OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree with you. If the place is a madhouse it is almost a cinch you won't get waited on the way you might otherwise. You have to roll with it and not be an asshole.

The minimum wage in CT is now $15.69. If someone is making that much do they even need a tip???? It was one thing when they were making less than minimum but now?? :dunno:
You don't get paid minimum wage as a waitress or waiter. You used to generally get less than $3.00 per hour because you're expected to be tipped. It's up to less than $5 per hour now in MA. If you're talking counter service, that's optional. If you're talking about curbside pickup, you should definitely tip at least a few bucks, or get your ass out of your car and get it yourself.

And as someone that's waited tables, I can say there are a lot of jerks out there that expect you to drop everything you're doing and be at their beck and call for their entire time at your table. And they generally are the stingiest and tip the shittiest.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Another thought: If you're a regular at a local place and get to know the staff and strike up a good rapport with them, then you should tip well and they'll take care of you back. But if you're at some Olive Garden 45 minutes away and know you're unlikely to come back, I wouldn't go out of my way for more than a standard tip. It's all relational in the end.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
For those of you who gave advice a few weeks back regarding my youngest daughter's softball decision, she made her choice. Pretty crazy how it all played out and very surprising. She officially got three offers from different teams and had another organization begging us to not accept any offer until we had a chance to meet with them. She was guaranteed to be the focus on two of the three teams, where she'd play her desired position and every second of every game and be the star of the team. She ended up picking the most senior team with the deepest roster where she'll have to earn every minute of playing time because she felt their coaching and standards were higher than the other teams and would make her work harder and grow more. While I was personally thinking she was going to go to the team that's been chasing her for two years, and my wife was hoping she stayed with her team from this past season, she shocked us all and chose the harder path.

I can't say that it's what I would have done, but I can say how proud I am for her being so open to taking a far bigger risk than she had to. The kid surprised the f*** out of me, tbh, but in the best possible way.
You are doing a good job Dad!

• Love
Reactions: LSCII

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm kinda curious as to where people draw the tipping line... wait staff aside ...

Hairdresser
Massage therapist
Nail salon
Fishing charter captain
Mail delivery
UPS

Now how about others service providers...

Mechanic
Plumber , home improvement contactors in general
Housekeeper
Landscaping
The vet who stays late to fit your dog in ?
Dog groomer

What is the criteria to say yes or no
Don't have a hairdresser (cut and color my own) massage therapist, nail salon (do my own toes), Don't tip the UPS.

Don't tip my mechanic or plumber as they make lots of $$$.

Don't have a housekeeper.

Tip my lawn care guy

Don't tip the vet.

I tip the lady who comes in to feed my cats when I am away...at least 20%

I tip the guys who work on the schooner that I go to every year...at least 20 %

I also tip the guy at the Garden who sells me my $6 water. Not his fault

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The only time we didn't tip a server was years ago and we took our two young daughters out for supper. We ordered the kid's menu for our youngest and the waitress wouldn't believe that she was under 12. She argued with us....lol I said "we could have ordered take out and just picked it up", it was so ridiculous. We asked for the manager, and magically they took the order. She was actually quite nasty, no way she was getting a tip. We also never returned to that location.
We were at a restaurant once (Bertucci's) and the waitress spilled a huge soda with ice all over me (into my purse as well). She just walked away and did not offer extra napkins or anything. I was soaked...plus she was pissy at us. She was mad because we grabbed napkins from another table. She got no tip. We ended up picking up the ice cubes off the floor so no one else would step on them and fall.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm kinda curious as to where people draw the tipping line... wait staff aside ...

Hairdresser yes
Massage therapist never been, but when purchased appointments for others I throw in for a tip as well
Nail salon see above
Fishing charter captain yes
Mail delivery christmas tip
UPS no

Now how about others service providers...

Mechanic christmas gift
Plumber , home improvement contactors in general drinks/lunch offers
Housekeeper only time i had a cleaner she was family and just working for extra UTT cash
Landscaping drinks/lunch
The vet who stays late to fit your dog in ? wtf?
Dog groomer yes

What is the criteria to say yes or no
Make up your own criteria. A decent starter for occasions you arent sure is, "is this person the owner of the business?" if not, tip

Also, as I mentioned before, tip well and tip often.

Reactions: Bocephus86

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
We were at a restaurant once (Bertucci's) and the waitress spilled a huge soda with ice all over me (into my purse as well). She just walked away and did not offer extra napkins or anything. I was soaked...plus she was pissy at us. She was mad because we grabbed napkins from another table. She got no tip. We ended up picking up the ice cubes off the floor so no one else would step on them and fall.
I’ve seen people have entire trays of food on them by servers. It’s hilarious when it happens.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

The minimum wage in CT is now $15.69. If someone is making that much do they even need a tip???? It was one thing when they were making less than minimum but now?? :dunno:
In CT it's $6.38 an hour - and will go up to $15.69 if the tips don't cover the difference. They're debating changing the law but that's what it is at the moment.

Another thought: If you're a regular at a local place and get to know the staff and strike up a good rapport with them, then you should tip well and they'll take care of you back. But if you're at some Olive Garden 45 minutes away and know you're unlikely to come back, I wouldn't go out of my way for more than a standard tip. It's all relational in the end.
I don't know - think those poor souls stuck working at places like the Olive Garden deserve all the help they can get

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
This was wicked pissah info.

I was born in VT and spent every summer as a kid there, but this boy’s a Masshole to the core.

Reactions: GordonHowe

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
In CT it's $6.38 an hour - and will go up to $15.69 if the tips don't cover the difference. They're debating changing the law but that's what it is at the moment.

I don't know - think those poor souls stuck working at places like the Olive Garden deserve all the help they can get
Depends on how many rounds of neverending soup and salad you get.

• Haha
Reactions: Over the volcano

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Life Pro Tip from Me.

Try to only hire sole proprietors for any work you need done (mechanic, home improvement). They seem to be the only ones who care about their work. Plus they are usually so busy they don't have time to up sell. Especially avoid companies that have sales people, their salary is built into your bid.

Then ask them for a discount to pay in Cash or even better, to barter for something you want to get rid of. I have gotten 10% of tree work for paying with cash and traded some oak logs for break work.

Also, once you have a good relationship going with a local carpenter, start picking their brain into who they use for x,y,z. You will get an opening into a world of trades that don't advertise. If they are a licensed trade, you can do a quick search on your states website to see if they are in face licensed.

When you call them (7am or 6pm is a good time to maybe get them on the line), make sure to name drop your friend in your message. They will reluctantly call back and schedule the work, then when they are done, offer to pay cash! I usually keep $5k in a safe at home to get discounts different things.

And no, you don't need to tip them.
I do the bolded part as well. I have a few friends that are contractors, and they are connected so I have a referral for any type of contract work that I need. And after they give me an estimate, I ask if there is a cash price. 100% of the time, the answer is yes, and it always at a good discount. My daughters laugh at me when I say "cash is king", but it is still true for contractors who are not part of a large company.

The other place cash still works is at hotels, for room upgrades and early check-ins. At a work event last year, when we had over 100 people checking in on the same day, I got into a room at 2:00 pm when others were waiting until 5:30 or so. And the tip to get an upgrade is lower than the actual price of the upgraded room, so everyone wins (except the mega corporation that owns the hotel chain).

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I do the bolded part as well. I have a few friends that are contractors, and they are connected so I have a referral for any type of contract work that I need. And after they give me an estimate, I ask if there is a cash price. 100% of the time, the answer is yes, and it always at a good discount. My daughters laugh at me when I say "cash is king", but it is still true for contractors who are not part of a large company.

The other place cash still works is at hotels, for room upgrades and early check-ins. At a work event last year, when we had over 100 people checking in on the same day, I got into a room at 2:00 pm when others were waiting until 5:30 or so. And the tip to get an upgrade is lower than the actual price of the upgraded room, so everyone wins (except the mega corporation that owns the hotel chain).
Last week we booked a hotel for three days but ended up needing to extend another two nights because the apartment we had lined up for the rest of the trip wouldn't be ready yet. The front desk was giving us a high price to extend the stay, so we went and sat in the lobby and went online to one of those booking sites and reserved the same hotel for like $20 cheaper per night than the front desk was offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad