OT - NO POLITICS Those Lazy Hazy Crazy Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I tip 20% no matter what. But if I know the server and am a frequent customer or if its good service ill give more.

Haircuts I tip $5 depending

Those the only places I tip or feel I need to tip

Last job I received tips. A frequent customer gave me $20 everytime when I gave him tastes of the ice cream we had

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
f***ING YIKES.

You know you don't have to put this shit online for strangers to see, right? You can just keep your awfulness quiet. Like your service in restaurants apparently, it's free not to say anything.
God forbid someone sees the world with common sense

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.
What a great post from the couch

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have got to find a way to do this :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

FB_IMG_1722213653943.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I have come to despise putting furniture together. I love my new chairs but next time I am hiring someone with a good back to put something together. I'll be in zero gravity mode for the rest of the weekend
Yep. I used to love this stuff. Spent a few hours on Friday night assembling chairs and beds and whatnot for the new house. Then was at the beach for 3 hours with the kids yesterday, and 3 hours in/out of the pool today. My body is in shambles right now. Thighs are screaming at me

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yep. I used to love this stuff. Spent a few hours on Friday night assembling chairs and beds and whatnot for the new house. Then was at the beach for 3 hours with the kids yesterday, and 3 hours in/out of the pool today. My body is in shambles right now. Thighs are screaming at me
I feel you. I installed a new headboard and getting under a sleep number bed was not kind to my poor left shoulder. Between that and 4 dining room chairs, my hips and lower back are screaming at me. Shockingly my legs feel good.

Reactions: BMC and TD Charlie

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Time flies...those with young ones, savour the days. This is my daughter about 25 years ago, reaching for the sunflower she grew (love the zebra feet...lol) She planted a horse chestnut around the same time from a tree down the street. Today I got her to pose for me beside that tree. She is an avid gardener now, she always loved helping in the garden.

1722215987253.png

1722216014655.png

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
View attachment 897626

View attachment 897633

View attachment 897628

Just eating some bananas and a left over pizza slice that my dad accidentally left outside.

I love these beautiful creatures.

A sight to see on this somber day for me.
Those black and white ones are called woods kitty....they love it if you run up to them to pet them...

That reminds me.... Dad joke incoming....
How do you keep a skunk from smelling?

Hold it's nose..

I'll show myself out now.

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and Mione134

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
I should never have to flag down wait staff.....pay attention to your customer and do your job.

Water is basic....so is asking if I need anything....so is asking if my meal is ok.....there is more to service than bringing food to the table.

A tip is supposed to be earned for good service, not something you are entitled to.

Have I been waiting staff? No but I have been a customer for 60 years and I know what good service is

I am also self employed and know if I provide crappy service my customers won't be happy

So yeah, do your job, do it well, you get a good tip.....forget I am your customer....I forget to tip you...earn it
Yikes indeed. I waited tables for a long time, got myself through college and law school working for tips. And just about everyone else I worked with was busting their humps trying to make ends meet or to try to make themselves better. I was lucky enough to earn enough in the summer to pay my state school tuition in cash.

Minimum wage for servers during that time was just over $2.00 per hour. After I got taxed on my tips, my paycheck was almost always $0.00.

I've never forgotten that I had a customer, but I've had to cover other peoples tables when they were in a jam; have had more than my share of rushes when everyone walks in at the same time; and have had to deal with shorthanded kitchens, bar staff and bussers where things don't go as smoothly as expected. So there were times when I couldn't get around to all of my tables as quickly as I would have liked. And as a result, customers occasionally had to suffer the indignity of having to ask to have their water glass refreshed.

Fortunately, one of the skills that I learned was to spot the unreasonably demanding customer who was going to leave a lousy tip no matter how many times I doted on them. So I was cognizant that I was not meeting their expectations. I was much better off focusing on the other tables with reasonable human beings and where I had a better chance to earn a good tip.

IMO, withholding a tip because you have to ask for a refill on water is a garbage move. To each their own, I guess.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Yikes indeed. I waited tables for a long time, got myself through college and law school working for tips. And just about everyone else I worked with was busting their humps trying to make ends meet or to try to make themselves better. I was lucky enough to earn enough in the summer to pay my state school tuition in cash.

Minimum wage for servers during that time was just over $2.00 per hour. After I got taxed on my tips, my paycheck was almost always $0.00.

I've never forgotten that I had a customer, but I've had to cover other peoples tables when they were in a jam; have had more than my share of rushes when everyone walks in at the same time; and have had to deal with shorthanded kitchens, bar staff and bussers where things don't go as smoothly as expected. So there were times when I couldn't get around to all of my tables as quickly as I would have liked. And as a result, customers occasionally had to suffer the indignity of having to ask to have their water glass refreshed.

Fortunately, one of the skills that I learned was to spot the unreasonably demanding customer who was going to leave a lousy tip no matter how many times I doted on them. So I was cognizant that I was not meeting their expectations. I was much better off focusing on the other tables with reasonable human beings and where I had a better chance to earn a good tip.

IMO, withholding a tip because you have to ask for a refill on water is a garbage move. To each their own, I guess.
It's not just the water
It's the doing a job poorly. A tip is not something you are entitled to but something you earn by doing your job. I am not rewarding someone for not providing me with a service.

I will give a great tip if you treat me like a customer should be treated. It is based on the service you provide. I have mentioned to the management staff when someone does a great job.

But to expect a tip when a job is done poorly is unreasonable and not something you are entitled to.
I was raised in a time when you get what you earn....no hand out

When I have no napkin, no drink and the only time I see the staff they are standing behind the counter on their phone.....yeah no way

• Haha
Reactions: EverettMike

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I had a summer intern that was a great worker, total hustler.

In addition to her internship she worked as a waitress at a pub and at a bagel shop ($15/hr base) on Saturday mornings. Pre-COVID she made more money as a waitress, post COVID with the Ipad tip screen she was making something like $40/hr at the bagel shop due to the crazy amount of trips from the new setup. Quit the waitress job and just worked at the bagel shop. Kinds of sheds some light into how crazy things have gotten.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It's not just the water
It's the doing a job poorly. A tip is not something you are entitled to but something you earn by doing your job. I am not rewarding someone for not providing me with a service.

I will give a great tip if you treat me like a customer should be treated. It is based on the service you provide. I have mentioned to the management staff when someone does a great job.

But to expect a tip when a job is done poorly is unreasonable and not something you are entitled to.
I was raised in a time when you get what you earn....no hand out

When I have no napkin, no drink and the only time I see the staff they are standing behind the counter on their phone.....yeah no way
That's pretty gross

Reactions: EverettMike

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
What do you define as "bad service" specifically?
Not coming back to the table...not bringing drinks, not asking if we need drinks, not asking if the meal is ok....do you need anything.... ketchup, napkins, etc

Having to ask for the check, while I see them on their phone....

Basic service

Reactions: LSCII

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Pretty gross to expect a TIP for bad or no service....guess I was brought up where you earned your money not something you are entitled to

Simple....want a tip ? Do your job
The only one coming off as entitled here is you.

Personally I don't like it when they come to the table often, or ask how I liked it, or if I need anything. To me, if there's something I need I will ask for it. But none of that matters one way or another when it comes to them getting paid. I would love to see your reaction if one of your customers paid you less because they thought you didn't check in with them enough to ask if they were ok and stroke their ego.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I had a summer intern that was a great worker, total hustler.

In addition to her internship she worked as a waitress at a pub and at a bagel shop ($15/hr base) on Saturday mornings. Pre-COVID she made more money as a waitress, post COVID with the Ipad tip screen she was making something like $40/hr at the bagel shop due to the crazy amount of trips from the new setup. Quit the waitress job and just worked at the bagel shop. Kinds of sheds some light into how crazy things have gotten.

Honestly the ipad tip screens are a fascinating glimpse into human nature/psychology. There's no requirement to tip and one of the options is no tip. But so many people wilt under the idea of being judged or being a "good person" that they comply and add a tip on the screen.

It's even more interesting when you consider that the majority of those same people have ignored countless tip jars in the past.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not coming back to the table...not bringing drinks, not asking if we need drinks, not asking if the meal is ok....do you need anything.... ketchup, napkins, etc

Having to ask for the check, while I see them on their phone....

Basic service

Unless you don't get your food brought to the table, you got service. They provided the only service you're actually guaranteed. You're tipping for that basic service because it's the dumb system we have in this country, but dumb or not by going to a restaurant you're agreeing to partake in that process. Refusing to tip because you didn't get treated like a special boy is gross, entitled behavior. You're making people work for free.

Sorry sometimes you have to ask for the check. Thoughts and prayers.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
I have only not tipped once, it was at beer works on Causeway, Probably 15-20 degrees out, before a concert at the Garden. Wife got water spilled on her by the waiter, like totally drenched her pants, very little apologies, no comps. Still kind of feel like a douche but she had to go back to the car and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad