OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Back when I was in middle school (hell, it may have been high school!) it was the cool thing to go to the local breakfast joint in town on a half day. I went with a group of friends, probably 5-6 of us, and it was particularly busy. This is a very small place, a shitty little townie diner owned and operated for years by little old ladies. It's never been known for fantastic service, but these grannies serve a great breakfast and it was dirt cheap

On this day the service was insanely slow. We were there well over an hour once we sat down. I don't think there were any complaints other than that, but we were kids, we had trouble to cause around town with the day ahead of us. I'm sure we weren't perfect customers either.

I only tell the tale because I think we tipped like a dollar 40, or maybe just a flat 40 cents, because it rounded up to the nearest 5 or something. I still think about it from time to time and how we acted like petulant children, because we were petulant children. We should know better now. That was far from my proudest moment

I've never regretted being too generous. A couple bucks isn't going to put me in financial ruins, but it could put a smile on someones face. Not to mention, everybody has their own shit. Maybe service is slow because a fryer went down, the POS system crashed, half the staff went home sick, idk shit happens. Maybe the server is just having a hard day ffs.

Tip well. Tip often. Period.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
The only one coming off as entitled here is you.

Personally I don't like it when they come to the table often, or ask how I liked it, or if I need anything. To me, if there's something I need I will ask for it. But none of that matters one way or another when it comes to them getting paid. I would love to see your reaction if one of your customers paid you less because they thought you didn't check in with them enough to ask if they were ok and stroke their ego.
You are reading this entirely wrong

So you think you are owed a tip for not providing service? The world does not owe you anything for doing nothing

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
As someone whos worked in a few kitchens. Not ALL servers deserve tips trust me. There are however some who go above and beyond or are just good at their job.

One of the servers got $1000 in tips one night. But shes a good looking girl with a good personality.

Then there are ones like the one whod always come back to the kitchen like f*** these people f*** them f*** what they want lmao

If I have a few dollars or a tip thing pops up ill give a few dollars.

I dont tip on take out. Like why am I tipping u for handing me the bag when I know the kitchen did all the work lmao

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
You are reading this entirely wrong

So you think you are owed a tip for not providing service? The world does not owe you anything for doing nothing

If. You. Got. Food. You. Got. Service.

I understand increasing your tip for great service, but not tipping at all is vile. Vile. Stay the f*** home if you're going to make someone work for free.

Pretty sure you still got paid when you did a shitty job at work.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Yeah im going to interact with a gator.

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpeg
    IMG_3058.jpeg
    458.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I overtip. These people don't make much...if the service is a little off I just chalk it up to them having a bad day, why make it worse. My haircut is 27 bucks. The lady who does it get's like 5 bucks of it, so I tip her 20. When I go out to eat, it's usually 25 pct, sometimes 30. Tips these days are shared by the entire staff a lot of times, at least where I live it seems to be the case.

I understand increasing your tip for great service, but not tipping at all is vile. Vile. Stay the f*** home if you're going to make someone work for free.

hopefully he doesn't go to the same place that much, because he's certainly getting special ingredients at this point.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I'll actually leave this with you guys. If you have the financial means, pay for a person you see eating alone. Pull the waiter/waitress aside and ask if you can pay for it and put the tip in it on your way out after finishing. I guarantee you, that person will feel loved and probably pay it forward in spades, and the world can use a shit load of people doing nice things for another shit load of people.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I'll actually leave this with you guys. If you have the financial means, pay for a person you see eating alone. Pull the waiter/waitress aside and ask if you can pay for it and put the tip in it on your way out after finishing. I guarantee you, that person will feel loved and probably pay it forward in spades, and the world can use a shit load of people doing nice things for another shit load of people.
I have done that at a toll booth back before ez pass when there was actually a person in the booth

Reactions: BMC and LouJersey

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Throwing my hat into the tipping argument here.

I get where @shelbysdad is coming from. If I go out to eat, and the server does nothing aside from take an order, and bring my food when it's ready for the whole meal, after having to flag them down 3 times to get one refill, all while standing around on their phone? I'm sorry I'm not going to leave them a big tip, that's an absurd mindset. I'll still leave them something because no one should work for free, but if you do the bare minimum, I'm absolutely not leaving you 20%.

That being said, if theyre slammed and just running around like crazy and forget/can't come back often, thats an entirely different situation they'll get their tip. Can't stand people who cant understand that a waiter/waitress being super busy and having a huge section, doesn't warrant having patience.

Also, tipping on pick up is just gross to me too.

Maybe I'm archaic, but tipping culture in this country sucks.

Reactions: Orr Fourever

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For those of you who gave advice a few weeks back regarding my youngest daughter's softball decision, she made her choice. Pretty crazy how it all played out and very surprising. She officially got three offers from different teams and had another organization begging us to not accept any offer until we had a chance to meet with them. She was guaranteed to be the focus on two of the three teams, where she'd play her desired position and every second of every game and be the star of the team. She ended up picking the most senior team with the deepest roster where she'll have to earn every minute of playing time because she felt their coaching and standards were higher than the other teams and would make her work harder and grow more. While I was personally thinking she was going to go to the team that's been chasing her for two years, and my wife was hoping she stayed with her team from this past season, she shocked us all and chose the harder path.

I can't say that it's what I would have done, but I can say how proud I am for her being so open to taking a far bigger risk than she had to. The kid surprised the f*** out of me, tbh, but in the best possible way.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

I get where @shelbysdad is coming from. If I go out to eat, and the server does nothing aside from take an order, and bring my food when it's ready for the whole meal, after having to flag them down 3 times to get one refill, all while standing around on their phone? I'm sorry I'm not going to leave them a big tip, that's an absurd mindset. I'll still leave them something because no one should work for free, but if you do the bare minimum, I'm absolutely not leaving you 20%.

That being said, if theyre slammed and just running around like crazy and forget/can't come back often, thats an entirely different situation they'll get their tip. Can't stand people who cant understand that a waiter/waitress being super busy and having a huge section, doesn't warrant having patience.

I'm kinda curious as to where people draw the tipping line... wait staff aside ...

Hairdresser
Massage therapist
Nail salon
Fishing charter captain
Mail delivery
UPS

Now how about others service providers...

Mechanic
Plumber , home improvement contactors in general
Housekeeper
Landscaping
The vet who stays late to fit your dog in ?
Dog groomer

What is the criteria to say yes or no

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

The only time we didn't tip a server was years ago and we took our two young daughters out for supper. We ordered the kid's menu for our youngest and the waitress wouldn't believe that she was under 12. She argued with us....lol I said "we could have ordered take out and just picked it up", it was so ridiculous. We asked for the manager, and magically they took the order. She was actually quite nasty, no way she was getting a tip. We also never returned to that location.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I tip in bars/dispensary, restaurants, hairdresser, nail tech, food delivery, furniture delivery/moving people. Give my cleaning lady a month fee as a “tip” at Christmas.

If I hire someone for a household task through TaskRabbit or something i usually tip since they are working for an app. Generally speaking if I’m not sure, I tip. You have to really suck to get less than 20% from me at a restaurant.

Counter service and pickup, I don’t tip.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Life Pro Tip from Me.

Try to only hire sole proprietors for any work you need done (mechanic, home improvement). They seem to be the only ones who care about their work. Plus they are usually so busy they don't have time to up sell. Especially avoid companies that have sales people, their salary is built into your bid.

Then ask them for a discount to pay in Cash or even better, to barter for something you want to get rid of. I have gotten 10% of tree work for paying with cash and traded some oak logs for break work.

Also, once you have a good relationship going with a local carpenter, start picking their brain into who they use for x,y,z. You will get an opening into a world of trades that don't advertise. If they are a licensed trade, you can do a quick search on your states website to see if they are in face licensed.

When you call them (7am or 6pm is a good time to maybe get them on the line), make sure to name drop your friend in your message. They will reluctantly call back and schedule the work, then when they are done, offer to pay cash! I usually keep $5k in a safe at home to get discounts different things.

And no, you don't need to tip them.

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I tip in bars/dispensary, restaurants, hairdresser, nail tech, food delivery, furniture delivery/moving people. Give my cleaning lady a month fee as a “tip” at Christmas.

If I hire someone for a household task through TaskRabbit or something i usually tip since they are working for an app. Generally speaking if I’m not sure, I tip. You have to really suck to get less than 20% from me at a restaurant.

Counter service and pickup, I don’t tip.
curious....i went for pizza with a friend....we walked in and ordered, then sat outside. They brought the pizza (2 slices) and we asked for cheese and napkins. We never saw them again until they brought the bill. We did however notice them on their phones behind the counter laughing and talking.....would you have tipped?

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
For those of you who gave advice a few weeks back regarding my youngest daughter's softball decision, she made her choice. Pretty crazy how it all played out and very surprising. She officially got three offers from different teams and had another organization begging us to not accept any offer until we had a chance to meet with them. She was guaranteed to be the focus on two of the three teams, where she'd play her desired position and every second of every game and be the star of the team. She ended up picking the most senior team with the deepest roster where she'll have to earn every minute of playing time because she felt their coaching and standards were higher than the other teams and would make her work harder and grow more. While I was personally thinking she was going to go to the team that's been chasing her for two years, and my wife was hoping she stayed with her team from this past season, she shocked us all and chose the harder path.

I can't say that it's what I would have done, but I can say how proud I am for her being so open to taking a far bigger risk than she had to. The kid surprised the f*** out of me, tbh, but in the best possible way.
Great character move!

I have found time and time again that the best people I have worked with are always pushing themselves, sometime to the point of imposter syndrome. But they are always trying to get better.

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Life Pro Tip from Me.

Try to only hire sole proprietors for any work you need done (mechanic, home improvement). They seem to be the only ones who care about their work. Plus they are usually so busy they don't have time to up sell. Then ask them for a discount to pay in Cash or even better, to barter for something you want to get rid of. I have gotten 10% of tree work for paying with cash and traded some oak logs for break work.

Also, once you have a good relationship going with a local carpenter, start picking their brain into who they use for x,y,z. You will get an opening into a world of trades that don't advertise. When you call them, make sure to name drop in your message. They will reluctantly call back and schedule the work, then when they are done, offer to pay cash! I usually keep $5k in a safe at home to get discounts different things.

And no, you don't need to tip them.
my business is sole proprietor....i am way more attentive and do better work than the companies who just send employees who get an hourly rate and go home. my name is on the job and i get tons of referrals

an interesting thing is that i have had people not like my proposal, because i tell them real world thaings that may or may not happen, but i throw it out there so there are no surprises....i have had people not like that. i ask would you rather get a larger bill at the end because possibilities were not discussed or would you rather know up front that it may be more due to something i cant control?

Surprisingly some people dont want to know....and then hire someone else who ends up doing all the upgrades (the only upgrades i do are necessary not as an upsale) and the final cost is 50% more than i would have charged

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
curious....i went for pizza with a friend....we walked in and ordered, then sat outside. They brought the pizza (2 slices) and we asked for cheese and napkins. We never saw them again until they brought the bill. We did however notice them on their phones behind the counter laughing and talking.....would you have tipped?

Assuming it was counter service and you were dining in, no, I wouldn’t have.

But I would have gotten up and asked for the items I needed when it was clear they weren’t coming back.

I tend to give hospitality workers slack and if I have an issue, give the establishment the opportunity to make it right.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm very frugal, the type to read every supermarket flyer to know where to go each week to save 20 cents per pound on tomatoes and chicken thighs. Growing up my family was paycheck to paycheck at times, and in my early adult years on my own I often had little to no money. So even though I'm doing alright for myself now, it's just burned into me to scrimp and save.

Because of that, tipping is an uncomfortable thing - a service charge in which the amount is completely up to you. It fries my brain because I'm frugal and try to save on anything so I don't want to get taken for a ride, but I don't want to look like an antisocial mooch so I'm not going to just stiff someone either. So I tip toward the lower end of the socially acceptable window at restaurants.

I wish they'd just integrate the tip into the prices of the food, haircut, etc. and give them normal wages so I don't have to be out here stressing over it when they shove a suggested tip touchscreen in my face after every service industry purchase.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Breweries where you order everything (drinks, food, etc.) at the bar then get a number are a grey area for me.

Honest question, do the bartenders get a normal wage? Or is it like a waiter?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Assuming it was counter service and you were dining in, no, I wouldn’t have.

But I would have gotten up and asked for the items I needed when it was clear they weren’t coming back.

I tend to give hospitality workers slack and if I have an issue, give the establishment the opportunity to make it right.
i went to my truck and got napkins.....lived without the cheese

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Well done young lady!!!! 🥎

• Love
Reactions: Mione134 and LSCII

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I agree with you. If the place is a madhouse it is almost a cinch you won't get waited on the way you might otherwise. You have to roll with it and not be an asshole.

The minimum wage in CT is now $15.69. If someone is making that much do they even need a tip???? It was one thing when they were making less than minimum but now?? :dunno:

Reactions: McGarnagle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad