the oldest bar in Denver and a place Neal Cassady used to hang out.

As it seems you’re going to see my dear friends Guster (DM me for details if you’re curious - doubt I can get you backstage passes this close to the show date, but I’ll ask, and Brian almost always goes out to meet fans after the show) at Red Rocks on Thursday, I recommend going to the park early in the day and exploring the outdoor activities. Dinosaur footprints, among other sights. The amphitheater is open to the public on non- show dates; you can go stand on the stage. Not sure if that’s an option before the bands load in on show dates.

Too bad you don’t have more time, because I’d love nothing more than to send you all over the foothills.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I went to grad school in Boulder. You’ll have more fun there than in Golden, if you’re inclined to get out of Denver proper. Plus, you can get a hourly city bus to get you there, for a fraction of the Uber cost.

In Denver, City Park is awesome, cool murals in the Rino neighborhood and an unreal Pilsner at Bierstadt Lagerhaus, modern art and Clifford Styll museums, get dinner on the balcony at El Five…LoDo is super touristy, but fun if there’s a Rockies game. Try out a kayak on the South Platte River at REI. My Brothers Bar is the oldest bar in Denver and a place Neal Cassady used to hang out.

As it seems you’re going to see my dear friends Guster (DM me for details if you’re curious - doubt I can get you backstage passes this close to the show date, but I’ll ask, and Brian almost always goes out to meet fans after the show) at Red Rocks on Thursday, I recommend going to the park early in the day and exploring the outdoor activities. Dinosaur footprints, among other sights. The amphitheater is open to the public on non- show dates; you can go stand on the stage. Not sure if that’s an option before the bands load in on show dates.

Too bad you don’t have more time, because I’d love nothing more than to send you all over the foothills.

I'd also add if there's time, go to Cherry Cricket for burgers and fried Mac and Cheese

Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Coco has a weird obsession

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 2

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Do colonoscopy prep instructions always like the ones you get for surgery? I have one August 15th (I’m fine, just precautionary) and they have a legit timeline I have to follow including a pre-op like consult a few days beforehand.
You should absolutely follow them to the letter. I’ve had a few of these done and they had changed the process and I didn’t do one of the steps. The test was inconclusive and I had to redo it less than a year later but with a 48 hour fast to ensure it would work. I was basically hallucinating about food after those 2 days.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

Yeah, we have a friend in Breckenridge and won’t be able to get out to see him either. Definitely going to need to come back when we have more time to explore different areas.

25 years ago I did a week driving around Colorado with my mom and aunt following my cousin who was skiing in a bunch of races. It’s a beautiful state.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Any must-sees in Denver? At the airport, heading out for a concert at Red Rocks on Thursday (bucket list). Were going to Uber to Golden one day and don’t have a ton of time, so looking for anything bar/restaurant/attraction-wise in Denver!
any dispensary. they have really good weed/edibles there.

• Love
Reactions: NeelyDan

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
You should absolutely follow them to the letter. I’ve had a few of these done and they had changed the process and I didn’t do one of the steps. The test was inconclusive and I had to redo it less than a year later but with a 48 hour fast to ensure it would work. I was basically hallucinating about food after those 2 days.
I am planning to follow them to a tee. I am not messing this up especially b/c I had to get approval from insurance due to my age. I've never had one and wasn't sure if every place treats them like you're going in for surgery.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
One of the fun parts of having a Bruins bar is that technicians who come to service our AC or furnace always end up being Leafs fans....and do a double take while groaning as they walk down into it.

Today we had the AC tech here and he loved it, even though he is a Leafs fan. He actually has known Matt Poitras since he was a baby. He said he would try to get me something autographed, but I highly doubt that will happen. Cool story though! Our next door neighbours are the Widemans - Dennis' brother. Our old neighbours were cousins of Stan Jonathan, so many connections around these parts!

1722362198774.jpeg

1722362222117.jpeg

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since I been laid off the days are long and boring not much to do but wait for replies on applications and clean.

Some days are harder than the others

Hate just sitting around

2 interviews tomorrow with Aramark

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You don't get paid minimum wage as a waitress or waiter. You used to generally get less than $3.00 per hour because you're expected to be tipped. It's up to less than $5 per hour now in MA. If you're talking counter service, that's optional. If you're talking about curbside pickup, you should definitely tip at least a few bucks, or get your ass out of your car and get it yourself.

And as someone that's waited tables, I can say there are a lot of jerks out there that expect you to drop everything you're doing and be at their beck and call for their entire time at your table. And they generally are the stingiest and tip the shittiest.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
You don't get paid minimum wage as a waitress or waiter. You used to generally get less than $3.00 per hour because you're expected to be tipped. It's up to less than $5 per hour now in MA. If you're talking counter service, that's optional. If you're talking about curbside pickup, you should definitely tip at least a few bucks, or get your ass out of your car and get it yourself.

And as someone that's waited tables, I can say there are a lot of jerks out there that expect you to drop everything you're doing and be at their beck and call for their entire time at your table. And they generally are the stingiest and tip the shittiest.

I have never waited tables, thank God, nor worked n the food service industry hospitality or, again restaurants.

However, I have extensive experience in retail.

It remains my contention that before entering the workplace, everyone should be required to work at least three months in retail, hospitality, food service, etc.

Perhaps then, they would understand what it's like to work in these jobs and demonstrate a bit more empathy, consideration, and appreciation for such folks.

No Karen, the world does not revolve around you.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I have never waited tables, thank God, your work in the food service industry hospitality for, again restaurants.

However, I have extensive experience in retail.

It remains my contention that before entering the workplace, everyone should be required to work at least three months in retail, hospitality, food service, etc.

Perhaps then, they would understand what it's like to work in these jobs and demonstrate a bit more empathy, consideration, and appreciation for such folks.

No Karen, the world does not revolve around you.

As my dear old dad used to say "You know why people abuse waitresses? Because they think they can." (sorry about the non-PC term, he was around way before PC was a thing).

Dad always tipped very well, and treated all staff with the dignity and respect they deserved. And wouldn't you know, he was treated like royalty in any restaurant he frequented.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Do as Rocco says. To the letter. Its not fun. An inconvenience if you will.
But dont half ass it. ( pun intended)
Mixing up posts here, but as my manager at Argonaut Wine 🍷 & Liquor 🥃 in Denver said when facing a similar circumstance, "I just want to get it behind me."

Chris is a joker and a great manager.

I doubt you'll get down to Colfax Avenue but if you do, check it. It's the largest liquor emporium in Denver.

I have never once watched that show. If I worked in an office, I certainly wouldn't want to be reminded of doing so.

I am a Steve Carell fan, however.

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
As my dear old dad used to say "You know why people abuse waitresses? Because they think they can." (sorry about the non-PC term, he was around way before PC was a thing).

Dad always tipped very well, and treated all staff with the dignity and respect they deserved. And wouldn't you know, he was treated like royalty in any restaurant he frequented.
I believe I have mentioned previously that my father was a self-made man. Came from not very much and was what would have been described then as quote ethnic, unquote.

He put himself through U of D law school repossessing cars in the dead of night, etc.

He became a successful attorney. Successful enough, I don't mind bragging, to argue before the Supreme Court of the United States.

In the event, he never forgot where he came from. And he impressed the importance of respect, appreciation and gratitude on his eight children.

One time, my sister Mary Patricia, Patter, blew by the doorman at a restaurant without bothering to acknowledge his existence.

My father took her aside and told her never to do that again.

As you say, unless they demonstrate otherwise, *everyone* deserves to be treated with respect.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Whales Tale water park in NH, give me your reviews! Seems like the best in New England according to the internet

@TD Charlie
Oh hell yeah. My favorite! I could go on all day about this place.

It was MUCH better 25 years ago, as they’ve changed a couple of their best slides. It’s still tops for me. Crowds are typically pretty tame. It’s a very small layout so you won’t be walking all over the place, easy to find space to put your things, and the slides are the perfect thrill level for kids.

We did it last year, my kids were 8/8/11, and I probably could’ve just sat down in the lounger and let them run around all day on their own. It’s small enough that i wasn’t worried.

The biggest drawback is staffing. Last year at least. The two best sides on the far side (a toilet bowl and a two man quarter pipe, idk the names) often alternate open/close for a half hour or so. On the day we went there was no warning when they were shutting one down either. So we waited 5-10 minutes just for them to say too bad so sad we are opening the other slide now.

Food is overpriced and average. We bring a soft cooler with sandwiches and our own drinks. And a tote bag of towels and snacks.

If you go, buy in advance i think it saves a few bucks. There are a few shaded areas to the right of the park in front of the toilet bowl that look private, but we set up shop there every time.

Kids area is pretty good too, even our thriller seekers ran around over there for a bit to get soaked before jumping onto the sides.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Another thought: If you're a regular at a local place and get to know the staff and strike up a good rapport with them, then you should tip well and they'll take care of you back. But if you're at some Olive Garden 45 minutes away and know you're unlikely to come back, I wouldn't go out of my way for more than a standard tip. It's all relational in the end.
The problem is that as a society we've collectively decided that servers need tips to have a living wage. Does it actually lower overall costs to the consumer? Doubt it, it probably just lets bad restaurants hang on longer than they should. But that's the reality, and if you chose to partake in restaurant dining in the US, tipping at least 18% should just be considered part of the bill. I tend to hit 25% mostly, bad people get 20%, good people maybe I'll go higher. I'd rather my burger cost an extra 2 bucks and they made a decent wage, but thats not reality.

Not singling you out specifically, just happened to be the post I quoted. Europeans complaining about tipping and begrudgingly tipping like 5% because it's not how they do things goes so far up my tailpipe it's not funny - and I've never even been a server! Bad tippers are a pet peeve.

Best dating advice I ever got was to see how your date treats your servers. They are on their best behavior with you on the date, but look at how they treat 'the help' to get an idea who they really are.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad